The Student Room Group

Unsure on which Unis to shortlist

N/A
(edited 7 months ago)
Just apply to 2 for now and add your other three to your application after Christmas (but before the deadline) when you’ve had time to do more research and visit more.
Original post by LucasGeography
Hello, deciding on which Universities to shortlist, I'm just sharing the following ones which I'm considering- was just wondering if there were any red flags, or significantly weaker choices? Greatly apricated,
For context I want to study both Human and Physical Geography, however more 3:1 in favour of the human elements.
Here is the list:

Cambridge
UCL
LSE
Warwick
Sheffield
Bristol
Loughborough
Manchester
Durham
Southampton
Leeds
Lancaster
York

Also I need to decide which would be best suited between LSE and UCL- Thank you.

Hi!
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Lancaster studying Physical Geography. Lancaster do a range of geography degrees with the BA Geography being a mix of human and physical geography but with slightly more on the human side, or there's the BA in Human Geography which is predominately human. However, the Human modules you are able to pick in both these degrees are pretty similar, so it would maybe depend more about how much physical geography you want to do and which modules your most interested in. At Lancaster you can also do a year studying abroad or a placement year if this is something you're interested in. I'll attach both the pages for these degrees below so you can see the difference and the module options!

BA Geography - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/geography-ba-hons-l700/2024/
BA Human Geography - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/human-geography-ba-hons-l720/2024/

If you've got any further questions about studying geography at Lancaster or Lancaster in General feel free to ask.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Does Warwick do geography or do you mean their Global Sustainable Development degree? Research the modules at each uni and think about whether you want to be in a city or on a campus. That might help you narrow down the list. Good luck.
Original post by PQ
Just apply to 2 for now and add your other three to your application after Christmas (but before the deadline) when you’ve had time to do more research and visit more.

I haven't heard of that before however thats really useful, thank you
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Lancaster studying Physical Geography. Lancaster do a range of geography degrees with the BA Geography being a mix of human and physical geography but with slightly more on the human side, or there's the BA in Human Geography which is predominately human. However, the Human modules you are able to pick in both these degrees are pretty similar, so it would maybe depend more about how much physical geography you want to do and which modules your most interested in. At Lancaster you can also do a year studying abroad or a placement year if this is something you're interested in. I'll attach both the pages for these degrees below so you can see the difference and the module options!

BA Geography - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/geography-ba-hons-l700/2024/
BA Human Geography - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/human-geography-ba-hons-l720/2024/

If you've got any further questions about studying geography at Lancaster or Lancaster in General feel free to ask.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

We've been to the Lancaster open day and got a nice atmosphere from the place, could you provide me on more information on how you feel the quality of teaching is please?
Original post by Puppypower1
Does Warwick do geography or do you mean their Global Sustainable Development degree? Research the modules at each uni and think about whether you want to be in a city or on a campus. That might help you narrow down the list. Good luck.

Its a shame as Warwick was compelling but the lack of a 'Geography' degree puts me off
We've been to the Lancaster open day and got a nice atmosphere from the place, could you provide me on more information on how you feel the quality of teaching is please?

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Although I don't study geography, I can definitely answer this for you from a student's perspective in Lancaster.

From my experience, I believe the quality of teaching is excellent. Lecturers are friendly and happy for students to email them with queries as well as arrange meetings especially during assignments and exams. They are also really passionate about what they teach which keeps me motivated as a student. There is plenty of resources available such as books and journal articles in the Library plus various printing facilities. You can also access resources online at anytime. My department also provides me helpful resources from their side. I enjoy being taught here as the atmosphere is very welcoming and inclusive. It is pleasant being surrounded by nature helping me to concentrate on work when I need to. Overall, from my personal view, the teaching has been great.

Hope this helps :smile:

Smriti (Student Ambassador)

Look at The Student Room ‘Uni Guide’ for Lancaster and Geography (google that and it comes up). It gives a breakdown of how students rate their experience (staff make the subject interesting, staff are good at explaining things, ideas and concepts explored in depth etc plus metrics on feedback, resources etc)
Decide jf you want to apply to Oxbridge or not then figure out your other choices later.

LSE will much more emphasise the human geography side due to the emphasis of the university.
Hello, deciding on which Universities to shortlist, I'm just sharing the following ones which I'm considering- was just wondering if there were any red flags, or significantly weaker choices? Greatly apricated,
For context I want to study both Human and Physical Geography, however more 3:1 in favour of the human elements.
Here is the list:

Cambridge
UCL
LSE
Warwick
Sheffield
Bristol
Loughborough
Manchester
Durham
Southampton
Leeds
Lancaster
York

Also I need to decide which would be best suited between LSE and UCL- Thank you.

Cambridge is often regarded as one of if not the best university in the world and is a lovely city but do beware it’s terribly rigorous I’ remember walking around one of the collages 9because you can look round and hearing a girl say “It was so hot I had to stop working” which indicates to me you get so much work you’ve no free time. I also have here’d you have shrouded sessions if not lectures 7 days a week so be very sure and prepared for a lot of work before you firm theeI’d still say it’s worth applying though.

The other one I ‘d apply to is Southampton they have great Geography department with cutting edge tech Southampton is aloe great city for students it’s safe has a pretty nice entry and loads of clubs and everything is within walking distance although you might wan to take the bus to uni (it’s a long work from the centre (and you’ll want to be in the centre Mayflower halls look really nice) to Highfield So I’d also apply there it’s really a good place and almost everything is within walking distance and you do wan to avoid the hike in the morning the U1 bus if fairly frequent.

I don’t know much about the others but I’ve herd horror stories about Durham so you’ll want to verify those before you go there.
Here is the list:

Cambridge
UCL
LSE
Warwick
Sheffield
Bristol
Loughborough
Manchester
Durham
Southampton
Leeds
Lancaster
York

Hi @LucasGeography

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Loughborough!

We have two Geography courses here at Loughborough a Geography BSc and a Geography BA course. You can take a look at the course pages which I've linked to find out about the course content, entry requirements and the optional placement year / study abroad year (which both courses offer).

When trying to narrow down unis I found it helpful (after looking at the course content) to look at the location and how I would travel between home and uni, the accommodation available, the sports and societies on offer and also where I felt most at home. Once you narrow down your list a bit I would encourage you to visit the unis you apply to and also attend offer holder days when you get invited as these are not only a great chance to chat to staff and students but also see the uni and see how you think you'd fit in and whether you can envisage yourself living and studying there for the next 3+ years.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions just let us know :smile:

Jess
Here is the list:

Cambridge
UCL
LSE
Warwick
Sheffield
Bristol
Loughborough
Manchester
Durham
Southampton
Leeds
Lancaster
York

About UCL vs LSE, look at the gender ratios for your course in each uni as that could affect your opinion. UCL has a lot more students than LSE. LSE generally has higher career prospect stats but check your course. Also you can look at how high each uni is ranked for your course and how much funding they give. Also look at accomodation - maybe one has better accom than the other or is cheaper.

Hi,
Throughout my 2 years studying physical geography at Lancaster, the quality of teaching at Lancaster has honestly been great. The lecturers are really friendly and approachable and are always willing to spend extra time going over a particular concept if you don't understand it, or there even just happy to chat about there own subject area/current research if you've got a particular interest in it. As a physical geographer, i spend a lot of time in the Lab and the field, which i really enjoy being hands on, as you definitely get a greater understanding when you see something the the field/lab compared to in a lecturer. In terms of human geography, there is still lots of fieldtrips you can go on like to Croatia in your 3rd year, as well as lots of UK fieldtrips throughout your degree.
If you've got anymore questions, feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending