The Student Room Group

Anxiety on a Teaching Degree

Hello,

I am currently in my first year doing a teaching degree and I have suffered with anxiety all my life. I have been dealing with it really well, but a few days ago, I witnessed a friend falling ill whilst at university and having to be taken to hospital. The whole situation was terrifying, and I think I went into a state of shock afterwards. Since then, I have had an overwhelming sense of anxiety, not just in social situations, but also just sitting around at home.

I knew what to do if my friend fell ill, as she had spoken about it in the past, but I just panicked and let others take over. It scares me because she's my friend, and what if it happens again when she's alone with me? I don't know how I'll react.

I was wondering if it would be OK to speak to my lecturer about this. Would they kick me off the course for poor mental health? I don't really know what I'd gain from speaking to my lecturer, but I don't really know what else to do.

I suppose I'm just posting this as a way of seeing what others would do in my situation. Am I overreacting? Should I just carry on and will this eventually just go away?

I could barely concentrate in my lecture the other day because I just felt so sick with anxiety, I'm worried that it will have a negative effect on my education.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am currently in my first year doing a teaching degree and I have suffered with anxiety all my life. I have been dealing with it really well, but a few days ago, I witnessed a friend falling ill whilst at university and having to be taken to hospital. The whole situation was terrifying, and I think I went into a state of shock afterwards. Since then, I have had an overwhelming sense of anxiety, not just in social situations, but also just sitting around at home.

I knew what to do if my friend fell ill, as she had spoken about it in the past, but I just panicked and let others take over. It scares me because she's my friend, and what if it happens again when she's alone with me? I don't know how I'll react.

I was wondering if it would be OK to speak to my lecturer about this. Would they kick me off the course for poor mental health? I don't really know what I'd gain from speaking to my lecturer, but I don't really know what else to do.

I suppose I'm just posting this as a way of seeing what others would do in my situation. Am I overreacting? Should I just carry on and will this eventually just go away?

I could barely concentrate in my lecture the other day because I just felt so sick with anxiety, I'm worried that it will have a negative effect on my education.

Thanks for your help.

Hello, sorry to hear about your anxiety at Uni regarding your friend. A good first step could be to see what mental health support you currently have at your University, and speak to someone that is trained to deal with these kind of issues. Here is a good tool which may help you to find what support is available where you are studying: https://studentspace.org.uk/find-support
I hope it helps :h:

Quick Reply

Latest