The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine and head girl

Is it possible to apply for medicine and be head girl? Do you think I might mess up my university application by being head girl?
Why might it mess it up?
I think it will make it even better! When you show universities how committed you are at what you love to do, they will be impressed! Especially when your putting yourself outside your comfort zone. It is hard being head girl, so when you actually take these responsibilities they will probably be more likely to accept you, as they want great people in their university. But you still have to work hard regardless of what you choose to do in this situation, so take the decision that is most appealing to you.
Reply 3
Apply by all means, but remember, there's (usually) only 1 head girl in your whole year group, so don't be too excited lest disappointment.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Why might it mess it up?

I meant that I might not be able to spend enough time studying for my a levels or doing interview prep because it is a fairly demanding role
Reply 5
Then don't do it.

No-one gets interviewed for Med just because they say they are 'Head Girl' - those days are, thankfully, long gone.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr.SmartGalal
I think it will make it even better! When you show universities how committed you are at what you love to do, they will be impressed! Especially when your putting yourself outside your comfort zone. It is hard being head girl, so when you actually take these responsibilities they will probably be more likely to accept you, as they want great people in their university. But you still have to work hard regardless of what you choose to do in this situation, so take the decision that is most appealing to you.

Med schools are not going to be impressed by somebody being head girl and it is not going to make them more likely to accept someone. They are interested in what has been learned from any experiences and how it relates to being a Dr, not the experience itself, eg Head Girl, DoE, etc
Personally I'd say don't do anything just for the "badge"
Original post by GANFYD
Med schools are not going to be impressed by somebody being head girl and it is not going to make them more likely to accept someone. They are interested in what has been learned from any experiences and how it relates to being a Dr, not the experience itself, eg Head Girl, DoE, etc

You’re right, but that is a different topic related to work experience. Being head girl is more like ‘leadership experience’ rather than ‘healthcare experience’. This extra experience is good, it will make her look better compared to someone who is only focused on things related to being a doctor.
I think it is quite hard to balance medicine applications and A levels at the same time as it is. Medicine is very time consuming application process and can be quite draining.

Especially if you are trying to balance it with a public facing job, which gives a lot of positive reflection opportunities and more targeted caring / healthcare work experience and volunteering (not just the doing, but the getting it is hard).

I know people who apply to medicine are often very competent and good at managing their time, however I think you are right to think carefully about how many demanding roles / activities you are taking on at the same time.

The more of all of the above you can squeeze in during year 12 rather than trying to do it all in year 13 the better !
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.SmartGalal
You’re right, but that is a different topic related to work experience. Being head girl is more like ‘leadership experience’ rather than ‘healthcare experience’. This extra experience is good, it will make her look better compared to someone who is only focused on things related to being a doctor.

Yes, leadership experience is good, as I say, it is what is learned from the experience and how it is related to medicine that is important. Leadership experience could come from a hospital, sports, extra-curricular stuff, anywhere and med school is not going to be impressed just because someone is head girl, they are looking that they have demonstrated (or at least have an awareness about) leadership skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending