The Student Room Group

Personal statement (volunteering/work experience suggestions)

Hi 👋. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of volunteering/work experience etc I need to have a strong personal statement for medicine at the university of Glasgow. So far I have done 10 hours of work experience at a pharmacy. I understand that it’s a bit late into the summer holidays but I would really appreciate any help. Thank you 🙏
Reply 1
Original post by Jammacaroni
Hi 👋. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of volunteering/work experience etc I need to have a strong personal statement for medicine at the university of Glasgow. So far I have done 10 hours of work experience at a pharmacy. I understand that it’s a bit late into the summer holidays but I would really appreciate any help. Thank you 🙏

Could you source work experience at a hospital or GP practice. Usually schools help you get placements because they are so competitive. Maybe care work if anything in a clinical setting is unavailable to you.

(I've moved your thread to the medicine section and amended the title slightly to encourage some useful replies.)

Most med schools will list their accepted experience requirements on their websites. Although Glasgow don't list any, it might be worth looking at other med schools for ideas.
I’d suggest volunteering in both clinical and non clinical settings to show that you’re both really interested in the career and also a very rounded person with other interests. For example, I’m a volunteer leader at a brownie group every week. Whilst it isn’t necessarily clinical/related to me degree, it’s allowed me to work with and help young girls achieve their goals. In my brownie group, I’ve worked with girls who were deaf, autistic and had cerebral palsy - as well as many other conditions. This allowed me to learn about how these conditions manifest for the girls in real life which is helpful too and could potentially be something you could put on a medical personal statement? Try finding some kind of youth group maybe that you could volunteer with?
If you want something more specifically clinical though, you could try this Brighton and Sussex Medical school virtual work experience: https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE . Lots of my friends used it when applying for medicine and I know it’s meant to be quite good.

Interesting description of the duration of work experience needed.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/admissions/workexperienceandgapyear/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending