The Student Room Group

appeal a rejection

I got two rejections today (unsucessful) and one is from my top choice cardiff. I'm a US international student so I emailed all my schools after I applied if I can send my transcript as some have GPA requirements and consider A's honors classes equal to a 5 on an AP exam. The cardiff admissions emailed me saying no need as my AP exams are above the entry 4,4,3 and I have 5,4,4 with a 5 in human geography (I applied for the geography & planning course). Also my SAT score is above the minimum and my major is uncompetitive.
Can I ask for an appeal or reasons on why they rejected me? They didn't give any on UCAS.
Original post by takooo
I got two rejections today (unsucessful) and one is from my top choice cardiff. I'm a US international student so I emailed all my schools after I applied if I can send my transcript as some have GPA requirements and consider A's honors classes equal to a 5 on an AP exam. The cardiff admissions emailed me saying no need as my AP exams are above the entry 4,4,3 and I have 5,4,4 with a 5 in human geography (I applied for the geography & planning course). Also my SAT score is above the minimum and my major is uncompetitive.
Can I ask for an appeal or reasons on why they rejected me? They didn't give any on UCAS.

You can ask why your application was unsuccessful, although they are not obligated to respond.

If they respond it may be very generic ("very popular course / high number of applicants this year / not all strong applicants receive an offer / etc.), or (if you're lucky) they might explain their reasoning in a way which allows you to challenge their decision. For example, they may say that you don't meet the entry requirements (when you do), or similar.
Original post by takooo

damn, I also applied to Cardiff (human geo) as a US international student. I have similar grades to you, haven't heard back yet. when did you apply?
Reply 3
Original post by courteous-jury
damn, I also applied to Cardiff (human geo) as a US international student. I have similar grades to you, haven't heard back yet. when did you apply?

this is so niche lol. I applied around jan. 20th. good luck on your college apps !
Ask them.
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
Ask them.

Thank you! I did and they said it was an error and changed it to an unconditional offer!
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
You can ask why your application was unsuccessful, although they are not obligated to respond.

If they respond it may be very generic ("very popular course / high number of applicants this year / not all strong applicants receive an offer / etc.), or (if you're lucky) they might explain their reasoning in a way which allows you to challenge their decision. For example, they may say that you don't meet the entry requirements (when you do), or similar.

I was lucky I guess. I emailed them and they replied it was a mistake.
Reply 7
That’s really good news.

Just shows, it never hurts to ask…errors do get made.
Original post by takooo
I was lucky I guess. I emailed them and they replied it was a mistake.

Wow. That's fantastic news! :biggrin:
Original post by takooo
Thank you! I did and they said it was an error and changed it to an unconditional offer!

That's excellent news !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending