The Student Room Group

Academic Appeals

Hello Everyone, I recently submitted an academic appeal as I was not able to attend my exams due to a couple of mental health conditions that relapsed a few months before the assessment and was aggravated by a highly personal event I went through ( my fiancée called off our engagement ) id submitted a pec form with a letter from an online doctor which showed I was to be put under medication and that I was unfit during the period but it wasn’t accepted by my uni as they wanted proof from my personal doctor. He was on annual leave and it was hard to get an appointment with him because he works with two hospitals but when I finally got the letter from him, the final date of pec had passed and I could only appeal the decision of the board of examiners. I submitted a level one query on the basis of evidence I didn’t have during the assessment period but I have now but it got rejected on the grounds that there was no sufficient reason I couldn’t disclose it before ( I didn’t mention on the letter about the annual leave as I thought I should focus more on my illness and improvement plans) I submitted a level 2 appeal to which I attached the Online doctor letter, the treatment certificate from my psychiatrist and also a personal statement that says he wasn’t available to give me a letter on time and supporting the effect the life event I went through had on me and a letter of support from the university well being team which I obtained after having attended therapy sessions with them. Do you think this is a well documented appeal and is there a chance of success?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ravioli501
Hello Everyone, I recently submitted an academic appeal as I was not able to attend my exams due to a couple of mental health conditions that relapsed a few months before the assessment and was aggravated by a highly personal event I went through ( my fiancée called off our engagement ) id submitted a pec form with a letter from an online doctor which showed I was to be put under medication and that I was unfit during the period but it wasn’t accepted by my uni as they wanted proof from my personal doctor. He was on annual leave and it was hard to get an appointment with him because he works with two hospitals but when I finally got the letter from him, the final date of pec had passed and I could only appeal the decision of the board of examiners. I submitted a level one query on the basis of evidence I didn’t have during the assessment period but I have now but it got rejected on the grounds that there was no sufficient reason I couldn’t disclose it before ( I didn’t mention on the letter about the annual leave as I thought I should focus more on my illness and improvement plans) I submitted a level 2 appeal to which I attached the Online doctor letter, the treatment certificate from my psychiatrist and also a personal statement that says he wasn’t available to give me a letter on time and supporting the effect the life event I went through had on me and a letter of support from the university well being team which I obtained after having attended therapy sessions with them. Do you think this is a well documented appeal and is there a chance of success?

Hi there,
Firstly I want to send a massive hug your way :hugs: sounds like you've been through a lot and I am super sorry that this has been a difficult time for you
Honestly I am not sure about the process for academic appeals, from reading this it seems pretty solid but I have not got much experience with it :colondollar:

I'm going to :bump: this thread for you to get a few more replies.
All the best,
Cheese
Reply 2
Honestly reading this made me tear up a little, thank you for those kind words. It’s been really hard honestly and I don’t know what I’ll do if it gets rejected. I didn’t wanna mention that I was having suicidal tendencies during the period because it’d seem a little too personal. I’m just having panic attacks daily just thinking about it.
Honestly reading this made me tear up a little, thank you for those kind words. It’s been really hard honestly and I don’t know what I’ll do if it gets rejected. I didn’t wanna mention that I was having suicidal tendencies during the period because it’d seem a little too personal. I’m just having panic attacks daily just thinking about it.

:cube: :penguinhug: :grouphugs: :hugs:
Reply 4
So, you didnt take any A level exams at all....?
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
So, you didnt take any A level exams at all....?

It was a post grad degree assessment
Reply 6
I think it's as good as you could hope and I'd be quite surprised if they rejected it. With that said, I have seen what I thought of as sure-thing appeals rejected, so it is hard to give any substantive assurances.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I think it's as good as you could hope and I'd be quite surprised if they rejected it. With that said, I have seen what I thought of as sure-thing appeals rejected, so it is hard to give any substantive assurances.

i) Personal Extenuating Circumstances that you were unable to disclose in advance of the Board of Examiners meeting via a PEC application, or were unable to provide evidence for at that time, or of which you were previously unaware - see Note 3. Therefore, if you make this claim you MUST give strong reasons why you had not advised the Examiners of your circumstances by the published school deadline.
Examples of strong reasons for late disclosure may include:
Traumatic and highly personal family circumstances which were exceptionally serious.
Being in hospital for the weeks between the assessment and the Board of Examiners.
Evidence of being in active discussion with the academic unit about the matter although in such
circumstances it is also reasonable to advise SPS that this is pending.
Examples of weak reasons for late disclosure may include:
Being unaware of the procedure.
Being embarrassed.
Being on holiday

This is the policy my university has for appeal reason. Would my case qualify?
Reply 8
i) Personal Extenuating Circumstances that you were unable to disclose in advance of the Board of Examiners meeting via a PEC application, or were unable to provide evidence for at that time, or of which you were previously unaware - see Note 3. Therefore, if you make this claim you MUST give strong reasons why you had not advised the Examiners of your circumstances by the published school deadline.
Examples of strong reasons for late disclosure may include:
Traumatic and highly personal family circumstances which were exceptionally serious.
Being in hospital for the weeks between the assessment and the Board of Examiners.
Evidence of being in active discussion with the academic unit about the matter although in such
circumstances it is also reasonable to advise SPS that this is pending.
Examples of weak reasons for late disclosure may include:
Being unaware of the procedure.
Being embarrassed.
Being on holiday

This is the policy my university has for appeal reason. Would my case qualify?

It's the same as basically every other institution's policy. I do this every day and it's just impossible to know. Nobody can give a clearer answer, I am afraid. Or they can't honestly give one, in any case.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
It's the same as basically every other institution's policy. I do this every day and it's just impossible to know. Nobody can give a clearer answer, I am afraid. Or they ca';t honestly give one, in any case.

Would you know the success rate of appeals in a particular uni? ( mine is newcastle university)
Reply 10
Would you know the success rate of appeals in a particular uni? ( mine is newcastle university)

No, I don't have access to that sort of data even for my own place.
Reply 11
Original post by gjd800
No, I don't have access to that sort of data even for my own place.

In terms of documentation, was there anything more I could’ve added ?
Reply 12
In terms of documentation, was there anything more I could’ve added ?

Honestly, I don't think so. You have given yourself the best chace. I'd be minded to accept it, but like I said earlier, these committees can be really unpredictable. I hope it goes your way because clearly you deserve for it to.
Reply 13
Original post by gjd800
Honestly, I don't think so. You have given yourself the best chace. I'd be minded to accept it, but like I said earlier, these committees can be really unpredictable. I hope it goes your way because clearly you deserve for it to.

Thank you, this makes me feel confident about it. Does the committee take the appeal letter into serious consideration and if so what do they look for in it?
Reply 14
Thank you, this makes me feel confident about it. Does the committee take the appeal letter into serious consideration and if so what do they look for in it?

The test in these things is almost always 'is there something now that the student has good reason for not providing earlier', and I think you do have that covered. The whole thing will usually hinge on that test given that your medical stuff is pretty cut and dried.
Reply 15
Original post by gjd800
The test in these things is almost always 'is there something now that the student has good reason for not providing earlier', and I think you do have that covered. The whole thing will usually hinge on that test given that your medical stuff is pretty cut and dried.

I did not mention about the fiancee issue in my query because I didn’t want it to go too personal and I thought a medical certificate would suffice but they claimed I should’ve submitted it on time and found no relevant reason as to why it was late. I feel that they usually reject level 1 queries for some reason or other.
Reply 16
Original post by gjd800

I forgot to mention that I was allowed a previous deferral of the exams based on a mental health issue. I hope this won’t affect the appeal.
Reply 17
I forgot to mention that I was allowed a previous deferral of the exams based on a mental health issue. I hope this won’t affect the appeal.

It shouldn't have any negative effect.
Reply 18
What is the possible scenario in looking at if my appeal was accepted? Would I get another chance to retake the assessment?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gjd800
It shouldn't have any negative effect.

They accepted the appeal! Thank you for all your help and advice, I appreciate it immensely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending