The Student Room Group

Deciding between offers Manchester and Edinburgh

I cant decide between Edinburgh for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (MEng) and Manchester for Mechatronic Engineering (MEng). Both courses have placements and are 5 years, same grade requirements. Edinburgh offers abroad opportunities which is cool but Manchester has better modern facilities. Both are arguably just as reputable and I like both cities. There just isn't enough downsides to one for me to make an easy decision!
Original post by Taimur55835
I cant decide between Edinburgh for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (MEng) and Manchester for Mechatronic Engineering (MEng). Both courses have placements and are 5 years, same grade requirements. Edinburgh offers abroad opportunities which is cool but Manchester has better modern facilities. Both are arguably just as reputable and I like both cities. There just isn't enough downsides to one for me to make an easy decision!

I just firmed the Edinburgh course last week. I'm probably slightly biased bc I'm Scottish but I would probably prefer it to Manchester. In first year you will have better opportunities to pick outside modules so that it's not just engineering that you're studying. Both cities are very nice and have a pretty good nightlife, but Edinburgh is slightly smaller and probably more expensive. Because it's smaller, it's easier to get around as pretty much everywhere is walkable and it has a great bus service. I'm not sure where you're from, but if you're Scottish then it's an added bonus that it is free. That said, both are great unis, both in the Russell Group, and both cities are great places to be. In my humble opinion, Edinburgh just tops Manchester, but whatever choice you make you'll probably really enjoy your time at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Taimur55835

edinburgh is higher internationally in QS rankings if im not mistaken and has far more better prestige
Reply 3
ayooo
Reply 4
Original post by r/milk
edinburgh is higher internationally in QS rankings if im not mistaken and has far more better prestige

Tbh it all depends on degree
Original post by r/milk
Higher ranking in general terms, lower ranking in mechanical, electrical and general engineering terms compared to Manchester. Manchester is pretty focused on its engineering programmes hence the 1bil. investment from the uni on the School of Engineering
I would go to Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest