The Student Room Group

Resitting 2 A-levels??

Hi!
Weird things are happening!
I got CDD in English, Maths and Physics respectively this summer despite an A*AB prediction and ABB mocks (talk about a drop XD)
Anyway, I started an apprenticeship and just quit because I don't like it and want to go to uni.
I'm going to resit Maths and Physics whilst working 24-30 hours per week between now and May so I can enter uni maybe through clearing for September 2024 entry (nightmare). It's probably doable but it's gonna do my head in before long.
Will unis accept me retaking 2 A-levels this year and having another A-level from last year?
I am interested in unis like Kent, Sussex, SOAS, City, etc.
I will probably study a social science like Econ (last year I applied to do Maths but I think it'll get too dry and confusing for me at uni) but for SOAS I am interested in double majoring in Econ and Chinese or East Asian Studies.
What are my chances here?
Will they accept my unorthodox resit circumstances?
I am aiming as high as I can in both A-levels but will be difficult considering the difficulty of the subjects and how little time I have, but I have a plan to get through it whilst maintaining the knowledge I take in.

Thanks!!
First of all sorry for the unfortunate circumstances and I can understand your worries.

I know resitting a levels is not ideal and many top Russel group unis will instantly disregard your application since you would be highly advantaged compared to other students. you're also thinking of applying for Econ which is competitive asw. However, your unis are not as competitive so they have a much higher chance of considering you. I would go and contact each uni and after explaining your predicament, ask weather or not they will consider you and if so, great go ahead if not try other unis. I'm sure lots of unis will accept resits but ofc you will have to look at lower ranked unis which is not ideal.

I know this might not be a perfect answer but it's really best to ask the unis themselves as they know best. Hopefully you get the response your hoping for and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by shadowblades
First of all sorry for the unfortunate circumstances and I can understand your worries.

I know resitting a levels is not ideal and many top Russel group unis will instantly disregard your application since you would be highly advantaged compared to other students. you're also thinking of applying for Econ which is competitive asw. However, your unis are not as competitive so they have a much higher chance of considering you. I would go and contact each uni and after explaining your predicament, ask weather or not they will consider you and if so, great go ahead if not try other unis. I'm sure lots of unis will accept resits but ofc you will have to look at lower ranked unis which is not ideal.

I know this might not be a perfect answer but it's really best to ask the unis themselves as they know best. Hopefully you get the response your hoping for and good luck!

Hi!

Thanks, I appreciate your response!
It's not certain that I will do Econ but I am interested in it and it's likely.
Since I'm looking at some mid-tier unis I am of course hoping my chances will be higher.
SOAS is definitely my top choice since I loved the vibe when I visited and it's closer to home since I live in London, but I've been doing some snooping and apparently courses like Econ and Chinese there are pretty competitive which is worrying lol
Original post by Al_the_Pal
Original post by shadowblades

Hi!

Thanks, I appreciate your response!
It's not certain that I will do Econ but I am interested in it and it's likely.
Since I'm looking at some mid-tier unis I am of course hoping my chances will be higher.
SOAS is definitely my top choice since I loved the vibe when I visited and it's closer to home since I live in London, but I've been doing some snooping and apparently courses like Econ and Chinese there are pretty competitive which is worrying lol

Yeah as long as you stick to the mid tier you should be fine and yeah it's just competitive in general but good luck nonetheless!
Reply 4
Hi!
Weird things are happening!
I got CDD in English, Maths and Physics respectively this summer despite an A*AB prediction and ABB mocks (talk about a drop XD)
Anyway, I started an apprenticeship and just quit because I don't like it and want to go to uni.
I'm going to resit Maths and Physics whilst working 24-30 hours per week between now and May so I can enter uni maybe through clearing for September 2024 entry (nightmare). It's probably doable but it's gonna do my head in before long.
Will unis accept me retaking 2 A-levels this year and having another A-level from last year?
I am interested in unis like Kent, Sussex, SOAS, City, etc.
I will probably study a social science like Econ (last year I applied to do Maths but I think it'll get too dry and confusing for me at uni) but for SOAS I am interested in double majoring in Econ and Chinese or East Asian Studies.
What are my chances here?
Will they accept my unorthodox resit circumstances?
I am aiming as high as I can in both A-levels but will be difficult considering the difficulty of the subjects and how little time I have, but I have a plan to get through it whilst maintaining the knowledge I take in.

Thanks!!

Hi,

I've done the same thing as you, resitting 2 A levels, and I received offers from KCL, SOAS, bayes/city.

It's perfectly fine as long as your predicted grades are calm
Reply 5
Original post by yunaht1
Hi,

I've done the same thing as you, resitting 2 A levels, and I received offers from KCL, SOAS, bayes/city.

It's perfectly fine as long as your predicted grades are calm

Technically I won't have predicted grades as I'm just self-studying and will be re-sitting as a private candidate and don't really have enough time to get predictions and apply traditionally through UCAS.
I will probably have to see if I can get a place through clearing if at all possible.
Hi,

My sister re-sat her A levels and got accepted into Oxford this year, so uni's will definitely still consider you. However, she re-sat all of her A levels alongside 2 part-time jobs, so it really depends on how you want to focus your time.
Reply 7
Technically I won't have predicted grades as I'm just self-studying and will be re-sitting as a private candidate and don't really have enough time to get predictions and apply traditionally through UCAS.
I will probably have to see if I can get a place through clearing if at all possible.

Hi,

I resat my 2 while working part time aswell, asked my old sixthform for predicted grades and a reference and they happily obliged.
If I recall the UCAS deadline is in January, you have time to go through UCAS and get your predicted grades through your old sixthform/college if they are willing to help you.

I personally wouldn't leave it up to chance at clearing as there may be a probability that the course you want to do wont be on there, and then thats just another year wasted you get me.

Good luck on what you decide to do

Quick Reply

Latest