The Student Room Group

Advice/ DIY kits for Electronics hobby

Hi!
I'm trying to decided between Computer Science and Electronics Engineering for University. I have a little experience with Electronics (some soldering, I've read a little about electronics, I enjoy making things out LEGO) and I feel it may be the better choice for me as a course. I'm doing Computer Science at Sixth-form.

Electronics students (or people who are doing Engineering and have a hobby in Electronics)-
how did you start your hobby in Electronics? Can you provide any links to electronics kits or electronic things that you have built?

Thanks!
Original post by TravellingSound6
Hi!
I'm trying to decided between Computer Science and Electronics Engineering for University. I have a little experience with Electronics (some soldering, I've read a little about electronics, I enjoy making things out LEGO) and I feel it may be the better choice for me as a course. I'm doing Computer Science at Sixth-form.

Electronics students (or people who are doing Engineering and have a hobby in Electronics)-
how did you start your hobby in Electronics? Can you provide any links to electronics kits or electronic things that you have built?

Thanks!

Hi @TravellingSound6

Thats awesome that you want to learn about electronics! I'm a current 4th year Mechatronic Engineering student who started dabbling in electronics and coding as a hobby during sixth-form.

I mostly worked with arduino based kits as it was a good starting point to understand how to use microcontroller boards. I originally brought a starter kit before moving onto a arduino car (not the exact one I used but similar). The Arduino website and places like amazon have a variety of kits to work on depending what your interests in electronics is, mine was more on the robotics side. This practice with arduinos actually really helped me in 2nd year as we had to work with Nucleo boards (similar style board) and tasked to create a wheeled robot that could follow a line and complete a series of tasks. Additionally, I highly recommend the websites such as Instructables for project inspiration. I also built a weather forecasting system using sensors, IOT and some coding as one of the projects for my Arkwright Scholarship (I can't really remember as it was many years ago!).

If you have any questions about studying engineering at university or want more information about anything I've mentioned, let me know! : )
Izzy (LU Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest