The Student Room Group

Engineering supercurriculars

I’m in year 11 and am considering an engineering degree (maybe aiming for russell group / oxbridge). Do you know of any supercurriculars I could try? (I’m also female and Welsh in case you know of any girl only or Welsh only ones)
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi, i suggest you sign up to the mailing lists for engineering at different schools: they often send opportunities that people can be part of. I also think you should look out for engineering summer schools. Most times costs of travel and accommodation are covered if you meet certain criteria.

reading books and watching documentaries are also good supercurriculars and then when you're in year 12 you can do more research about programs that unis offer which can also reduce your offer requirements when you're ready to apply
Depending on your area you may find a lot of super curriculars to do on your own, stuff like different projects in engineering, for example for electronics you can try projects with arduino and such. For engineering you don’t necessarily need books, videos in depth about your interest area can also help.
Original post by harrietstyles
Hi, i suggest you sign up to the mailing lists for engineering at different schools: they often send opportunities that people can be part of. I also think you should look out for engineering summer schools. Most times costs of travel and accommodation are covered if you meet certain criteria.

reading books and watching documentaries are also good supercurriculars and then when you're in year 12 you can do more research about programs that unis offer which can also reduce your offer requirements when you're ready to apply
Hiya, I am trying to do engineering but I haven’t come across any good affordable summer schools that aren’t specifically for the underprivileged in year 11. Do you have any suggestions of good ones available?
Original post by doriangray44
I’m in year 11 and am considering an engineering degree (maybe aiming for russell group / oxbridge). Do you know of any supercurriculars I could try? (I’m also female and Welsh in case you know of any girl only or Welsh only ones)
Hi @doriangray44,

Thats great that you want to get involved in engineering in sixth form!
During my sixth form days, I taught myself how to code, build simple electronics and solder using Arduino kits. I was interested in robotics and Arduino kits were a great starting point to understand the fundamentals. I then used the parts from the kits and followed Youtube tutorials to build even more projects. If you are looking for a some form of engineering summer course, I highly recommend Smallpeice Trust's , they are typically one week course where you get to do hands on engineering, meet industry experts and meet other like minded students. I did three Smallpeice Trust courses during sixth form, they allowed me to try out different types of engineering and looked great on my personal statement when apply to universities as I could demonstrate my interest in engineering.

As a female engineer myself, I highly recommend joining Women's Engineering Society as a student member, its a great way to network with other female engineers. (Not sure if student membership covers sixth form).

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know : )
Izzy (LU Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest