The Student Room Group

Should i drop Chemistry in yr13??

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I got predicted A*s for all three other subjects and B in chemistry, i currently resitted chemistry but im not really sure i did well, think the best i’ll get is probably A predicted. I’m planning on studying maths or maths with mathematical physics in uni so chemistry is definitely not essential. But I’m planning on applying to oxford Maths and apparently 4 alevels are more beneficial if you do further maths since some uni don’t consider it as a real subject. But i’m really struggling with chemistry and i don’t really like it also apparently year13 chemistry will be even harder and i don’t really want to spare energy to study it(i get much better grades in maths and physics with less effort somehow) my initial plan was, drop chemistry if i didn’t get predicted A* after resit, and now im not really sure if i should really keep it regardless of what i got in resit
Reply 1
At the end of the day…do u like it ????
If u don’t then there is no point in doing it….BUT u said apparently Oxford likes 4 subject so….if u rly wanna got there then go ahead and do it.
Original post by ohauh
I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I got predicted A*s for all three other subjects and B in chemistry, i currently resitted chemistry but im not really sure i did well, think the best i’ll get is probably A predicted. I’m planning on studying maths or maths with mathematical physics in uni so chemistry is definitely not essential. But I’m planning on applying to oxford Maths and apparently 4 alevels are more beneficial if you do further maths since some uni don’t consider it as a real subject. But i’m really struggling with chemistry and i don’t really like it also apparently year13 chemistry will be even harder and i don’t really want to spare energy to study it(i get much better grades in maths and physics with less effort somehow) my initial plan was, drop chemistry if i didn’t get predicted A* after resit, and now im not really sure if i should really keep it regardless of what i got in resit

When applying for a maths degree, FM appears to always be considered a real subject as it is often listed as a requirement (along with maths and one other subject) or else really strongly recommended. Granted, for some courses (i.e medicine, apparently) at some unis FM may not be considered a real subject, but I do not believe this is the case when applying for a maths degree.

In your case, dropping chemistry is perhaps the best option as you don’t really like it and you will presumably want more time to spend on your other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest