The Student Room Group

Gap Year Activities

Hi,
I’m in year 13 and am towards the end of college thinking of going to Uni of Portsmouth and I’m trying to work out some things to do in my gap year. Have you guys got any ideas or have done somethings you can give me ideas?

I’d like to go travelling. Especially on my own as I’ve never been to a city on my own or really done trains and such. As well as build some money but I’d like some fun things. Any ideas? :biggrin:
Original post by Boxofducks
Hi,
I’m in year 13 and am towards the end of college thinking of going to Uni of Portsmouth and I’m trying to work out some things to do in my gap year. Have you guys got any ideas or have done somethings you can give me ideas?

I’d like to go travelling. Especially on my own as I’ve never been to a city on my own or really done trains and such. As well as build some money but I’d like some fun things. Any ideas? :biggrin:

Unless you can rely on the Bank of Mum and Dad, you'll probably need to work a bit, as travel is expensive! I personally worked during my gap year up until the June before I started university and then spent a good chunk of the summer travelling around the UK with the money I made (I also made a jump to Paris for a few days in spring! And would have been able to travel more had I not been seeing a girl at the time who was a bit of a money drain :redface:).

The most important thing is to not get carried away just yet and remind yourself that you have to ace your A levels! And then you try to find a job to finance your travels. If you can, ideally try to get a job somewhat related to what you want to study at uni but it's not terribly important and it's absolutely fine if you don't - any job will do and it will make you grow up much more than you'd expect.

In terms of travelling, it's always cheaper to travel within the country you're already in, and the UK has got many beautiful places worth seeing. I could go on and on and on about this so I'll just let you do your own research on what you can visit and do in the UK. I'd recommend getting a 16-25 railcard to travel around the UK by train - it knocks off 1/3 off the prices of trains. Don't know the price these days, but last year it was £30 for one year, £70 for three years. I'd recommend the three years card - it will pay for itself in just a few days of travelling and then you can keep on using it for, well, three years! And if you want to travel on a budget, in the UK or abroad, go to hostels. They're dirt cheap. Not the nicest of places but they do the job. But if you can, I'd definitely recommend going down to mainland Europe and see a few places.

And also, your gap year is the time to do anything you've always wanted to do. I for example picked up the guitar during my gap year :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Unless you can rely on the Bank of Mum and Dad, you'll probably need to work a bit, as travel is expensive! I personally worked during my gap year up until the June before I started university and then spent a good chunk of the summer travelling around the UK with the money I made (I also made a jump to Paris for a few days in spring! And would have been able to travel more had I not been seeing a girl at the time who was a bit of a money drain :redface:).

The most important thing is to not get carried away just yet and remind yourself that you have to ace your A levels! And then you try to find a job to finance your travels. If you can, ideally try to get a job somewhat related to what you want to study at uni but it's not terribly important and it's absolutely fine if you don't - any job will do and it will make you grow up much more than you'd expect.

In terms of travelling, it's always cheaper to travel within the country you're already in, and the UK has got many beautiful places worth seeing. I could go on and on and on about this so I'll just let you do your own research on what you can visit and do in the UK. I'd recommend getting a 16-25 railcard to travel around the UK by train - it knocks off 1/3 off the prices of trains. Don't know the price these days, but last year it was £30 for one year, £70 for three years. I'd recommend the three years card - it will pay for itself in just a few days of travelling and then you can keep on using it for, well, three years! And if you want to travel on a budget, in the UK or abroad, go to hostels. They're dirt cheap. Not the nicest of places but they do the job. But if you can, I'd definitely recommend going down to mainland Europe and see a few places.

And also, your gap year is the time to do anything you've always wanted to do. I for example picked up the guitar during my gap year :smile:
I’ve been working for the past year, just a small amount of passive income. But yeah thinking of working a bunch throughout, but that’s given me a good starting basis on when I might need to work until.

As I say, I wanna travel. Probably to mainland Europe but that’s as far as I’ve gotten atm. I don’t necessarily want to go to touristy bits which is not sure but may lend itself to being a bit cheaper than the touristy bits.

Thanks for the tip on the rail card + hostels, I’ll need to look into that!
Original post by Boxofducks
Hi,
Hi! In my gap year I did tutoring, which was really great because I liked having a purpose and teaching people new things. A part time job is a really good way to still travel but also make money to travel with! Maybe if you're planning to study something you're passionate about at the Uni of Portsmouth, it'd be worth doing something in that subject in your gap year. For example, if you're studying art/writing you could build a portfolio, or if you're doing a language you could get a headstart on studying! I hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest