The Student Room Group

Take a gap year for engineering at Cambridge

Hi, would taking a gap year to participate in the YINI or similar year in industry help my chances of getting in to Queens College Cambridge for engineering
Doubtful. It might be valuable for you yourself of course (although as below I think actually in the engineering sector, you're much less likely to find anything substantive), but ultimately the overriding consideration for Cambridge are going to be your academics including as demonstrated in interview.

Also "year in industry" usually refers to a placement year during a degree. It's really unlikely you would do much in the engineering sector as a school leaver on a gap year beyond shadowing or admin type activities. They aren't going to let an unqualified 18 year old touch any of the engineering design or modelling aspects whatsoever I would anticipate.

If you want to take a gap year for your own sake though by all means do it - don't do it because you think you'll get "bonus points" when applying to universities somehow, as in almost no situation is that going to be likely.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Doubtful. It might be valuable for you yourself of course (although as below I think actually in the engineering sector, you're much less likely to find anything substantive), but ultimately the overriding consideration for Cambridge are going to be your academics including as demonstrated in interview.

Also "year in industry" usually refers to a placement year during a degree. It's really unlikely you would do much in the engineering sector as a school leaver on a gap year beyond shadowing or admin type activities. They aren't going to let an unqualified 18 year old touch any of the engineering design or modelling aspects whatsoever I would anticipate.

If you want to take a gap year for your own sake though by all means do it - don't do it because you think you'll get "bonus points" when applying to universities somehow, as in almost no situation is that going to be likely.

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks!

I'd go to a university with a placement year - Cambridge's course is very theoretical and does not preapre you work in industry.
Do it for yourself, not to get into Cambridge. If you do it for yourself it might help you, because it will fit to you and therefore help you. If you do it not for you, you won't be able to get as much out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending