The Student Room Group

should i apply for ucas this year if i’m taking a gap year?

i’m about to in year 13 in september. my AS level grades suck and i’m not even sure which career i should pursue. therefore i thought that taking a gap year would be the best option. but most of my classmates will be applying this year but i’d prefer to apply whilst i’m in my gap year as i’ll have more experience and skills gained by then. what should i do? apply this year along my classmates and then apply again next year?
Reply 1
Original post by reversehermit
i’m about to in year 13 in september. my AS level grades suck and i’m not even sure which career i should pursue. therefore i thought that taking a gap year would be the best option. but most of my classmates will be applying this year but i’d prefer to apply whilst i’m in my gap year as i’ll have more experience and skills gained by then. what should i do? apply this year along my classmates and then apply again next year?

Honestly, you still have a while to figure things out and you could apply for something this year and then defer it once you get an offer? Meaning you can get your offer in year 13 and then start uni after doing your gap year (if the uni are okay with this, sometimes it depends on course and uni). There's no harm in applying twice (except the ucas fee :colonhash:) . Both choices are good really.
Original post by Bean_cat
Honestly, you still have a while to figure things out and you could apply for something this year and then defer it once you get an offer? Meaning you can get your offer in year 13 and then start uni after doing your gap year (if the uni are okay with this, sometimes it depends on course and uni). There's no harm in applying twice (except the ucas fee :colonhash:) . Both choices are good really.

meh i don’t know. i also haven’t really done that many activities other than wider reading and applying to a few programmes so i wouldn’t have much to include in my PS. i also need more time and experience to figure out which career to pursue (i was going to go for accounting and finance but i realised that i wasn’t passionate about it at all). if i choose to not apply this year should i let my teachers know? will they allow to not apply or is it mandatory? tbh i’d prefer to apply next year with my a level grades after gaining more experience

Quick Reply

Latest