The Student Room Group

Revision for gcsesss

If you got all 8’s and 9’s (or all 9s too) in ur mocks/the real thing if you’ve done already WHATS THE SECRET, what was ur routine, motivations, plans, study methods??? Help a girl out.
And I know you’re probably gonna say active recall/spaced repetition but HOW. In my mocks I learnt all my flashcards but I got the same scores as the previous year
Original post by hellode
If you got all 8’s and 9’s (or all 9s too) in ur mocks/the real thing if you’ve done already WHATS THE SECRET, what was ur routine, motivations, plans, study methods??? Help a girl out.
And I know you’re probably gonna say active recall/spaced repetition but HOW. In my mocks I learnt all my flashcards but I got the same scores as the previous year

Hey I didn't but my sis did get all 9s in the real thing so imma just say what she did. Revised thoroughly two weeks before each exam (except bio and Eng lang).
Routine/study methods:

printed spec sheets = use as checklist

Read all the notes she made once = try and understand not memorize + make the notes concise and targeted towards each spec point

Did 1/2 the PPQs she could find online

Added markscheme answers to her notes

Read her notes again.

Repeat

Her school hours were quite restricted so she stayed home the entirety of study leave + self taught a lot of the content using CGP guides. She'd wake up making sure she had at least 8 hours of sleep, ate a full brekkie, started reading her notes. I'd take her to our local public library to study for a change in scenery (we couldn't really study at home cause of construction work = noise pollution). Eat lunch (reward yourself with a good meal after studying). Study some more (she finds doing PPQs a good motivation + ticking the answers at the end is satisfying + you get to learn exam technique). Take a nice walk, shower, and do a lil more reading in bed (she likes to read the CGP guides in between = chill reading though and only like 2 chapters max a day). I tried to get her on flashcards but they never really worked for me and it didn't for her either. Only motivation was results day and that many of her teachers suggested that she should take the exams another year (she refused) and she wanted to prove them wrong.

I think what really helped were the analogies she made to better understand concepts. Like for bio especially a lot of it was trying to match real life scenarios to mechanisms.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest