The Student Room Group

Cs uni firm and insurance help needed!

I have offers from kent, Aberystwyth and university of east anglia. Which do i firm and insure?

Aberystwyth ranks higher than kent in overall and CS. However east anglia is higher overall ranking compared to the other two universities. But is ranked lower for CS compared to Aberystwyth.

What do i choose? Overall ranking or course specific? Can my employability be affected or the year in industry?
Original post by Unknownaspriv
I have offers from kent, Aberystwyth and university of east anglia. Which do i firm and insure?

Aberystwyth ranks higher than kent in overall and CS. However east anglia is higher overall ranking compared to the other two universities. But is ranked lower for CS compared to Aberystwyth.

What do i choose? Overall ranking or course specific? Can my employability be affected or the year in industry?

Hiya!
You're definitely facing a tough choice here. Unless it is highly important to you, rankings are not the main aspect of the university course - the course and the university are more important!
If you have the chance, attend open days/ offer holder events for these universities (usually universities run events both online and in-person). Look at the course structure, and which modules appeal to you more. What are the assessments like? Does the university offer good careers support, do they provide extra opportunities to students? What is the format of the classes and coursework? How practical/theoretical is the course? Does the university have a good location/ accommodation/ extra-curricular opportunities you are interested in?

What is the most important thing to you in a CS course? If it is the ranking, then you can refer to the league tables. If it is something else, or something niche, I would recommend reaching out to student ambassadors on the university website or attending an open day to get a good feel for the uni (after all you will be spending 3 years or more there).

I suppose course rankings are more relevant to you as a CS student, however it is important to think why is one course ranked higher than the other. Is it because it's better structured, has higher quality of teaching or simply different content?

Good luck with your decision!

Hope this helps,
Polina,
Lancaster University CS Student Ambassador.
Original post by Unknownaspriv

Hi there

Congratulations on receiving your offers. Choosing your firm and insurance choice can be quite difficult, and I would echo the advice above. :smile:

Whilst ranking can be important, there are other things to consider. For me the course structure is really important. I would recommend doing some research and comparison into the modules that you can take through the course. Choosing modules that interest you can be really important, and choosing ones that give you an advantage can significantly boost your grades. (for example, whether the course is based on exams or coursework can really impact your final grades).

Whilst studying at Kent, I felt really supported and empowered. Throughout our course, we are assigned academic tutors, mentors, and it is really easy to reach out to seminar leaders and lecturers if we have any queries. There are also student learning support services such as the skills hubs that are there to help you with academic skills and writing, which are really helpful.

Another factor which is important to me is the employability rates, and any work opportunities that the University can provide. Whilst studying is a large part of University, it is a good time to boost your CVs and applications by doing any extra curricular activities such as volunteering, part-time jobs. Some Universities may also provide insight days for different careers. A year in industry is a really good option and it can be really useful in gaining good practical skills for the work environment, it would also boost your applications and CV. :smile:

At Kent, there is a really useful employability points scheme where we are able to log our extra curricular activities for employability points. At the end of each year, this is tallied and you can use these to apply for invaluable work experiences. You can find out more about this here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability-points. There are also other services such as the employability team who give really good career advice. (https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers)

I hope this helps. If you have any particular questions about studying at Kent, do feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer them. :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending