The Student Room Group

Think i’ve chosen wrong course (2nd Year)

Right, so, i’ve been trying to push these feelings away but i don’t think i can anymore.

I started a Politics & Spanish degree at a Russell Group uni and have no issues with the degree aside from the obvious stress and whatnot and i’ve been achieving good grades, the issue is that from when i was younger i’ve had a massive interest in Computers/Tech and only now realising that i would much prefer working in IT over government/finance jobs.

I have NO idea where to go from here, leaving the course seems silly since i’ve almost finished 2 years but since it’s a 4 year degree, it also seems silly to continue if it’s not what i want to do.

I know the OU have courses i would definitely want to do and could start them while working entry level IT jobs (Home is near an IT hub)

Any suggestions or anything would be appreciated
Reply 1
Also would SFE finance this as my course was 4 years + 1 gift year = 5 - the 2 i’ve used up = 3 left
Reply 2
Original post by maxo2002
Also would SFE finance this as my course was 4 years + 1 gift year = 5 - the 2 i’ve used up = 3 left

Bureaucrats never make things that simple unfortunately. IIRC, the course length funding isn't transferrable across different levels of undergraduate study, each year's worth of funding is reserved for a particular level apart from the gift year. If you've already completed 1st and 2nd year, you'd have to finance that yourself before you're allowed to expend your remaining years.

That's for your current course. The SFE calculation is based of the course you will be studying at that time.

If you changed course now to a 3 year degree your entitlement would be calculated as 3 +1 - 2 = 2 years of funding remaining, and thus you would need to self-fund tuition fees for the first year of that new course. This is for full time courses only though.

For part-time study (and all OU courses are considered part-time for fee purposes) it's a separate "pot" and your prior full time study wouldn't be taken into account - however the equivalent or lower qualification rules may affect eligibility if you leave with a qualification and the new one you would be studying at the OU would be an equivalent or lower qualification than that (although if you register for a full degree I can't see that would be an issue).

I'd note though that you can be eligible for second degree funding in STEM fields currently if studying part-time. Therefore if you are aiming to do an IT course through the OU anyway, at present the above mentioned ELQ rules wouldn't apply and you could still get funding for the full degree even if you actually finished your current course.

It's also worth noting that most graduates don't do anything related to their degree subject anyway. So doing a degree in Spanish and politics doesn't pigeonhole you in any way now regardless. You don't need to work in government with that degree if that's not what you wanted to do...
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
That's for your current course. The SFE calculation is based of the course you will be studying at that time.

If you changed course now to a 3 year degree your entitlement would be calculated as 3 +1 - 2 = 2 years of funding remaining, and thus you would need to self-fund tuition fees for the first year of that new course. This is for full time courses only though.

For part-time study (and all OU courses are considered part-time for fee purposes) it's a separate "pot" and your prior full time study wouldn't be taken into account - however the equivalent or lower qualification rules may affect eligibility if you leave with a qualification and the new one you would be studying at the OU would be an equivalent or lower qualification than that (although if you register for a full degree I can't see that would be an issue).

I'd note though that you can be eligible for second degree funding in STEM fields currently if studying part-time. Therefore if you are aiming to do an IT course through the OU anyway, at present the above mentioned ELQ rules wouldn't apply and you could still get funding for the full degree even if you actually finished your current course.

It's also worth noting that most graduates don't do anything related to their degree subject anyway. So doing a degree in Spanish and politics doesn't pigeonhole you in any way now regardless. You don't need to work in government with that degree if that's not what you wanted to do...

Thank you for all the information.

I know, but I’ve done internships both within local councils, spoken to former diplomats and also had a couple internships in finance and i don’t think they would honestly suit me long term, hence the wanted change to something i’m more interested in.
Right, so, i’ve been trying to push these feelings away but i don’t think i can anymore.

I started a Politics & Spanish degree at a Russell Group uni and have no issues with the degree aside from the obvious stress and whatnot and i’ve been achieving good grades, the issue is that from when i was younger i’ve had a massive interest in Computers/Tech and only now realising that i would much prefer working in IT over government/finance jobs.

I have NO idea where to go from here, leaving the course seems silly since i’ve almost finished 2 years but since it’s a 4 year degree, it also seems silly to continue if it’s not what i want to do.

I know the OU have courses i would definitely want to do and could start them while working entry level IT jobs (Home is near an IT hub)

Any suggestions or anything would be appre

The person who replied that most people dont do work related to their degree is right - you could still get a job in IT after finishing your current degree, it may just take a little longer while you acquire some useful tech skills. A good degree from a Russell Group university is worth it, so I wouldn't drop it for open university. It is only worth considering dropping if you could get into an equally good uni for a computers/tech related degree and the responses on financing suggest not. Also there is nothing save maybe lack of time to stop you learning programming using platforms like coursera and even taking on gig work while continuing with your Spanish and politics degree. You can always do a conversion MSc in a technology-related field after your degree or consider ways to do a second degree. Just my two cents, having worked in technology for a while.
Thank you for all the information.

I know, but I’ve done internships both within local councils, spoken to former diplomats and also had a couple internships in finance and i don’t think they would honestly suit me long term, hence the wanted change to something i’m more interested in.

My point is you don't have to work in those areas with that degree. There are plenty of other jobs you could work in is my point! Lots of business related jobs that aren't specifically finance, other things like the media, the civil service (i.e. non-diplomatic positions, there are lots of options!), law training contracts, etc.

If it is very specifically working in IT that is your preference then obviously a degree is an option to go that way, but there are also apprenticeship routes into that area and as noted you can even do the IT degree after finishing your current one. So I'd suggest taking the time to think about it over the next few weeks at least :smile:

You can do both your current degree and eventually have a career in IT in this case! Obviously if you don't actually like your current degree (as in the actual content of the degree, not what you may or may not do at the end of it) the that's a very different situation.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7

Any suggestions or anything would be appreciated

Hi, I hope this is helpful. You can always do an IT course - there are some excellent 3-month programming courses (London) and this interest can be picked up for sure while at Uni - why not learn how to build a website for something you’re interested in eg related to your course? No course is ever ideal - keep going I say. You will be pleased you did. You’ll have a good degree and you can continue in IT after - there are always jobs in IT - I picked it up on Udacity courses and now do SEO for a few clients while studying! I hope this helps. I always say; keep going if you’re almost there! It’s what I say when running too (I run a bit 10ks ans half marathons!) it’s always more fulfilling to finish Than to store Half way!
Reply 8
Hi, I know it's been a bit but I just want to say thank you. I finished second year with a 2:1 (for grades that did get released) and started to learn C# and came top 10% in my first Game Jam!

Although I didn't reply to this at the time, it TRULY helped me.

Original post by Uma88
Hi, I hope this is helpful. You can always do an IT course - there are some excellent 3-month programming courses (London) and this interest can be picked up for sure while at Uni - why not learn how to build a website for something you’re interested in eg related to your course? No course is ever ideal - keep going I say. You will be pleased you did. You’ll have a good degree and you can continue in IT after - there are always jobs in IT - I picked it up on Udacity courses and now do SEO for a few clients while studying! I hope this helps. I always say; keep going if you’re almost there! It’s what I say when running too (I run a bit 10ks ans half marathons!) it’s always more fulfilling to finish Than to store Half way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending