The Student Room Group

Life advice wanted

So, as the title suggests, Im a little lost.
So Im from a relatively middle-class background, went to a normal school, did well in my GCSEs in 2019 (before covid, 7A*s, 3As, a B and some others)
My general recalcitrance towards homework, as well as differences in opinion with some of the teachers, mean that my non-examined A-levels were a bit of a flop, getting only AAC.
Anyway, I went straight away to Swansea uni for an MEng course in mechanical engineering. Because of the somewhat extortionate response to covid, all the lectures were 100% online, and I was totally failing to learn CAD, but found all other parts of the course quite easy. Anyway, I ended up having a disagreement with the head of the course, and I had some really bad luck with the flatmates, and since everything was online, I didnt meet any of my coursemates, so I dropped out before the xmas break.
For the rest of the year, I worked a few jobs saved some money, bought some fast/fun/interesting cars, and then went to Aberystwyth uni to do physics (no CAD, but its REALLY boring). Ive made some friends here, so its better than last time, but I still feel like dropping out.
The problem is, whats the alternative?
Im only at uni because I cant think of anything else to do, and I feel like there couldnt be a worse reason to.
There isnt a single job/career/occupation that Im particularly drawn to.
So internet, what are my options? Live in a van? (Effectively being homeless, but a little warmer) Continue with my degree, on the quest to a future 9-5 of abject normallity? Something else?
Your advice is much appreciated!
Reply 1
So straight away you are drawn to fast, fun, interesting cars? That is your first tag. Speed and motion. I know someone who went from MEng into F1 design and engine management albeit they were very good at it (yes I do know you have bowed out from this at Swansea)

So here we go - try not to be negative about what you have achieved already. A lot of luck in life is luck you create and having the bare faced cheek to sell yourself as a very good choice (you seem to be able to do that) Your past results are a stepping stone to what you can achieve. Once you get the higher educational qualification the 'lower' ranked qualifications become less important.

So stay grounded in the here and now. If you managed to work a 'few' jobs and on the back of that got your cars you clearly have some talent.

No one can tell you to work a 9X5 and you don't have to. It depends how wide you want to cast your net.

With a physics degree there are many options open to you. Your brain is wired differently than most of us to be able to do that so you clearly have the IQ. I'm not sure if physics was the last chance saloon? It may be boring but you also need to give your course work 200% and get the best out of any course (even if it is boring the pants off you) Go back to your course admin, course tutors, career advice section and have some conversations about what you can do. You need to hear yourself think and then agree with your head what you want to do. If you are sure in your head you can move the earth, live in a bin bag and still be happy.

Manufacturing, aerospace, defence, energy, communications?

Consider officer entry for the RAF, army or navy if you are interested in fast moving objects and don't want 9 to 5 - age, fitness and masochism permitting.

I hope you manage to find your passion. With qualifications it's what you build on the back of it that really matters.
Original post by PotentiallyLost
So, as the title suggests, Im a little lost.
So Im from a relatively middle-class background, went to a normal school, did well in my GCSEs in 2019 (before covid, 7A*s, 3As, a B and some others)
My general recalcitrance towards homework, as well as differences in opinion with some of the teachers, mean that my non-examined A-levels were a bit of a flop, getting only AAC.
Anyway, I went straight away to Swansea uni for an MEng course in mechanical engineering. Because of the somewhat extortionate response to covid, all the lectures were 100% online, and I was totally failing to learn CAD, but found all other parts of the course quite easy. Anyway, I ended up having a disagreement with the head of the course, and I had some really bad luck with the flatmates, and since everything was online, I didnt meet any of my coursemates, so I dropped out before the xmas break.
For the rest of the year, I worked a few jobs saved some money, bought some fast/fun/interesting cars, and then went to Aberystwyth uni to do physics (no CAD, but its REALLY boring). Ive made some friends here, so its better than last time, but I still feel like dropping out.
The problem is, whats the alternative?
Im only at uni because I cant think of anything else to do, and I feel like there couldnt be a worse reason to.
There isnt a single job/career/occupation that Im particularly drawn to.
So internet, what are my options? Live in a van? (Effectively being homeless, but a little warmer) Continue with my degree, on the quest to a future 9-5 of abject normallity? Something else?
Your advice is much appreciated!

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that you're unsure of how you're feeling at Aberystwyth University at the moment, but happy to hear that you've made some friends :smile: I am of course going to recommend that you finish your degree - like mentioned above, the opportunities with a physics degree are endless! It's also a degree, so even if you find a passion elsewhere, hopefully the skills you'll learn from your degree will be very useful.
Have you talked to anyone from the University or the Students' Union? There is a lot of advise and guidance out there, have a look at these webpages if you would like to chat to someone about your future:
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/studentservices/careers/current-students/
https://www.abersu.co.uk/advice/

Please let me know if I can help in any other way at all :smile:

Anna
I agree with above if you're interested in fast cars and engineering joining one of the armed forces and doing one of their engineering apprenticeships would be a great way to go. The RAF have some good ones. You'd have accomodation with the job and perhaps a sense of being challenged that you're currently lacking.

Alternatively can you transfer credits onto another course that interests you more?

I've a friend who dropped out of uni completely and did an apprenticeship with F1 at Silverstone. He now works directly with Mercedes in race engineering.
Given your tendency to argue with anyone in authority (your school, your head of course at Swansea) I'm not sure that the recommendations above to go into the armed forces are likely to work out.

What jobs did you do during your gap year-ish? What did you like/hate about each of them?
Have you travelled anywhere since becoming an adult? Looked into working travel options?

You've now used up 2 years of student finance - so if you did decide to start again elsewhere later on then you wouldn't get funding for first year of a new course (unless you chose to study part time).

Are you sure that you want to drop out or is it just that you get low mood every winter and make irrational decisions? Would completing the year be completely unbearable or just a drag? Do you think you can pass the year? Do you think you'll feel like this when you move onto 2nd/3rd year topics on your current degree or does the prospect of those topics make you feel even more inclined to leave?
Original post by Aberystwyth University
Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that you're unsure of how you're feeling at Aberystwyth University at the moment, but happy to hear that you've made some friends :smile: I am of course going to recommend that you finish your degree - like mentioned above, the opportunities with a physics degree are endless! It's also a degree, so even if you find a passion elsewhere, hopefully the skills you'll learn from your degree will be very useful.
Have you talked to anyone from the University or the Students' Union? There is a lot of advise and guidance out there, have a look at these webpages if you would like to chat to someone about your future:
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/studentservices/careers/current-students/
https://www.abersu.co.uk/advice/

Please let me know if I can help in any other way at all :smile:

Anna

Yep, been there done that. Ive done quite badly on the first round of exams, so have to resit them in august. Probably going to mess these ones up too. I just havnt got the motivation or the interest, hopefully Ill scrape it together for the resits and pass the year.

As for joining the armed forces, it is very tempting. But as PQ said, probably not great if I end up disliking it and telling sarge to sod off.
In my gap year I worked as a TA, because going into teaching was always my backup plan if I didnt like engineering as a career. This of course presumed I would have a degree. I also delivered covid tests on sundays for the royal mail, which paid a LOT better. As for travelling, Ive booked the Mongol Rally for 2024 which Ill be doing with a few mates from school. Other than that, Ive not been abroad since I was a kid.

Ive not applied for student finance for next year, so Im not coming back, or going to another uni. Im actually really looking forward to leaving.
My plan? I havnt really got one. Ill get a summer job this summer, to try something new, Ill see whats available. Then if all else fails, Ill go back to being a TA and maybe do an open uni degree with a credit transfer from this degree (if I get any). If anyone has done an open uni degree, Id love to hear from you! (Especially the bad bits)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending