The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can still get rejected with full marks; especially at Cambridgege as I think they try to spot potential in people rather than go purely on grades ... hence interview. Having full marks will certainly put you at an advantage however; and also if you know the subject that well the interview shouldn't be too hard.
depends on subject. for example, 95%+ UMS is pretty much expected for maths cause the exams are so easy.

Im pretty sure UMS is weighted pretty highly as far as the application components go, but getting 100% UMS is by no means a guarentee. 95%+ is pretty much equivalent to 100 anyways and cambridge get ALOT of applicants with this.
I am sure that it would be an advantage, but I have no doubt that a good number of people will be applying with nearly perfect UMS - some of whom will undoubtedly be rejected.
Reply 4
I agree with everyone else. Whilst it's certainly not going to put you at a disadvantage, you have to bear in mind around two thirds of applicants at least will be applying with UMS of 90% +. Most I will guess will be averaging around 95%
Also, if you search for it, you'll see that some people have got in with under 90% (at AS especially) whilst others have been rejected with 90%+. It is just one small part of your application
emioly
I agree with everyone else. Whilst it's certainly not going to put you at a disadvantage, you have to bear in mind around two thirds of applicants at least will be applying with UMS of 90% +. Most I will guess will be averaging around 95%
Also, if you search for it, you'll see that some people have got in with under 90% (at AS especially) whilst others have been rejected with 90%+. It is just one small part of your application

a small part which is probably weighted more heavily than some of the other small parts:P
Reply 6
SouthernFreerider
a small part which is probably weighted more heavily than some of the other small parts:P

lol, okay maybe I shouldn't have used small
Still, I bet it's not weighted any more than interview and GCSE's, well maybe a little bit more. I don't know, I can't see into the admissions tutor's minds unfortunately!!!
Reply 7
You get an offer before you've completed your full A-level, so does it really matter what your total UMS is?
Reply 8
chan08
You get an offer before you've completed your full A-level, so does it really matter what your total UMS is?

It matters what your UMS are at AS level, as they see this when deciding whether to give an offer.

Personally, my UMS were a bit pants and I got in :p:, so there's always hope!
Can 100% UMS in your CHOSEN subject for a degree course make up for a B at AS level?
(not in a way of guaranteeing acceptance but in terms of how they will evaluate your application)
emilY?
It matters what your UMS are at AS level, as they see this when deciding whether to give an offer.

Personally, my UMS were a bit pants and I got in :p:, so there's always hope!

As in below 90%...?

Personally, I think it is heavily weighted on the interview performance.
Reply 11
dramaminedreams
As in below 90%...?

Personally, I think it is heavily weighted on the interview performance.

Yes, probably below 90%. I can't remember the numbers unfortunately.

Interviews are another factor, they're do not carry a weighting particularly greater than other things. As I said in another thread, 80% of interviews confirm the decision admissions tutors made based on the paper application. In terms of UMS, the school/college you attended probably contributes to the UMS marks they expect from you. If you're at Eton and you're achieving 83% across the board, then you're likely to be below average, if you're school is under OFSTED Special Measures, then you could be doing very well to achieve 83%, and have potential to achieve higher.

Everything is relative, a combination of factors go towards the decision of whether to give an offer, its hard to come up with hard and fast rules.
emilY?
Yes, probably below 90%. I can't remember the numbers unfortunately.

Interviews are another factor, they're do not carry a weighting particularly greater than other things. As I said in another thread, 80% of interviews confirm the decision admissions tutors made based on the paper application. In terms of UMS, the school/college you attended probably contributes to the UMS marks they expect from you. If you're at Eton and you're achieving 83% across the board, then you're likely to be below average, if you're school is under OFSTED Special Measures, then you could be doing very well to achieve 83%, and have potential to achieve higher.

Everything is relative, a combination of factors go towards the decision of whether to give an offer, its hard to come up with hard and fast rules.

I don't understand that. If they are basing their initial choices solely on grades, then why wouldn't they just interview the 6/7 people they could offer a place to, rather than interviewing 95% of applicants.
Reply 13
dramaminedreams
I don't understand that. If they are basing their initial choices solely on grades, then why wouldn't they just interview the 6/7 people they could offer a place to, rather than interviewing 95% of applicants.

They just have a good idea based on grades and PS, not always the right idea. There are 20% of cases where the applicant interviews awfully and turns out to be nothing like anyone imagined, or alternatively, shows much more potential than they thought. Maybe they received poor PS advice, or whatever.

The point that 80% of interviews confirm what admissions tutors were already thinking serves more to demonstrate that interviews are just another factor. Cambridge try very hard to make sure they have all the information possible about applicants to get the full picture of their potential. They interview as many as possible for this reason.
If you have been given an interview does it mean that ur grades are good enough to get you in (provided you interview really well as well) ?
Reply 15
Sry, I'm just an ignorant former IB-student whom is always amazed that people achieve an average of 95% or above in A-levels. How is this even possible, is it because of the modular system? I haven't heard a single IB student at my former school that got 95 % in a subject, although they have scored well above 40 points in total.
Reply 16
fumblewomble
It does vary a bit depending on the subject, but generally IB gives you the chance to go further than A level. As a result there aren't as many people getting the very highest marks. That's one of the reasons that Cambridge generally like the IB - it differentiates candidates much more than A levels do.

Aha, thanks for your answer! Now I know:biggrin: I just hope they will like my application next year then:rolleyes:
Yes. If they interview you then you stand a chance of getting in.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
emilY?
They just have a good idea based on grades and PS, not always the right idea. There are 20% of cases where the applicant interviews awfully and turns out to be nothing like anyone imagined, or alternatively, shows much more potential than they thought. Maybe they received poor PS advice, or whatever.

The point that 80% of interviews confirm what admissions tutors were already thinking serves more to demonstrate that interviews are just another factor. Cambridge try very hard to make sure they have all the information possible about applicants to get the full picture of their potential. They interview as many as possible for this reason.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think the interview is incredibly important and is more than just a confirmation procedure. As has been said hundreds of times, on paper most applicants will be pretty much at the same level before the interview. The interview is just the only way to distinguish them. I'm sure they don't care that much about UMS marks. But equally if you are getting 80% across the board, it's going to look better if you are getting good As rather than just average ones.
Reply 19
shadowsintherain
I'm not sure I agree with this. I think the interview is incredibly important and is more than just a confirmation procedure. As has been said hundreds of times, on paper most applicants will be pretty much at the same level before the interview. The interview is just the only way to distinguish them. I'm sure they don't care that much about UMS marks. But equally if you are getting 80% across the board, it's going to look better if you are getting good As rather than just average ones.

No, I apologise if I am not being clear. It is important, and it is not just a confirmation tool. It, however, happens that 80% of interviews confirm what admission tutors were already thinking about an applicant.

I do not mean to suggest that interviews are not important - they are of the same order of importance to all of the other aspects of the application process, but are often seen as the be all and end all.

Latest

Trending

Trending