The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help please!!

Hi, So I am applying for university to hopefully study Nursing, Midwifery or maybe Childs Nursing, however when I am writing my personal statement I can't figure out what to write about myself or my experiences that are relevant to the course.

Was just mainly looking for some advice or help to see if I could get some pointers. Is there specific things I should add about myself and others? Is there anything specific that the University Reps will be looking for within myself and my personal statement?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by DJApple333
Hi, So I am applying for university to hopefully study Nursing, Midwifery or maybe Childs Nursing, however when I am writing my personal statement I can't figure out what to write about myself or my experiences that are relevant to the course.

Was just mainly looking for some advice or help to see if I could get some pointers. Is there specific things I should add about myself and others? Is there anything specific that the University Reps will be looking for within myself and my personal statement?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi @DJApple333 !

My advice would be to link your experiences to the course even if they are unrelated. For example if you attend a club or work a job you can tie it to your chosen course by focusing on skills such as teamwork and collaboration, decision making, critical thinking etc. You could also talk about your long term plan and what you hope to get out of the chosen course.

I hope this helps and good luck writing!

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing Student
Hi @DJApple333

Completely agree with Emily from Edge Hill.

On our website we have a guide to writing a great personal statement, you can download it for free here.

I wish I had known about it back when I was writing my personal statement!

Good luck:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi @DJApple333!

I would agree with Emily's comment. The important thing is show that you have in fact had experiences related or unrelated to the subject you are planning to study and that you have a genuine interest in it. Even being in an extracurricular club or maybe attending a seminar, conference or a meeting can show you are serious about your study and potential future career as a young professional who likes to improve themself.

Also, I would also say to maybe frame the statement as a sort of a story about your school experience so far, including of course your interest and hobbies, that may be unrelated to school but that are going to be very important for establishing who you are as an individual.

I'm sure you'll do well writing the statement! Best of luck!

Milena 🙂
MA Creative and Critical Writing at Uni of Suffolk

Any help is appreciated!

Hi,

I would echo what others have said and link every experience you have back to how it relates to the course. Such as if you had a part time job in a shop/restaurant you built communication skills and problem solving skills during that role.

I would also relate things such as any volunteering roles you may have had and how that'll help you with nursing or midwifery. Include key words such as compassion, empathy and caring into your personal statement as these are the types of qualities that nursing interviewers will be looking for. As long as you can link it all back to how it will make you a better nurse then it is relevant.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your application,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Any help is appreciated!

I absolutely disagree with all of the students posting on this thread. Tenuous links between random things isn’t going to make your PS compelling.

before you start on your PS you need to decide which course you’re applying for. All 3 of your possible options can fill their courses many times over with applicants who are 100% committed to that specific degree and career.

Figure out what you want to study first. THEN look for the specific insights and experiences that that career is looking for. All 3 are tough degrees and careers - admissions staff will be looking for evidence in your PS that you understand what the degree and career involve and that you have the capability and motivation to succeed.
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I would echo what others have said and link every experience you have back to how it relates to the course. Such as if you had a part time job in a shop/restaurant you built communication skills and problem solving skills during that role.

I would also relate things such as any volunteering roles you may have had and how that'll help you with nursing or midwifery. Include key words such as compassion, empathy and caring into your personal statement as these are the types of qualities that nursing interviewers will be looking for. As long as you can link it all back to how it will make you a better nurse then it is relevant.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your application,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Hey Mary, im in year 12 and planning on applying for children nursing and LSBU has been one of my uni options to apply for children nursing through ucas. I was just wondering how it was like there.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
I absolutely disagree with all of the students posting on this thread. Tenuous links between random things isn’t going to make your PS compelling.

before you start on your PS you need to decide which course you’re applying for. All 3 of your possible options can fill their courses many times over with applicants who are 100% committed to that specific degree and career.

Figure out what you want to study first. THEN look for the specific insights and experiences that that career is looking for. All 3 are tough degrees and careers - admissions staff will be looking for evidence in your PS that you understand what the degree and career involve and that you have the capability and motivation to succeed.
Hey PQ hope you're okay.

Just replying to say I read all the replies and I took your advice on the end regarding finding the right course for me and focus on that one specific one.

I have an interview next Wednesday to hopefully go and study Adult Nursing! (fingers crossed haha)

Thanks a bunch for the help I really do appreciate it! :smile:
Hey PQ hope you're okay.

Just replying to say I read all the replies and I took your advice on the end regarding finding the right course for me and focus on that one specific one.

I have an interview next Wednesday to hopefully go and study Adult Nursing! (fingers crossed haha)

Thanks a bunch for the help I really do appreciate it! :smile:

Thanks for the update - and best of luck with your interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending