The Student Room Group

Choosing a degree

I'm currently torn between going down the science route, applying for 'applied medical science'/similar course or whether I should be looking towards a business degree (international business). I took biology, geography and pe and got ccc. I have always been interested in biology, although I feel business will allow me to earn good money and allow me to work and travel which is something i'm interested in. If anyone has any advice on those degrees or better alternatives would be great ,thanks.
Original post by jn704
I'm currently torn between going down the science route, applying for 'applied medical science'/similar course or whether I should be looking towards a business degree (international business). I took biology, geography and pe and got ccc. I have always been interested in biology, although I feel business will allow me to earn good money and allow me to work and travel which is something i'm interested in. If anyone has any advice on those degrees or better alternatives would be great ,thanks.

Hey @jn704 how are you? :smile:

Just wanted to pop on here and try give some advice, whilst I can't give specific advice about the two subjects, I would like to share some advice about choosing between two courses. When I was a student myself, I never had to weigh up different courses, I just knew I wanted to study media as it was the course I enjoyed at GCSE and A Level and I knew I wanted to go into a job in media. So for me, I chose the course that sounded really exciting and creative, had practical modules and assignments, lead to exciting, fun careers. I also went to an open day and applicant experience day at my chosen university and felt really at home and like I belonged on the course. It was exciting to see the facilities and take part in activities that showed me what the course would be like, so I'd definitely recommend having a look on university websites to see whether they have any upcoming open days and get a feel for both these courses. You can chat to the lecturers, speak to current students on the course, get a feel for the facilities, ask where their alumni have ended up working afterwards.

I'd also recommend making a more in-depth pros and cons list of each courses, I know you've started it a little above by saying business can lead to good money and allow you to work and travel. But have another think about what you will enjoy studying the most, look more in depth at the career paths, have you looked at uni's that offer these courses? Check out the module info so you'll know what you'll be studying each year, check out their facilities, whether they offer any placements etc. You could also speak to career advisors, family, anyone who could offer some insight and advice. But remember it's your decision in the end, but it's always good to hear an opinion too :smile:

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you! I wish you the very best of luck for the future and hope you enjoy your university journey when you start university :smile:

Becky
Reply 2
Original post by jn704

Do something you think you will enjoy and can see yourself doing for a while.
One of the things you will need to look into is whether you meet the Maths criteria.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @jn704 how are you? :smile:

Just wanted to pop on here and try give some advice, whilst I can't give specific advice about the two subjects, I would like to share some advice about choosing between two courses. When I was a student myself, I never had to weigh up different courses, I just knew I wanted to study media as it was the course I enjoyed at GCSE and A Level and I knew I wanted to go into a job in media. So for me, I chose the course that sounded really exciting and creative, had practical modules and assignments, lead to exciting, fun careers. I also went to an open day and applicant experience day at my chosen university and felt really at home and like I belonged on the course. It was exciting to see the facilities and take part in activities that showed me what the course would be like, so I'd definitely recommend having a look on university websites to see whether they have any upcoming open days and get a feel for both these courses. You can chat to the lecturers, speak to current students on the course, get a feel for the facilities, ask where their alumni have ended up working afterwards.

I'd also recommend making a more in-depth pros and cons list of each courses, I know you've started it a little above by saying business can lead to good money and allow you to work and travel. But have another think about what you will enjoy studying the most, look more in depth at the career paths, have you looked at uni's that offer these courses? Check out the module info so you'll know what you'll be studying each year, check out their facilities, whether they offer any placements etc. You could also speak to career advisors, family, anyone who could offer some insight and advice. But remember it's your decision in the end, but it's always good to hear an opinion too :smile:

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you! I wish you the very best of luck for the future and hope you enjoy your university journey when you start university :smile:

Becky

Hi Becky,
thank you for the advice that's really helpful!
Choosing between any courses depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you're passionate about biology and science, applied medical science might be more fulfilling. However, if you're attracted to the potential for travel and higher earnings, international business could be a better fit. Consider attending open days and speaking to academics from both courses to help you decide. Remember, your career path can evolve over time, so focus on what feels right. Its a hard decision that could be made easier by finding out more about the courses. Wish you luck in your choices :smile:
Hi,

Happy to hear you're going to University, it's a great adventure and next step so I wish you all the best!

It's clear that you have interests in both of these courses and that's great having options, but I think it's going to be a classic pros and cons list when looking at them, which one ticks more of your interests compared to the other, which one can you maybe see yourself progressing in more afterwards.

It's great to know that whichever one you end up going with you're going to enjoy and it's important to remember that.

Something else I can suggest is maybe looking at possible similarities between the courses, like transferable skills so if at the end of the course you end up choosing you could see how you could use what you learnt in that other area too depending on your next step!

I would advise talking to the lecturers from each course and see what reaction you get from yourself when they are explaining the course to you, do you feel excited and ready to go for that course then go for it.

As other comments have advised, your career path can change direction over time, so you need to concentrate on what feels right to you now, just find out as much as you can and go from there on how you feel.

I wish you look!

Best wishes,
Katie (Film graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Reply 7
Original post by WolvesRep1
Hi,

Happy to hear you're going to University, it's a great adventure and next step so I wish you all the best!

It's clear that you have interests in both of these courses and that's great having options, but I think it's going to be a classic pros and cons list when looking at them, which one ticks more of your interests compared to the other, which one can you maybe see yourself progressing in more afterwards.

It's great to know that whichever one you end up going with you're going to enjoy and it's important to remember that.

Something else I can suggest is maybe looking at possible similarities between the courses, like transferable skills so if at the end of the course you end up choosing you could see how you could use what you learnt in that other area too depending on your next step!

I would advise talking to the lecturers from each course and see what reaction you get from yourself when they are explaining the course to you, do you feel excited and ready to go for that course then go for it.

As other comments have advised, your career path can change direction over time, so you need to concentrate on what feels right to you now, just find out as much as you can and go from there on how you feel.

I wish you look!

Best wishes,
Katie (Film graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Hello Katie,
Thank you very much for your advice much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending