The Student Room Group

Geography GCSE help

hi, I hope you are well.

Geography (edexcel A): Paper 1: grade 6 Paper 2: grade 5 Paper 3: grade unknown (haven't done mock exam on paper 3 yet)
I struggle to revise so much content for geography. I really struggle with 8 marker questions as I always get around 2-3 marks every time because I don't understand the wording of the question. pls let me know if anyone can help me.

Thanks
Original post by Harman Kaur
hi, I hope you are well.

Geography (edexcel A): Paper 1: grade 6 Paper 2: grade 5 Paper 3: grade unknown (haven't done mock exam on paper 3 yet)
I struggle to revise so much content for geography. I really struggle with 8 marker questions as I always get around 2-3 marks every time because I don't understand the wording of the question. pls let me know if anyone can help me.

Thanks

I’m doing A Level, but I know for gcse, the structure is similar. For each paragraph, I make a clear statement depending on the question wording. for example/evidence, Figure X shows…… and then I use the PEEL structure (Point, Example, Explanation, Link back to Q) I do this 2x over and then get between 6-8 marks every time. I hope this helps a bit!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by greentiger
I’m doing A Level, but I know for gcse, the structure is similar. For each paragraph, I make a clear statement depending on the question wording. for example/evidence, Figure X shows…… and then I use the PEEL structure (Point, Example, Explanation, Link back to Q) I do this 2x over and then get between 6-8 marks every time. I hope this helps a bit!
Thanks but I struggle with understanding the question + sometimes I don't have a clue about what to write.
Hiya, I think in terms of understanding the question make sure you just break it down so if it’s a describe question then you don’t have to go into as much detail as an explain question etc. Having a look at practice questions and practice papers and Mark schemes can be helpful for this to help you reassure yourself or even going over it with a YouTube video walk-through. They might be able to give you some tips and pointers and hard to approach a question, if you don’t understand what the words mean.good luck!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
I would say look at exams from people with top marks, you can find some of these online if you search your GCSE and Spec. I got an 8 at GCSE, a lot of it is just memorising and knowing how to apply knowledge. Try active recall, make mindmaps and revisit them after a few says and consolidate what you know. Blurting is amazing and helps you to fill in the gaps of your knowledge. Regarding actually understanding the question, I would say make sure you pick out the key words such as 'evaluate' 'assess' 'to what extent' so you know exactly what it is asking from you. in your conclusion of paragraphs, make sure you are always referring to the question. And most importantly, make sure you are actually answering the question. I find that I got higher marks because I said which factors were more important than others, for example, the role of deforestation contributes to higher carbon in the environment than a growing population. This shows analysis which gets you the highest mark.

I don't know if this really helps to be honest because I struggle with trying to understand what the question is asking me, but this is what works for me.

Hope this helps!
Original post by haiho
I would say look at exams from people with top marks, you can find some of these online if you search your GCSE and Spec. I got an 8 at GCSE, a lot of it is just memorising and knowing how to apply knowledge. Try active recall, make mindmaps and revisit them after a few says and consolidate what you know. Blurting is amazing and helps you to fill in the gaps of your knowledge. Regarding actually understanding the question, I would say make sure you pick out the key words such as 'evaluate' 'assess' 'to what extent' so you know exactly what it is asking from you. in your conclusion of paragraphs, make sure you are always referring to the question. And most importantly, make sure you are actually answering the question. I find that I got higher marks because I said which factors were more important than others, for example, the role of deforestation contributes to higher carbon in the environment than a growing population. This shows analysis which gets you the highest mark.

I don't know if this really helps to be honest because I struggle with trying to understand what the question is asking me, but this is what works for me.

Hope this helps!
thank you it was helpful

Quick Reply

Latest