The Student Room Group

Can I get into uni with poor as-level grades? I don't want to resit.

I just recently took my as-level exams and did extremely poorly. I will be very lucky to even get DDD. However, I attend a certain college that allows me to progress straight into A-levels. We take our as-level exams in September of 2nd year.

I don't want to resit the year as it would be overbearing. I am worried that it might affect my acceptance into my dream university. My strict parents will be extremely angry at me and will punish me. They have always had high expectations of me and predicted me to get AAA in my exams but I don't see myself getting higher than CCC. I was dealing with alot of personal health issues this past year which negatively affected my performance.

I am determined to study 10 times harder this year as I know I can do alot better with the right amount of assistance. I have the ability to improve my grades in a short amount of time. I was predicted mainly 4s for GCSE but managed to get mainly 7s after studying for 6 months.

I was advised by some peers to take a gap year after college and then apply to university with my a-level grades. I was ready to take on the advice but a majority of others have recommended me to retake the entire year of college. I am currently working extremely hard on my personal statement, applying to more enrichment activities and plan on doing work experience or a degree apprenticeship during my gap year to strengthen my application. I feel like resitting just isn't an option for me. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice on what I can do. I don't want to make anymore mistakes.
Reply 1
Original post by Ann3a
I just recently took my as-level exams and did extremely poorly. I will be very lucky to even get DDD. However, I attend a certain college that allows me to progress straight into A-levels. We take our as-level exams in September of 2nd year.

I don't want to resit the year as it would be overbearing. I am worried that it might affect my acceptance into my dream university. My strict parents will be extremely angry at me and will punish me. They have always had high expectations of me and predicted me to get AAA in my exams but I don't see myself getting higher than CCC. I was dealing with alot of personal health issues this past year which negatively affected my performance.

I am determined to study 10 times harder this year as I know I can do alot better with the right amount of assistance. I have the ability to improve my grades in a short amount of time. I was predicted mainly 4s for GCSE but managed to get mainly 7s after studying for 6 months.

I was advised by some peers to take a gap year after college and then apply to university with my a-level grades. I was ready to take on the advice but a majority of others have recommended me to retake the entire year of college. I am currently working extremely hard on my personal statement, applying to more enrichment activities and plan on doing work experience or a degree apprenticeship during my gap year to strengthen my application. I feel like resitting just isn't an option for me. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice on what I can do. I don't want to make anymore mistakes.

What grades will your school predict for you in UCAS, as that is what is mainly going to determine what uni you can get into, not what AS grades you have got, or even what grades you think you can get?

Quick Reply

Latest