The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loans Payments

Looking for some advice on when my maintenance loans will be issued. I start my 3 year full time degree course February 2024 ending in September 2024.......Are the payments roughly every 3 months?......Also, my 2nd year does not start until October 2025 meaning there is a 13 month gap, what will happen in this instance?
Regards, Lee
Original post by lee2012uk
Looking for some advice on when my maintenance loans will be issued. I start my 3 year full time degree course February 2024 ending in September 2024.......Are the payments roughly every 3 months?......Also, my 2nd year does not start until October 2025 meaning there is a 13 month gap, what will happen in this instance?
Regards, Lee

Hi Lee,

Are you doing a part repeat or applying late? Typically funding is assessed over a full 9 month period with payments scheduled for the first day of each term. But applications run over a 12 month period. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Lee,

Are you doing a part repeat or applying late? Typically funding is assessed over a full 9 month period with payments scheduled for the first day of each term. But applications run over a 12 month period. Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, i originally wanted to start last October but due to health issues i was unable to, so I changed my course to an open degree which starts tomorrow. I really wanted to finish the first year in September and then start the 2nd year this October but was told i couldnt do this as i was only allowed to study a max of 120 credits per year?. Hence having the large gap in between.
Hi Jason, i originally wanted to start last October but due to health issues i was unable to, so I changed my course to an open degree which starts tomorrow. I really wanted to finish the first year in September and then start the 2nd year this October but was told i couldnt do this as i was only allowed to study a max of 120 credits per year?. Hence having the large gap in between.

Thanks Lee,

Had you reapplied as an October start for 2023 or did you amend this to Feb? The reason being is, if you're returning in October 2024 then you would remain on the October intake. The university can send us over a 'change of circumstance' so the funding can be pro rata'd for the dates you are in study. If you're not sure then you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or via the live chat in your account so we can check your application for you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Thanks Lee,

Had you reapplied as an October start for 2023 or did you amend this to Feb? The reason being is, if you're returning in October 2024 then you would remain on the October intake. The university can send us over a 'change of circumstance' so the funding can be pro rata'd for the dates you are in study. If you're not sure then you can contact us on 0300 100 0607 or via the live chat in your account so we can check your application for you. Thanks, Jason

I hadnt completed my SFE application for the October 2023 course. They were awaiting my medical evidence and my passport. Before i could finish the application i had a motorcycle accident which threw everything up in the air and meant i would not have been able to start the course in October 2023. Its only in the last month i have been back home and trying to arrange to start a course. I receive working tax credits and some housing benefit but i know i will be migrated over to Universal credit at some point this year, so it was important for me to begin the course as soon as possible as i had been told i would not be entitled to student finance once on Universal Credit unless i had already begun the course. After speaking to the Open University they suggested i cancelled the old course and enrol on an Open Degree instead as it would still cover the majority of modules i originally wanted and it would start February 2024. I have sent everything to SFE last week, my national insurance number, bank details, medical evidence and passport details along with the "change of course" paperwork downloaded from SFE. So does this mean that when i finish the first year in September 2024 it IS possible for me to start the 2nd year a month later in October 2024?......Sorry for the long reply!!!
I hadnt completed my SFE application for the October 2023 course. They were awaiting my medical evidence and my passport. Before i could finish the application i had a motorcycle accident which threw everything up in the air and meant i would not have been able to start the course in October 2023. Its only in the last month i have been back home and trying to arrange to start a course. I receive working tax credits and some housing benefit but i know i will be migrated over to Universal credit at some point this year, so it was important for me to begin the course as soon as possible as i had been told i would not be entitled to student finance once on Universal Credit unless i had already begun the course. After speaking to the Open University they suggested i cancelled the old course and enrol on an Open Degree instead as it would still cover the majority of modules i originally wanted and it would start February 2024. I have sent everything to SFE last week, my national insurance number, bank details, medical evidence and passport details along with the "change of course" paperwork downloaded from SFE. So does this mean that when i finish the first year in September 2024 it IS possible for me to start the 2nd year a month later in October 2024?......Sorry for the long reply!!!

Thanks Lee,

I would advise contacting us on one of the methods above just so we can ensure there's no issues when you go to reapply for the October course and we can advise further if we need to amend anything in the meantime. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Thanks Lee,

I would advise contacting us on one of the methods above just so we can ensure there's no issues when you go to reapply for the October course and we can advise further if we need to amend anything in the meantime. Thanks, Jason

Will do Jason, Thanks for your replies and advice, much appreciated.
Will do Jason, Thanks for your replies and advice, much appreciated.

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending