The Student Room Group

If anorexia has an effect on the mind, why did I not struggle academically in school?

For example I did better than people who weren't underweight and did not have my birth defect either. This was not reflected on exams for GCSE but at A Level it did. It just doesn't make sense to me. Also my memory was very sharp.
Because MH conditions and disorders affect different people in different ways.

Some folk with an ED might be acadmic high performers, whilst others might be incapable of attending school/college.
Original post by Admit-One
Some folk with an ED might be acadmic high performers, whilst others might be incapable of attending school/college.
I think If I told you my weight you would be terrified. I am anything between 27-30kg and this was also someone else's weight who as far as I know didn't have my birth defect but she's small for gestational age and an inch taller than me. I am 4 ft 8 and she's like 4 ft 9 but I was more academic than most healthy individuals. I was never in hospital for an eating disorder and didn't go to get treatment until I turned 18/19. By then I had left school.
Original post by Admit-One
How can we still be academic when we don't eat and our brains "don't work?" (That's anorexia anyway)
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anony345533
How can we still be academic when we don't eat and our brains "don't work?" (That's anorexia anyway)

Because your experience with anorexia isn't the same as everyone elses. It's not as simple as saying that everyone with anorexia struggles with academics. It might impact their energy levels or concentration, but they might find ways to accomodate this or otherwise perform well despite ill health.
Reply 5
Original post by Anony345533
For example I did better than people who weren't underweight and did not have my birth defect either. This was not reflected on exams for GCSE but at A Level it did. It just doesn't make sense to me. Also my memory was very sharp.

I was similar. I got the highest GCSE grades in my year. I hope it doesn’t affect my A Levels.😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending