The Student Room Group

I don't want to do medicine

My parents are really adamant that I do medicine even though I've explained to them several times that I don't necessarily enjoy science that much and would like to go into law.
I am currently in year 11, and it looks like they'll be picking my A-level options as I don't even want to go into it. I've only had a conversation once with them on how I don't want to do medicine, and it ended up with us arguing for hours and that was last year.

I don't know what to do because I know if I go into medicine I won't enjoy it at all but knowing that they've sacrificed so much coming to this country so that I could have a better life, really makes it even more difficult. I was thinking of just studying medicine and then returning to do what I want but will it be too late?
Reply 1
It's your life, don't fall into hardship because if them, my parents did that to me. Now I know I have to be strong and make it clear to them I'm in charge of my life.
Original post by Anonymous
My parents are really adamant that I do medicine even though I've explained to them several times that I don't necessarily enjoy science that much and would like to go into law.
I am currently in year 11, and it looks like they'll be picking my A-level options as I don't even want to go into it. I've only had a conversation once with them on how I don't want to do medicine, and it ended up with us arguing for hours and that was last year.

I don't know what to do because I know if I go into medicine I won't enjoy it at all but knowing that they've sacrificed so much coming to this country so that I could have a better life, really makes it even more difficult. I was thinking of just studying medicine and then returning to do what I want but will it be too late?

Mate trust, don’t do medicine cause you’re not passionate, because if not trust me it will be the biggest regret of your life. Have you seen the status of the NHS right now?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Can you have a chat with someone like your Head of Year (or equivalent post) at your school? They could then talk to your parents about this. The perspective of someone in authority (in this case, a teacher) might help them realise that studying a degree course that you don't want to do is not going to be a recipe for success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending