The Student Room Group

Confused

IMG_1551.jpgm
Original post by Dumbo786
IMG_1551.jpgm

Which of the boxes have you ruled out as a result of each of the clues? What boxes do you have left?
Reply 2
I have 1.56,1.60,1.80,1.85,1.74 left
Reply 3
I have 1.56,1.60,1.80,1.85,1.74 left
There are a some hints left like no copper coins, ice cream costs twice crisps, ...
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
It says you can pay without using copper coins but that doesn’t mean you can’t get copper in change! Eg: 52x3 = £1.56, so if I payed using a £2 coin i could get 64p change.
Reply 5
It says you can pay without using copper coins but that doesn’t mean you can’t get copper in change! Eg: 52x3 = £1.56, so if I payed using a £2 coin i could get 64p change.
I think it does mean that you can pay exactly without using copper coins.
Reply 6
Yes it says you should have 3 numbers left which I do. They are, £1.60,£1.80,£1.85. I don’t understand how these 3 digits can help in more ways than one?? It says this is a very clever clue? Can you think of something I can’t seem to find?
Reply 7
Yes it says you should have 3 numbers left which I do. They are, £1.60,£1.80,£1.85. I don’t understand how these 3 digits can help in more ways than one?? It says this is a very clever clue? Can you think of something I can’t seem to find?
Ice cream is twice as much as crisps. Both must be whole numbers (hint especially crisps), so what does this mean about the total?

Clue 1 says, "You need more than three coins to make this amount." Are you sure you need more than three coins to make £1.60?

What rule did you use to rule out £1.45?

The last clue says, "The ice cream costs exactly twice as much as the crisps." So instead of buying an ice cream and a packet of crisps, I must be able to but three packets of crisps with that same about of money. This must mean that the total price must be divisible by 3.
Reply 9
To make £1.60 ,I can use £1,50p, 2x 5p! I ruled out £1.45 because if crisps are more than 50p ,3x 50 p would be £1.50 total.
I think it’s £1.80 because others will have to be like £1.60= 53p r1, £1.85= 61p r2.
To make £1.60 ,I can use £1,50p, 2x 5p!

Clue 1 doesn't say "You can use more than three coins to make this amount." You can use more than three coins to make any of the amounts. It says, "You need to use more than three coins to make this amount." Do you need to use more than three coins? Or have just just chosen to do so?

I ruled out £1.45 because if crisps are more than 50p ,3x 50 p would be £1.50 total.

True. But if you're applying the clues one by one, at the time you're told "The crisps cost more than 50p", you don't yet know about multiplying by three. That information only arrives in the last clue. So when it says, "If you go through the clues in order, you should be down to just three possibilities when you get to here", one of those three possibilities would be £1.45. You can then exclude it exactly as you have done because you've been told that crisps cost more than 50p and now you know that the total price is the price of crisps x 3. So that last clue can indeed help you in more than one way - because it both excludes £1.45 and and tells you that the total price must divide by 3.

I think it’s £1.80 because others will have to be like £1.60= 53p r1, £1.85= 61p r2.

I agree that it's £1.80. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest