The Student Room Group

Cambridge College best for law (+ extra considerations)

Hi, I am planning on applying for Law at Cambridge and have been looking at where specifically. Aside from wondering about which is best for law I am also disabled and female (if that changes anything as I know there are female only colleges!). Due to physical disabilities (I cannot walk long distances) I was wondering what college may suit me best for law in general however I do not want this to dominate my reasoning for applying to a certain college so any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I am planning on applying for Law at Cambridge and have been looking at where specifically. Aside from wondering about which is best for law I am also disabled and female (if that changes anything as I know there are female only colleges!). Due to physical disabilities (I cannot walk long distances) I was wondering what college may suit me best for law in general however I do not want this to dominate my reasoning for applying to a certain college so any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!
Hey, I dont know if i can help you much, but I remember that Newnham (all women) is like 5 mins away from the Law faculty so it may be a choice to consider! I wish I had applied to newnham directly but I went for an open application and got allocated to medwards (also all women) :smile:)) medwards is great too! At the offer holder day they say that they have a “book fetching service” at medwards library for anyone that needs it. However Medwards is quite far (30-40 mins walk) from the law faculty sooo

Regarding which college is best for law, tbh at the end of the day youre still being educated as one cohort and doing lectures altogether. Perhaps you might want to look into the professors and alumni of each college… im not too sure. I think the colleges are basically just where you eat, sleep and live. They also manage your supervisions, but that doesnt mean that all your supervisions will be done by ur dos or at ur college. Sometimes you can get assigned to supervisions at other colleges.

So Id recommend you choose a college based on preference and what caters to your needs and likes. Dont quote me on some things tho! Im also not very certain myself haha.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
From a logistics perspective, any college that is near the Sidwick site, where you will be doing most of your lectures. https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.202268,0.118028,16

Selwyn and Newnham are the closest and are literally next door. Caius is also next door, but that's just one of its sites where the 1st year undergrads live I believe.

The next nearest ones are probably Queens and Robinson.
Reply 3
Original post by Coeoe
Hey, I dont know if i can help you much, but I remember that Newnham (all women) is like 5 mins away from the Law faculty so it may be a choice to consider! I wish I had applied to newnham directly but I went for an open application and got allocated to medwards (also all women) :smile:)) medwards is great too! At the offer holder day they say that they have a “book fetching service” at medwards library for anyone that needs it. However Medwards is quite far (30-40 mins walk) from the law faculty sooo
Regarding which college is best for law, tbh at the end of the day youre still being educated as one cohort and doing lectures altogether. Perhaps you might want to look into the professors and alumni of each college… im not too sure. I think the colleges are basically just where you eat, sleep and live. They also manage your supervisions, but that doesnt mean that all your supervisions will be done by ur dos or at ur college. Sometimes you can get assigned to supervisions at other colleges.
So Id recommend you choose a college based on preference and what caters to your needs and likes. Dont quote me on some things tho! Im also not very certain myself haha.

Thank you!! Do you have any in general pros and cons for the colleges too if that’s not too much trouble?? I really appreciate your insight! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
From a logistics perspective, any college that is near the Sidwick site, where you will be doing most of your lectures. https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.202268,0.118028,16
Selwyn and Newnham are the closest and are literally next door. Caius is also next door, but that's just one of its sites where the 1st year undergrads live I believe.
The next nearest ones are probably Queens and Robinson.

Thank you :smile: I really appreciate your insight!!! Do you have any in general pros and cons for the colleges too if that’s not too much trouble??
Reply 5
Thank you :smile: I really appreciate your insight!!! Do you have any in general pros and cons for the colleges too if that’s not too much trouble??

This is good as it has student views, although it’s not complete yet for all courses and colleges - https://www.cambridgesu.co.uk/access/alternative-prospectus/
Reply 6
Thank you!! Do you have any in general pros and cons for the colleges too if that’s not too much trouble?? I really appreciate your insight! :smile:

Hey, there are 31 colleges so it would be kind of hard to do this.
I would recommend you do a search online! There are a ton of websites and pages dedicated to each college. Each college even have their own webpages too. They have all the information you need :smile:)

Hi!

I think a great choice is Selwyn college. this is because it has some really good professors like Janet O'Sullivan, and it is extremely close to the law faculty. However, it is further out from the rest of town. but the thing is that Sigwick site where the law fac is, is not in town.

if you'd rather be in town (as lectures are recorded anyway) then some good choices are Pembroke, or maybe Corpus.

however, for superviosns you will have to treck all over the city to various colleges, thus if mobility is an issue, maybe speak to the college you get allocated and see what they say.

As for law specifically, there are benefits to going to certain colleges. For example, Trinity Hall was traditionally a law college and has affiliation with Slaughter and May. I'm sure other colleges have similar things with other firms. But in terms of the actual degree, it does not matter much as your supervisors will be from different colleges anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi!
I think a great choice is Selwyn college. this is because it has some really good professors like Janet O'Sullivan, and it is extremely close to the law faculty. However, it is further out from the rest of town. but the thing is that Sigwick site where the law fac is, is not in town.
if you'd rather be in town (as lectures are recorded anyway) then some good choices are Pembroke, or maybe Corpus.
however, for superviosns you will have to treck all over the city to various colleges, thus if mobility is an issue, maybe speak to the college you get allocated and see what they say.
As for law specifically, there are benefits to going to certain colleges. For example, Trinity Hall was traditionally a law college and has affiliation with Slaughter and May. I'm sure other colleges have similar things with other firms. But in terms of the actual degree, it does not matter much as your supervisors will be from different colleges anyway.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending