The Student Room Group

Picking an undergraduate course to study wildlife

Hello!! I am new to this and I don't really have a clue how this works... but was wondering if anyone can help me with a query.
I am really passionate about wildlife & the environment and love pretty much anything weird and wonderful (earthworms are the speciality) and I can't decide between a few courses.
My options are a foundation degree in Animal Management at the college I am currently at, bsc in Biological science at the Royal Veterinary College or bsc ecology and conservation at Reading University. I really enjoy dissections and field work and am hoping for a career that suits this (however I am very indecisive!!! This could completely change so I want something that can give me tasters of different areas in this industry). I also have my sights set on doing a masters afterwards... very interested in a course in biodiversity and conservation at Oxford. Does anyone have any thoughts on which undergraduate course may set me up best for this? Obviously I would have to do a top up after the animal management course (hopefully in environmental science or biological science)... would this limit my chances???
Thank you so much as this has been a difficult time and I appreciate any help :smile:
Original post by Bubblepuff
Hello!! I am new to this and I don't really have a clue how this works... but was wondering if anyone can help me with a query.
I am really passionate about wildlife & the environment and love pretty much anything weird and wonderful (earthworms are the speciality) and I can't decide between a few courses.
My options are a foundation degree in Animal Management at the college I am currently at, bsc in Biological science at the Royal Veterinary College or bsc ecology and conservation at Reading University. I really enjoy dissections and field work and am hoping for a career that suits this (however I am very indecisive!!! This could completely change so I want something that can give me tasters of different areas in this industry). I also have my sights set on doing a masters afterwards... very interested in a course in biodiversity and conservation at Oxford. Does anyone have any thoughts on which undergraduate course may set me up best for this? Obviously I would have to do a top up after the animal management course (hopefully in environmental science or biological science)... would this limit my chances???
Thank you so much as this has been a difficult time and I appreciate any help :smile:

Hi @Bubblepuff!
Great to hear that you're interested in Reading and passionate about your course! My best advice to you would be to take some time comparing your top choices, looking at the courses themselves in terms of modules, methods of teaching and learning, contact time etc, but ensure you're comparing this with what your wider university experience will look like: look at the university campuses, facilities, social aspects and accommodation options, and, most importantly, consider what opportunities for work experience and personal development are on offer both within and outside your interests to broaden your horizons!

I've found my time at Reading to be really good on that front, as well as an involved and supportive team of staff and lecturers I've had loads of work experience through the Reading Internship Scheme, THRIVE mentoring, our Red Award, and some on-campus bars and dining experience for some extra money. To check out what we offer here at Reading I'd recommend that you check out our accommodation, student life, and Student Union pages to get an idea of what it'd be like to study here!

In terms of the Oxford Msc, have a look at the entry requirements and suggested qualifications and maybe consider using a platform like LinkedIn to chat to current/past students of the course and get some advice! Or even email their admissions team to ask? You'll find people from a variety of different undergraduates (obviously with similar foundational experience/skills) will enter it but I think a background in conservation would set you up nicely, and any extra work experience or volunteering you can get alongside your studies would give you a bit of an edge over other applicants.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hi @Bubblepuff!
Great to hear that you're interested in Reading and passionate about your course! My best advice to you would be to take some time comparing your top choices, looking at the courses themselves in terms of modules, methods of teaching and learning, contact time etc, but ensure you're comparing this with what your wider university experience will look like: look at the university campuses, facilities, social aspects and accommodation options, and, most importantly, consider what opportunities for work experience and personal development are on offer both within and outside your interests to broaden your horizons!

I've found my time at Reading to be really good on that front, as well as an involved and supportive team of staff and lecturers I've had loads of work experience through the Reading Internship Scheme, THRIVE mentoring, our Red Award, and some on-campus bars and dining experience for some extra money. To check out what we offer here at Reading I'd recommend that you check out our accommodation, student life, and Student Union pages to get an idea of what it'd be like to study here!

In terms of the Oxford Msc, have a look at the entry requirements and suggested qualifications and maybe consider using a platform like LinkedIn to chat to current/past students of the course and get some advice! Or even email their admissions team to ask? You'll find people from a variety of different undergraduates (obviously with similar foundational experience/skills) will enter it but I think a background in conservation would set you up nicely, and any extra work experience or volunteering you can get alongside your studies would give you a bit of an edge over other applicants.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Hi Kat!

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate your time to answer and help me out. The information has been really useful and has helped me to see that it's not all about what I learn on the curriculum... but the bigger picture and my enjoyment as a whole. After having a look, the Ecology and Conservation course at Reading is defo my favourite by far... however I don't feel ready at the moment to move away from home. I sometimes feel that I am being silly because I have to move away and have new experiences eventually, but at the moment I think an extra year or two at home for me would be the best option. Do you know if Reading offer top up courses or transfers if the modules are appropriate? I have emailed admissions but sadly have not had a reply.

Will have a look into the masters and see if i can contact previous or current students!

Many thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending