The Student Room Group

is it normal to be so astronomically depressed leaving for uni

i’ve always been bad with change but ever since my brother moved out i’ve been a constant short fuse idk how to explain it like that was really hard because it was just so different and i thought we’d be kids forever so it felt so sudden despite not being so, then after MONTHS i settled with the new norm but the next year my sister moved out and it was really hard again and i’m still grappling with my emotions even now i know this sounds dramatic but it’s hard, now it’s me this september and my two little sisters soon after and i’m hit the worst i’ve ever been i feel like i’ve been the worst sister ever and i’m afraid of just leaving obviously i’ll be back for holidays but it’s not the same and since like i’ve processed this is real and i will be leaving i’ve been just crying every night this isn’t an exaggeration is this normal sometimes i just can’t snap myself out of it i KNOW in my head i’m being dramatic but i can’t stop myself from processing in this way and i’m just afraid of everything and i’m scared of the change AGAIN and i hate that i can’t go back to how things were and i don’t know what’s wrong with me i’ve been crying every night since like january.
Original post by Anonymous #1
i’ve always been bad with change but ever since my brother moved out i’ve been a constant short fuse idk how to explain it like that was really hard because it was just so different and i thought we’d be kids forever so it felt so sudden despite not being so, then after MONTHS i settled with the new norm but the next year my sister moved out and it was really hard again and i’m still grappling with my emotions even now i know this sounds dramatic but it’s hard, now it’s me this september and my two little sisters soon after and i’m hit the worst i’ve ever been i feel like i’ve been the worst sister ever and i’m afraid of just leaving obviously i’ll be back for holidays but it’s not the same and since like i’ve processed this is real and i will be leaving i’ve been just crying every night this isn’t an exaggeration is this normal sometimes i just can’t snap myself out of it i KNOW in my head i’m being dramatic but i can’t stop myself from processing in this way and i’m just afraid of everything and i’m scared of the change AGAIN and i hate that i can’t go back to how things were and i don’t know what’s wrong with me i’ve been crying every night since like january.

Yes! It is definitely most normal.
I share a similar situation, but instead of Uni, I go to a boarding school - separated by a 14-hour flight from home. It's been 3 years since I've left and also have dreaded in the past as I'm scared of how everything will change; in which things won't be the same as before.
Nowdays, I realise sometimes change can be good - and that we all will experience in life. Whether the change comes early or late, the change will still arrive somehow!
I want you to know you're not alone and change is a normal element in our lives. Furthermore, I know you are a strong, independent individual who can and will face the challenges ahead.
You can do it - I know you can!!

I wish you all the best, good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Yes! It is definitely most normal.
I share a similar situation, but instead of Uni, I go to a boarding school - separated by a 14-hour flight from home. It's been 3 years since I've left and also have dreaded in the past as I'm scared of how everything will change; in which things won't be the same as before.
Nowdays, I realise sometimes change can be good - and that we all will experience in life. Whether the change comes early or late, the change will still arrive somehow!
I want you to know you're not alone and change is a normal element in our lives. Furthermore, I know you are a strong, independent individual who can and will face the challenges ahead.
You can do it - I know you can!!
I wish you all the best, good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your response and kind words, i’m glad it isn’t just a me thing. And good luck with your boarding school 14 hours away sounds so scary and tiring but as you’ve said yeah change will always happen, so I’ll try and look at things from that outlook as you seem to with your situation. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

There is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-Relate, they have a chat advisor

-Mental Health 24/7: 0800 008 6516

-hubofhope website, useful contact information for your local area

You can self refer yourself to talking therapies on the NHS website.

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being.

Quick Reply

Latest