The Student Room Group
alio~
it just seems that it would lead to a boring career sat in an office or at a PC all day :p: I can understand why u'd want to do science its interesting though the thought of doing maths all day is depressing :confused: then again im not exactly certain of the careers involved but still someone explain :confused:

I know it sounds strange, but some people actually enjoy maths!! You say that science is interesting, but a lot of science (the majority) is related to maths. I don't know the statistics but I imagine most maths graduates go into finance and general city-type jobs.
Reply 2
ilovemonkeys
I know it sounds strange, but some people actually enjoy maths!! You say that science is interesting, but a lot of science (the majority) is related to maths. I don't know the statistics but I imagine most maths graduates go into finance and general city-type jobs.

yea i suppose though the career itself sounds boring as in sat in an office every day though like you said they probably enjoy it :biggrin:
Reply 3
I like business stuff but then I have a good understanding of it and its what I eventualy want to do, maths however turns me off. The fact I am not good at maths is why I won't be able to get a first, however I still think I am above average (UK) at maths.
Reply 4
the idea behind doing a maths degree is you can dazzle people with your sharp and rigorous brain, and get a nice city job, or if you actually really love the maths (and I do enjoy maths), you can have a nice cushy academic position which admittedly won't pay much but will be secure, and involve rich tea biscuits and general niceness.
Reply 5
I take both Maths and Business at A level and intend to take Maths and Economics at Uni.

Not only are they excellent for job prospects but they are both really fascinating (in my mind) aswell as far more intrinsicly rewarding than any other subjects I've studied.
Reply 6
I personally decided to take Computer Science / Management degree as I couldnt see the practical aspects of maths, I found it to be too theoretical rather than practical - but some ppl enjoy that and the job prospects for maths grads are EXCELLENT.
Also Business is a VERY interesting subject. There is so much variety in Business as you study modules in: Accounting, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Business Strategy, Economics (Macro and Micro) and Organisational Behaviour. (This could however differ depending on the university)
Reply 7
Business/Economics is anything BUT boring. Personally I find it very intresting as it covers such a wide area, from Accounting through to marketing and advertising.
Reply 8
I am hopefully doing maths/economics next year :redface: , I can accept its not everyone's cup of tea but i find it really interesting, the fact it also opens up many job opportunities is a plus!
As business studies is becoming quite a popular degree to do, its harder to get the sorts of jobs people used to get with business degrees, but Maths can lead to lots of different finance/business related areas plus would be better regraded than Business.

Latest

Trending

Trending