The Student Room Group

Choosing IB subjects

I’m starting my ib year 1 after summer and we currently have to choose our subjects. Right now i’m thinking:

English lang & lit HL
Business management HL
Economics/ psychology HL
Spanish SL
Math AA SL
ESS/ computer science SL

I don’t know what to choose between econ and psych HL also ess and comp sci sl. I mostly want to study business in university (or economics/business economics, but leaning more towards business). Everyone recommended I take economics and I really enjoyed the subject at igcse so I don’t mind, but I really wanted to try psychology, it seems interesting. For the science group I had mixed responses, some said take ess and get an easy 7, but some said, take computer science since it’s an analytical science that looks better than ess, which is a soft subject for many universities. Another thing, can I take comp sci sl without any prior knowledge of the subject (not done at igcse) ?

Please help me decide, and also if anyone has taken these 4 subjects that I’m confused about, please tell me how they are, what you think about them and what you learn.

:smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sm2901
I’m starting my ib year 1 after summer and we currently have to choose our subjects. Right now i’m thinking:

English lang & lit HL
Business management HL
Economics/ psychology HL
Spanish SL
Math AA SL
ESS/ computer science SL

I don’t know what to choose between econ and psych HL also ess and comp sci sl. I mostly want to study business in university (or economics/business economics, but leaning more towards business). Everyone recommended I take economics and I really enjoyed the subject at igcse so I don’t mind, but I really wanted to try psychology, it seems interesting. For the science group I had mixed responses, some said take ess and get an easy 7, but some said, take computer science since it’s an analytical science that looks better than ess, which is a soft subject for many universities. Another thing, can I take comp sci sl without any prior knowledge of the subject (not done at igcse) ?

Please help me decide, and also if anyone has taken these 4 subjects that I’m confused about, please tell me how they are, what you think about them and what you learn.

:smile:

If you want to do economics at uni you need a hl maths (generally) some unis will be okay with your standard AA math but it depends. Check out entry requirements for your course before you choose subjects. Comp sci can be taken without GCSE, I know a student who is doing very well and did that.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, I probably am going to try comp sci in that case and as for math I could maybe switch English to SL. I’ve been reading that economics and business overlap with each other, so what do you recommend I pick between psych and econ?

Original post by _user_
If you want to do economics at uni you need a hl maths (generally) some unis will be okay with your standard AA math but it depends. Check out entry requirements for your course before you choose subjects. Comp sci can be taken without GCSE, I know a student who is doing very well and did that.
Reply 3
Original post by sm2901
Thanks for your reply, I probably am going to try comp sci in that case and as for math I could maybe switch English to SL. I’ve been reading that economics and business overlap with each other, so what do you recommend I pick between psych and econ?

Economics is not always a need for unis but also check that out. Some unis like if you didn't study economics but some don't mind. Personally I take economics and I really enjoy it which is why I'm considering it as a degree. Honestly just pick whatever subject you enjoy, I really enjoy Economics which is why I take it as a subject now. I have no idea about the business course as my school doesn't offer it. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by _user_
Economics is not always a need for unis but also check that out. Some unis like if you didn't study economics but some don't mind. Personally I take economics and I really enjoy it which is why I'm considering it as a degree. Honestly just pick whatever subject you enjoy, I really enjoy Economics which is why I take it as a subject now. I have no idea about the business course as my school doesn't offer it. Hope that helps! :smile:

It’s definitely helpful. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending