The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
omg :frown: I just chatted with a guy from india who told me that he had sent in several references from government for the cambridge application.

so now Im feeling even more depressed about the outcome.
Im just wondering, is that the standard for int. applications, or also for english ones? did many people actually do that?

Personally, I didnt even know that it was possible....
aaaahhhh I want to stop rethinking about it all [and I know that Im not very good at it, thanks haha]
Reply 41
Yasmin18
omg :frown: I just chatted with a guy from india who told me that he had sent in several references from government for the cambridge application.

Im just wondering, is that the standard for int. applications, or also for english ones? did many people actually do that?

aaaahhhh I want to stop rethinking about it all [and I know that Im not very good at it, thanks haha]

Government? :eek: I'd much prefer to think that it was just some overeager medic applicant sending in the equivalent of a CRB check in India rather than extra references from the Indian Ambassador in London who successfully resolved some diplomatic crisis on the advice of said applicant who is applying for SPS/PPS, or something...I personally did not have additional references aside from the UCAS one.

I'm currently trudging through US uni app land :>.<: Somehow rethinking my app seems like a much tastier option...
Reply 42

omg I just chatted with a guy from india who told me that he had sent in several references from government for the cambridge application.

I hardly think sending in references from the government is widespread or necessary.
Reply 43
1. I didnt mean references from the government. I just meant additional references in general.

2. actually he was for SPS / PPS :biggrin: haha
Reply 44
Agneisse

I'm currently trudging through US uni app land :>.<: Somehow rethinking my app seems like a much tastier option...

oh what US uni's did you apply for btw?
do you know wether it is absolutely necessary to take the SAT exams for it? Ive heard of people applying without them, but am not sure, as I dont know anyone who did that....
Reply 45
Yasmin18
oh what US uni's did you apply for btw?
do you know wether it is absolutely necessary to take the SAT exams for it? Ive heard of people applying without them, but am not sure, as I dont know anyone who did that....

Mostly in-state here in Virginia, plus Michigan, Illinois and Cornell for the compulsory Ivyness. One can tell I like snowy coldness :biggrin:

There are some SAT-optional schools where it's entirely possible to get in without SAT scores. Officially SAT scores don't mention that much anyway esp. for US applicants but lord knows what goes on in the minds of admissions people :rolleyes:
Reply 46
1. I didnt mean references from the government. I just meant additional references in general.

2. actually he was for SPS / PPS haha

Oh, lol alright.

Well I guess if there were special circumstances that his referee couldn't address it would be understandable.
Reply 47
Yasmin18
haha ok change of subject:

what is everyone doing for nye?

and how are you make time passing without thinking too much about the letter?

I really should concentrate on exams in january, but it just doesnt seem possible at the moment, argh!

I envy all oxford applicants for knowing!

I know, I'm so tense at the moment!
I can't revise properly as I keep thinking about it and I know if I get rejected (which is seeming increasingly likely) I won't be able to bring myself to revise at all because of the pit of misery I will resign myself to :yep:

So yes talking about NYE is a good distraction - I will, as tradition requests, be down at the Southbank heartily singing 'Auld Lang Syne' at the top of my voice :biggrin:
Reply 48
Yasmin18

I envy all oxford applicants for knowing!

i have at least two frds who applied to oxford and are still waiting for their letter.
they're international students (we're in hk here) though.
but yea, not every oxford applicant has found out yet...
Reply 49
Hi,
does anybody know if it's like in some Universities where you get a small letter for rejection and a big one for acceptance?

cheers

js
jean.buff
Hi,
does anybody know if it's like in some Universities where you get a small letter for rejection and a big one for acceptance?

cheers

js

No, offers can come on one piece of paper in an envelope.
Reply 51
PotOfGold
I know, I'm so tense at the moment!
I can't revise properly as I keep thinking about it and I know if I get rejected (which is seeming increasingly likely) I won't be able to bring myself to revise at all because of the pit of misery I will resign myself to :yep:

So yes talking about NYE is a good distraction - I will, as tradition requests, be down at the Southbank heartily singing 'Auld Lang Syne' at the top of my voice :biggrin:

sounds amazing though :smile:

oh my god, you have such amazing offers already, big congratulations :yep:
I thought that would make you somewhat more relaxed, but I know it doesnt really help, mine at least dont :p: at the moment it's like: cambridge or nothing, although I know that there are plenty of other amazing opportunities... but yes, it's very tense at the moment.
Reply 52
Hey just wanted to wish everybody a happy new year. Let's hope everything will work out fine for all of us!

Cheers

Js
Reply 53
:smile: Happy New Year to everyone too!
so supposedly they are sending the offer letters tmr???
Best of luck to everyone!
OMG it's going to take sooooo long for the letter to get to me in New Zealand. But I don't want to phone them up because that would be even worse. Besides I pity the person who has to pick up the phone and tell someone in person their hopes are crushed.
Why oh why don't they just update UCAS like every other uni???
Reply 55
i know what you mean with the waiting for the letters! if they dont inform me by email as well i will have a long, drawn out wait because the post is REALLY slow here and ive received all my other letters from the uk about 2-3 weeks after they were posted. i COMPLETELY forgot letters were being sent tomorrow until about an hour ago and now i cant stop freaking out. AAAA :eek3:
and im too scared to call them even if it takes ages for the letter to arrive
Reply 56
happy new year to everyone :smile:

and GOOD LUCK!!!
Reply 57
abel10
i know what you mean with the waiting for the letters! if they dont inform me by email as well i will have a long, drawn out wait because the post is REALLY slow here and ive received all my other letters from the uk about 2-3 weeks after they were posted. i COMPLETELY forgot letters were being sent tomorrow until about an hour ago and now i cant stop freaking out. AAAA :eek3:
and im too scared to call them even if it takes ages for the letter to arrive

haha and me, imagine that moment:
student: calls the admission office to ask about the decision
admission: "oh yes, hold on a second, I will just have a look"
..... [checking in the computer for your name] .....

IMAGINE THAT MOMENT! :eek:
Reply 58
Yasmin18
haha and me, imagine that moment:
student: calls the admission office to ask about the decision
admission: "oh yes, hold on a second, I will just have a look"
..... [checking in the computer for your name] .....

IMAGINE THAT MOMENT! :eek:

EXACTLY! how do you respond to what they say? if they say 'o yes sorry we wont be offering you a place' theyre going to be all pitying and then you have to say thank you and everything and its just bound to be awkward.

if you get an offer youll be running around your house screaming and they might think youre crazy and change their mind...
Reply 59
abel10
EXACTLY! how do you respond to what they say? if they say 'o yes sorry we wont be offering you a place' theyre going to be all pitying and then you have to say thank you and everything and its just bound to be awkward.

if you get an offer youll be running around your house screaming and they might think youre crazy and change their mind...

haha yes, Ill probably wait for the letter, too.
although I would much prefer the latter to happen of course :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending