The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To be honest it's not that important. If you don't get an offer then the person in the admissions office is someone you're never going to see again (if you ever saw them in the first place). Just say 'well thanks anyway' and I doubt that they'll say much more (they'll want to get off the phone so that other people can get through). If you do get an offer, they'll quite understand your excitement. Just say 'brilliant, thanks' and again, the conversation will probably end pretty soon. Admissions people really aren't people to be worried about - they'll be friendly but they're very busy and they certainly won't be judging you on what you say or how you react.
Reply 61
Yasmin18
haha yes, Ill probably wait for the letter, too.
although I would much prefer the latter to happen of course :wink:

xD What say us, The Society of Mail-Waiting People? :biggrin:
Reply 62
fumblewomble
To be honest it's not that important. If you don't get an offer then the person in the admissions office is someone you're never going to see again (if you ever saw them in the first place). Just say 'well thanks anyway' and I doubt that they'll say much more (they'll want to get off the phone so that other people can get through). If you do get an offer, they'll quite understand your excitement. Just say 'brilliant, thanks' and again, the conversation will probably end pretty soon. Admissions people really aren't people to be worried about - they'll be friendly but they're very busy and they certainly won't be judging you on what you say or how you react.

I dont think we were very serious, and of course we have been exaggerating :wink:
Reply 63
Agneisse
xD What say us, The Society of Mail-Waiting People? :biggrin:

will you definately not phone?

:biggrin: I thikn we should have our own thread, the "the BIG thread of agonising waiting and other fun" lol

:yep:
Reply 64
Yasmin18

:biggrin: I thikn we should have our own thread, the "the BIG thread of agonising waiting and other fun" lol

If I phoned I'd have to do it right before school, so:
- torture of waking up five minutes early (school starts at the inhumane hour of 7:20am for me)
- if I didn't get through the first time I wouldn't have time to try until the next day because I'd rather not see my referee who'd be more disappointed than me at a rejection and NOW it would be all I was thinking about
- I'm sure I'll get rejected and be all snippy in school
- I like mail (even if it is bad news) :biggrin:

I've emailed them, but I'm somewhat allergic to the phone as I go rather deaf suddenly and go all "pardon? I'm sorry, could you please repeat that? Okay, so...what was that again?" when the other party is clearly shouting so no phoning :biggrin:
Reply 65
Yasmin18

yes!! that way when we're up late at night unable to sleep and no more nails to bite we'll have somewhere to go!

and to clarify, yes, i am joking because quite frankly 6 billion people cope without getting into cambridge. for the few thousand who do well thats amazing and good for them but life goes on :smile:

would still love to go though. the course is just so good too! i love their course structures!
Reply 66
abel10
yes!! that way when we're up late at night unable to sleep and no more nails to bite we'll have somewhere to go!

and to clarify, yes, i am joking because quite frankly 6 billion people cope without getting into cambridge. for the few thousand who do well thats amazing and good for them but life goes on :smile:

would still love to go though. the course is just so good too! i love their course structures!

yes but 6 billion don't apply to Cambridge do they?
Reply 67
commando
yes but 6 billion don't apply to Cambridge do they?

but theres approx. 6 billion people (probably more by now, that statistic is old) on earth who go about their every day lives not worrying about the fact that they didnt get into cambridge. so if we don't get in it is not the end of the world because everyone else copes just fine not going. just my point of view :smile:
Reply 68
abel10
but theres approx. 6 billion people (probably more by now, that statistic is old) on earth who go about their every day lives not worrying about the fact that they didnt get into cambridge. so if we don't get in it is not the end of the world because everyone else copes just fine not going. just my point of view :smile:

I know what you mean I was just being pedantic :biggrin:
Reply 69
commando
I know what you mean I was just being pedantic :biggrin:

sorry my bad haha. just gearing myself up for the rejection!
Reply 70
abel10
sorry my bad haha. just gearing myself up for the rejection!

Yeh I feel the same. I can't see myself getting an offer for some reason.
Reply 71
hey how come some guys who applied to Christs already got their letters?
Reply 72
jean.buff
hey how come some guys who applied to Christs already got their letters?

1) they were rejected before interviews or..
2) theyre lying and don't actually have the letters yet as official send out date is jan 2nd (sure its true?) or...
3) Christs has gone crazy and, in the spirit of giving, has sent out letters early or...
4) isn't there a Christs in Oxford as well? could be that one instead or..
4) they have a time machine
Reply 73
lol ok thanks, I probably got it wrong, just seemed so unfair...
Ok well i dont know what to do! I really need advice please. I am applying for home status, but since my house is in the UK and i live in another country in Asia, and im not there i have no way to access my mail which gets sent to my UK house. I have no neighbour or relative who can get it either! So do i call or email? And when ? Tomorrow? Thanks so much for your advice
Reply 75
no I think some really did get offers already, look in the other threads. Ive read about some who got offers from christ's and some from emma's, how amazing is that.
imagine what a great nye :smile: haha
oh well it's only 2 nights to sleep for most on here, too :O
Reply 76
mysterygirl
Ok well i dont know what to do! I really need advice please. I am applying for home status, but since my house is in the UK and i live in another country in Asia, and im not there i have no way to access my mail which gets sent to my UK house. I have no neighbour or relative who can get it either! So do i call or email? And when ? Tomorrow? Thanks so much for your advice

Id just leave them an e-mail now and phone on the third or the fifth if they haven't replied by then.
Im sure that won't be a problem.
Reply 77
Yasmin18
Id just leave them an e-mail now and phone on the third or the fifth if they haven't replied by then.
Im sure that won't be a problem.

i second that, theyre usually very understanding with all this sort of stuff, i called my admissions tutor several times and she was really nice :smile: just explain the situation to them.

o ye and if it is true that people got in already well then WOW thats pretty insane, respect to whoever received the offers!

Latest

Trending

Trending