The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes.
Barry Chuckle
is an example of such for instance, i study a three year Beng degree, graduate and then go back to uni as a postgraduate to 'upgrade' my degree to a Meng?

It would be, but postgraduate MEng students are pretty rare, I'd have thought.
It would be an MSc, surely?
Reply 4
Good bloke
It would be, but postgraduate MEng students are pretty rare, I'd have thought.

why is this?

i want to study a three year Beng as IMO it will take pressure off me and there is no more commitment after the third year. :s-smilie:
Barry Chuckle
why is this?

you see, i want to study a three year Beng as IMO it will take pressure off me and there is no more commitment after the third year. :s-smilie:

Because after a BEng you would do a seperate MSc, not a top-up to MEng as the latter is just an undergraduate degree.
Barry Chuckle
why is this?

i want to study a three year Beng as IMO it will take pressure off me and there is no more commitment after the third year. :s-smilie:

Because you get decent funding to do an undergraduate MEng.
Reply 7
ChemistBoy
Because after a BEng you would do a seperate MSc, not a top-up to MEng as the latter is just an undergraduate degree.

i get you. however, if i chose to do simply the undergrad 3 year Beng, then decided to stay on one more year to upgrade to a masters, would i be able to walk out at the end of the third year outright with the beng, or would i have to complete the fourth year (and pass) to be able to leave that institution with any kind of qualification?
Barry Chuckle
i get you. however, if i chose to do simply the undergrad 3 year Beng, then decided to stay on one more year to upgrade to a masters, would i be able to walk out at the end of the third year outright with the beng, or would i have to complete the fourth year (and pass) to be able to leave that institution with any kind of qualification?

It isn't necessarily as simple as that. Many such courses involve switching at the end of the second year. I doubt many allow you to simply tack a year on at the end to upgrade.
Reply 9
Good bloke
It isn't necessarily as simple as that. Many such courses involve switching at the end of the second year. I doubt many allow you to simply tack a year on at the end to upgrade.

that makes sense.

i can become chartered (professional status) by working in industry after graduation. however i am unsure if i should take the chance of the extra year to gain the masters (and chartered status) as I feel it is extra commitment and risk somewhat.

are you an engineer?
Barry Chuckle
that makes sense.

i can become chartered (professional status) by working in industry after graduation. however i am unsure if i should take the chance of the extra year to gain the masters (and chartered status) as I feel it is extra commitment and risk somewhat.

are you an engineer?

No, but my son is doing an MEng.
Reply 11
It would be pretty silly do study a vocational course such as Engineering only do BEng.

Do the Masters as well. Cos that's the field you're going into, so learn all you can.
Reply 12
isn't the extra year adding a risk to coming away from uni with no qualification at all?
alan910_2
It would be pretty silly do study a vocational course such as Engineering only do BEng.

Do the Masters as well. Cos that's the field you're going into, so learn all you can.

There are two reasons not to do that: (a) you don't have the grades to get onto an MEng course and (b) you don't want to be an engineer (the course is perfectly acceptable for many other vocations).
Reply 14
Good bloke
There are two reasons not to do that: (a) you don't have the grades to get onto an MEng course and (b) you don't want to be an engineer (the course is perfectly acceptable for many other vocations).

Fair play.

What other vocations do you mean?
alan910_2

Engineering is vocational :confused:

I always thought vocational subjects/ courses were for the less able?

Maybe thats just at GCSE/A level.
Reply 16
Good bloke
No, but my son is doing an MEng.

son? for some odd reason I didnt think some of the Mods were like around 40 yrs old.
alan910_2
Fair play.

What other vocations do you mean?

Anything that just requires a demonstration of numeracy, for instance - banking, or teaching.
Reply 18
jabed786
son? for some odd reason I didnt think some of the Mods were like around 40 yrs old.

A long long time ago, TSR used to have a different name and used to be a teachers' forum
Reply 19
can someone answer post 14.

Latest

Trending

Trending