The Student Room Group

Maths at Bath

I have just had a look at the Bath maths dept. and see they have had to up their offers for applicants due to number of high calibre applicants last year. They had 1650 applicants for 152 places and most of those who made Bath their firm choice got their required grades. Now the offer for 2004 is; for those doing A2 Further Maths AAB and for those not including Further Maths at A2 it's AAA!!
That's more than any other uni in top 10 including Oxbridge.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
Now the offer for 2004 is; for those doing A2 Further Maths AAB and for those not including Further Maths at A2 it's AAA!!
That's more than any other uni in top 10 including Oxbridge.

Errrr, Cambridge want you to do STEP papers....
Reply 2
theone
Errrr, Cambridge want you to do STEP papers....

If you pass a step paper with a 'good grade' Bath will reconsider the AAA bit and maybe slightly lower the offer is you fail to get AAA, so it's still a bigger offer, whereas Cam will give an offer of AAB plus step, and they will also adjust offer is you narrowly fail to achieve it.
Reply 3
Unregistered
If you pass a step paper with a 'good grade' Bath will reconsider the AAA bit and maybe slightly lower the offer is you fail to get AAA, so it's still a bigger offer, whereas Cam will give an offer of AAB plus step, and they will also adjust offer is you narrowly fail to achieve it.

Err, not really. Cambridge insist you have normally a 2,1 and quite often fail people who've missed out, although I'll admit some people get in on 2,2 (as well as AAA usually). However, with Bath, you don't even need a STEP paper, so it's clearly easier to get into.
Reply 4
theone
Err, not really. Cambridge insist you have normally a 2,1 and quite often fail people who've missed out, although I'll admit some people get in on 2,2 (as well as AAA usually). However, with Bath, you don't even need a STEP paper, so it's clearly easier to get into.

I'd agree with that and I'm doing Maths at Bath. However, we do have one of the best Maths departments in the country (first according to the Times), and the callibre of students here is very high.
Reply 5
One of my friends is doing maths at Bath.
Reply 6
theone

How is it clearly easier to get into? In 2003 they had 1650 applicants for 152 places so those who were made offers had to be of the highest quality, and in 2004 it will be much harder because of upping the required grades. If someone can get AAB including further maths they would most probably be able to get 2,2 in step 2 & 3.
Reply 7
picju96
One of my friends is doing maths at Bath.

Which year?
Reply 8
Unregistered
How is it clearly easier to get into? In 2003 they had 1650 applicants for 152 places so those who were made offers had to be of the highest quality, and in 2004 it will be much harder because of upping the required grades. If someone can get AAB including further maths they would most probably be able to get 2,2 in step 2 & 3.

The fact that there is a lot more than 1 offer given out for each place. And noone will need get 2,2 since, if at all, they only ask for one STEP grade, a 2, in any step.
Reply 9
theone
The fact that there is a lot more than 1 offer given out for each place. And noone will need get 2,2 since, if at all, they only ask for one STEP grade, a 2, in any step.

Cambridge make more offers than places as do all unis because, on average a third of applicants fail to achieve their offers. Bath had 1650 applicants, they did not say they made 1650 offers. The fact that those who were made offers achieved their required grades would suggest that they did not make many more offers than places available. I can see a time where Bath will have to make STEP papers part of their official offer since they already use interview for offers.
I am not disputing that Oxbridge is more difficult to get into, just that Bath is getting harder to get into.
Reply 10
Cambridge makes aroundabot 1.25 offers per place, whereas Bath is probably nearer 3-5 (i don't actually know the figure, but this is what i'd say it is).

Also, of the 250 people who get into Cambridge to do maths, and make the offer, surely most of them will apply for Bath, get and offer, but no go?
Reply 11
Bigcnee
Which year?

First, which year you in?
Reply 12
theone
Cambridge makes aroundabot 1.25 offers per place, whereas Bath is probably nearer 3-5 (i don't actually know the figure, but this is what i'd say it is).

Also, of the 250 people who get into Cambridge to do maths, and make the offer, surely most of them will apply for Bath, get and offer, but no go?

If you actually look at the maths website at Bath you will see that those who made Bath their 'firm' comprised the bulk of the 152 places.This would dispute your presumption of 3 - 5 offers per place. Trinity coll. make 60 offers for about 30/35 places (yearly intake varies).
Are Oxbridge or Bath included in your 6 choices incidentally?
Reply 13
Unregistered
If you actually look at the maths website at Bath you will see that those who made Bath their 'firm' comprised the bulk of the 152 places.This would dispute your presumption of 3 - 5 offers per place. Trinity coll. make 60 offers for about 30/35 places (yearly intake varies).
Are Oxbridge or Bath included in your 6 choices incidentally?

Yes, Cambridge, Trinity (who incidentally have 40 places and make 4 offers for every 3 places) and Bath, both of which I think are really good universities. What I'm saying is that although only ~150 people held bath as their firm, this doesn't mean that a lot more people were not given an offer, only not to hold it as their firm.
Reply 14
theone
Yes, Cambridge, Trinity (who incidentally have 40 places and make 4 offers for every 3 places) and Bath, both of which I think are really good universities. What I'm saying is that although only ~150 people held bath as their firm, this doesn't mean that a lot more people were not given an offer, only not to hold it as their firm.

I heard that Trinity reduced their available places this year, could be that they put more in pool because the standard of applicants wasn't up to scratch. I really hope you do well in your applications - good luck.
Reply 15
Unregistered
I heard that Trinity reduced their available places this year, could be that they put more in pool because the standard of applicants wasn't up to scratch. I really hope you do well in your applications - good luck.

I hope they're not reducing their number of places, I certainly have not heard anything from them to suggest this, but if they do, you're probably right that more people will get pooled.

Are you applying this year as well?
Reply 16
picju96
First, which year you in?

First also.
Could you PM me his/her name, I could know them.
Reply 17
theone
I hope they're not reducing their number of places, I certainly have not heard anything from them to suggest this, but if they do, you're probably right that more people will get pooled.

Are you applying this year as well?

I applied to Trinity last year, and got an offer.
My head of sitxth form told me that they only had thirty places last year. Consequently when I missed my offer I was rejected outright.
Reply 18
Bigcnee
I applied to Trinity last year, and got an offer.
My head of sitxth form told me that they only had thirty places last year. Consequently when I missed my offer I was rejected outright.

Unlucky.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissionsinfo/admissionsguide/text/node33.html#SECTION00070000000000000000 has all the admissions data and it says Trinity had 40 places.
Reply 19
theone

What? FOr last year?
That link seems general.

Latest