The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think its quite personal, but as far as I'm concerned ive really matured as a person in ways that I wouldnt have done if Id gone straight to uni. Ive made a great friend that I wouldnt have done otherwise. Ive also saved around 3k through work and now have 6 months to do as I please with the safety of knowing I have a great uni course to look forward to at the end of it. My travelling plans have fallen through due to some seriously rubbish circumstances but I'll still never regret taking a year out. People including myself worry about not having as many friends as theyre all at uni, but its great. you learn more about yourself and learn to deal with things yourself as opposed to your life and who you are being dictated by your social circle.. I don't know if this makes sense but it does to me heheh..
Reply 2
misty
I think its quite personal, but as far as I'm concerned ive really matured as a person in ways that I wouldnt have done if Id gone straight to uni. Ive made a great friend that I wouldnt have done otherwise. Ive also saved around 3k through work and now have 6 months to do as I please with the safety of knowing I have a great uni course to look forward to at the end of it. My travelling plans have fallen through due to some seriously rubbish circumstances but I'll still never regret taking a year out. People including myself worry about not having as many friends as theyre all at uni, but its great. you learn more about yourself and learn to deal with things yourself as opposed to your life and who you are being dictated by your social circle.. I don't know if this makes sense but it does to me heheh..

Thanks alot that really helps it all depends on the type of person you are i'm thinking of taking a gap year to save money but theres a high % of people who take a gap year who dont go back into education.
Reply 3
claireflower
Thanks alot that really helps it all depends on the type of person you are i'm thinking of taking a gap year to save money but theres a high % of people who take a gap year who dont go back into education.

no probs- i didnt know so many people didnt go back into education? thats what everyone said would happen to me for the first few months but for me it would never be an option. like you say- it depends on the person! good luck anyway!
Reply 4
i'm working on my gap year, and the advantages are:

- you mature
- you can save some money/get some money to spend!
- you get a taste of the industry you might work in
- you get something on your CV
- you get some contacts!
- you gain experience of the real working world and therefore (hopefully!) develop a good work ethic that will help you through uni.
- you get a chance to go and stay with friends already at uni, get a taste of lots of different places and make sure your decision is right!
- i don't know national statistics but i imagine they are similar for all people working in gap year, as something like 80% of students through year in industry get a first or 2:1 in their degree, compared to 60% of students who go straight from school.
- more chance of sponsorship through university.

Latest