Flashcards

physical or digital flashcards

which one is good and why
Original post by Alm_xo

Here are some comparisons between physical and digital flashcards:

Advantages of physical flashcards:
- Clinically proven to be more effective, as your brain reviews the flashcards using active recall, as you review them physically so you're more attentive with it; also if you hand-make the flashcards, they might help for easier retention and better memory
- There's a smaller chance you would get distracted when reviewing them, as the number of distractions are limited - so you might have more effective reviewing

Advantages of digital flashcards:
- They might be more easily customisable, because you can constantly edit them and change fonts/colour/highlight words if needed + it's more useful, if you don't have lots of stationery and don't want to spend money on them; they can also take up less space and be organised more effectively
- If you use something like quizlet, there are different modes of testing available (like matching up the questions with the answers, having options for the answer etc.), not just the common look at the question then turn it over for the answer.
Original post by Alm_xo

I’ll add to the points above and say that it also depends how you create them. If you’re doing it digitally and are tempted to copy and paste text then you’re less likely to retain it, whereas making physical flashcards force you to either copy something out or summarise it.
Reply 3
(Original post by brainzistheword)I’ll add to the points above and say that it also depends how you create them. If you’re doing it digitally and are tempted to copy and paste text then you’re less likely to retain it, whereas making physical flashcards force you to either copy something out or summarise it.

Thanks for the reply x
Reply 4
(Original post by *LifeHappens*)Here are some comparisons between physical and digital flashcards:

Advantages of physical flashcards:
- Clinically proven to be more effective, as your brain reviews the flashcards using active recall, as you review them physically so you're more attentive with it; also if you hand-make the flashcards, they might help for easier retention and better memory
- There's a smaller chance you would get distracted when reviewing them, as the number of distractions are limited - so you might have more effective reviewing

Advantages of digital flashcards:
- They might be more easily customisable, because you can constantly edit them and change fonts/colour/highlight words if needed + it's more useful, if you don't have lots of stationery and don't want to spend money on them; they can also take up less space and be organised more effectively
- If you use something like quizlet, there are different modes of testing available (like matching up the questions with the answers, having options for the answer etc.), not just the common look at the question then turn it over for the answer.

thanks a lot xx
Original post by Alm_xo

Personally I use digital flashcards because they are easier to organise and edit. I use StudySmarter which has a free spaced repetition feature which is why I use it over Quizlet.

Quick Reply

Latest