The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
wannabe mexican
is that maybe why old people sell their youth?

No, that's for sexual favours. Trufax
Free Thinker
:rolleyes:

traitor, and a fool. We were the first empire to abolish slavery

your knowledge over your own empire astounds me wow you know the basic facts, lmao im a trator, id rather be a traitor knowing what is right unlike you, you dont have to ablosih slavery to keep a nation enslaved
I love how such a thread just brings up people's prejudice about a part of history they don't quite understand. Bold statements, half of which are totally misguided and untrue with no actual facts to back them up. Most of these ideas originating from "what my gran told me once at Christmas" or "some film I once saw with Mel Gibson"
It was destroyed by left wing or nationalist independence movements that, having expelled the British, set about repressing either everyone else or anyone not of their nationality/religion, respectively.
commando
Although they blame the fact that they are in a sorry state on us - no pleasing some people (jk).

Well, there's no doubt that the British Empire does share some of the blame for their current situation, but that doesn't change the fact that the average man on the street in, say, the Sudan, would be much more content under modern British rule than he is right now.
Reply 45
i would have been happy if england took over the whole world TBH, england is better than israel, america, germany, and russia.
Reply 46
Bagration
It was destroyed by left wing or nationalist independence movements that, having expelled the British, set about repressing either everyone else or anyone not of their nationality/religion, respectively.

well i can't blame them, but yes becoming independant was the worst thing that could have happend for most of those countries.
numb3rb0y
Unless you were actually one of the people fighting to claim it or maintain it, I don't see why you'd be proud of the Empire. I'd wager most of the people on this site were born after it fell through.

It'd probably be a good thing, overall, if GB still ruled its African territories, because with the exception of SA (and this is only post-Apartheid) they're in a sorry state. However, I'd much rather live in independent Canada than England, so take that as you will.

Actually Botswana would be recognised as a very well governed state with Ian Khama (half-British) being their president. But of course the average poster on here with their prejudice and ideas mostly from mainstream telly will not know much about any of that.

Former British colonies in Africa are recognised for good governance far more than other African colonies. A fact I pointed out to Lessthanzero but of course some people can't actually deal with facts that confront their prejudice and prefer to ignore...

Something I doubt many other posters on here realise is that Britain has sent a number of advisors to Sierra Leone and other countries to assist their governments there. All in all, by following the British political system and with assistance, they are faring better than most other countries.

We can't have it both ways either: if Britain were to get involved in Zimbabwe (I have no doubt that if it were a former French colony, the French would already be there as they still do today in their former African colonies) there would be such an uproar about neo-colonialism...

The fact is, Britain needs to be more involved in some of its poorer Commonwealth members, whether that be a nice idea or not. The trouble is the public and media just wouldn't tolerate it. Can you imagine what would happen to Gordon Brown's career if he even tried to do anything proactive in Zimbabwe? He wouldn't touch that country with a barge-pole. In today's United Kingdom, it's political suicide to get involved in a former colony, whereas in other former colonial powers, it's perfectly acceptable.
Reply 48
HESA
i would have been happy if england took over the whole world TBH, england is better than israel, america, germany, and russia.

What are you basing this on? r is it just patriotism? :s-smilie:
Reply 49
numb3rb0y
Well, there's no doubt that the British Empire does share some of the blame for their current situation, but that doesn't change the fact that the average man on the street in, say, the Sudan, would be much more content under modern British rule than he is right now.

Yep, with free housing and benefits given to him by the government, not to mention the healthcare. Another debate for another thread though.
Reply 50
China shall rule, buy chopsticks, learn chinese, colour your hair black, THEY WILL RULE US!!

:biggrin:
Reply 51
The world owes us, do we all agree on this?
The british empire? pah, you can keep it!

It's definitely not PC to say that the Empire based on racist notions.

In today's United Kingdom, it's political suicide to get involved in a former colony, whereas in other former colonial powers, it's perfectly acceptable.

This didn't stop Blair ordering troops in Sierra Leone a few years ago. And obviously, Sierra Leone was a British colony.
THIS man is to blame for the current situation in Zimbabwe:
Reply 54
Looking at the map, why didn't we conquer anywhere that was near to us? Seems like a more sensible place to start out...
Reply 55
SamTheMan
The fact is, Britain needs to be more involved in some of its poorer Commonwealth members, whether that be a nice idea or not. The trouble is the public and media just wouldn't tolerate it. Can you imagine what would happen to Gordon Brown's career if he even tried to do anything proactive in Zimbabwe? He wouldn't touch that country with a barge-pole. In today's United Kingdom, it's political suicide to get involved in a former colony, whereas in other former colonial powers, it's perfectly acceptable.

Zimbabwe wouldn't have anything we sent them anyway. They blame their current epidemic on "the white suppressor".
Reply 56
Bobifier
Looking at the map, why didn't we conquer anywhere that was near to us? Seems like a more sensible place to start out...

Because that would have been too hard. Pick on the small, undeveloped countries, then when you own them you have more resources to pick on the bigger, more developed ones.
Reply 57
Bobifier

We had boats. Conquering closer to home would probably have been too dangerous.
North Borneo Chartered Company 1882-1946 RIP
Kingdom of Sarawak 1842-1946 RIP

Exploited more in fifty years by Kualal Lumpur than one hundred by London.
Bagration
THIS man is to blame for the current situation in Zimbabwe:

No, this man. Harold Wilson refused to grant independence to Zimbabwe for fear of whites ruling the country unfairly well what did they do? They went ahead and declared independence :

Latest

Trending

Trending