The Student Room Group

Third Class Degree from Oxford University?

I'm confused. My life was going soooo well, and then I left the safety of Gloucestershire to go to Oxford University... Now what?

I'm quite clever, (10 A* GCSEs, 6 A for A-Level etc.), but I'm really struggling with my Mathematical Sciences degree at Trinity College Oxford. Even if I put lots of effort in, I expect I won't get better than a third. I realise that it's not the end the end of the world in that no-one's going to shoot me, but it's disheartening to think that I have no prospect whatsoever of getting any job or onto any postgrad course. Am I really this worthless and unemployable? Don't bother replying to say, "ha ha ha you're completely screwed!", I know that already, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience, or just anyone's constructive thoughts.

I don't want to sound like the spoiled bratt that I in fact am; I know that much worse things have happened to people than going to uni and getting a third. I'm just finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that my career options consist of manual labourer or binman rather than management consultant or banker. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to work for KPMG even if they were glazed in honey, but it seems so unfair that any pathway to success seems to be blocked by the crushing stigma of this stupid degree, even though I dare venture that I am at least as talented as Joe Bloggs with a 2.1 in media studies from XYformer polytechnic. [No offence intended.]

If you're thinking of going to university, note that only degree class seems to matter to the obtuse set of people who unfortunately for me call themselves employers. Do an easy degree at an average university, have a little bit of fun whilst you're at it, romp home to your 2.1, and then you can get on with a successful life whilst I empty the wheelie bins at the bottom of your driveway on thursday mornings. Otherwise you might end up like me toiling all night and all day with an impenetrable subject, only to be dumped onto life's shit-heap at the end, regardless of what real talent you may possess.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reallly feel for you after having read your post. Although I would never encourage anyone to aim low. Actually, let me rephrase, I would never encourage anyone to aim for anything other than the best they were capable of. So, I suppose, somwhere down the line you must decide on what you are/are not capable of. It seems rather straightforward, naturally it's not.

As you know it's a very difficult world without at least an upper second. Whether you've attended a former poly (word of advice, never name one by way of example, for obvious reasons) or Oxford, you really do need a 2:1. However, if that's not what happens, then you must of course attempt to find alternatives.

I am not sure as to what exactly. I must say, even if you have a remote chance of getting to a lower second, that would substantially improve your prospects. I think there's a fair bit you can still do. Of course you are automatically excluded from law/finance/Banking etc., however there's a fair bit outside of that. Think you may need to look at something for which there is considerable demand. Possibly teaching, or something of the like. Also, your good pre university record will help you.

Best of Luck.
If You Got 10 A Stars and 6 Grade A's at A-Level, then i dont understand how a person who goes into one of the best university's in the world, cant get a first class degree. it beggers belief. if a guy of your intelligence cant get a fisrt class degree, then nobody can. you must be joking man, coz a person of your intelligence at oxford, with hard work, should get a fist class degree.
Reply 3
Well I think you're lucky to be at Oxford, and maybe instaed of wasting time moaning you could be working hard so you have nothing to moan about.
It's good that you aimed as high as Oxford though. I believe that you should aim high, so that even if you're disappointed you will go far. An example if I may.
A few seasons ago Bolton Wanderers set their target in Division 1 at 96 points, believing this was sufficient for promotion to the Premiership. It was an ambitious target, so much so that they failed to reach it. But their point score was enough for automatic promotion.
The next season their target to avoid relegation was 40 points, a not very ambitious target. They acheived 42 points, and got relegated. Shame!
Point being if you aim high you should work hard and smart to meet your aim and you will most likely make it. Aim for a first class, and the best you can get is a first. If not, it's likely that you will fall short, i.e. a 2:1. That's good enough for you, no?
Reply 4
Unregistered
If You Got 10 A Stars and 6 Grade A's at A-Level, then i dont understand how a person who goes into one of the best university's in the world, cant get a first class degree. it beggers belief. if a guy of your intelligence cant get a fisrt class degree, then nobody can. you must be joking man, coz a person of your intelligence at oxford, with hard work, should get a fist class degree.

Sometimes there are far too many people on this site who just feel the need to speak their mind, however know absolutely nothing about what they're talking about.
Reply 5
J.S.
Sometimes there are far too many people on this site who just feel the need to speak their mind, however know absolutely nothing about what they're talking about.

Sad really.
Reply 6
DamianHolt
I'm confused. My life was going soooo well, and then I left the safety of Gloucestershire to go to Oxford University... Now what?

I'm quite clever, (10 A* GCSEs, 6 A for A-Level, multi-lingual, multi-instrumental), but I'm really struggling with my Mathematical Sciences degree at Trinity College Oxford. Even if I put lots of effort in, I expect I won't get better than a third. I realise that it's not the end the end of the world in that no-one's going to shoot me, but it's disheartening to think that I have no prospect whatsoever of getting any job or onto any postgrad course. Am I really this worthless and unemployable? Don't bother replying to say, "ha ha ha you're completely screwed!", I know that already, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience, or just anyone's constructive thoughts.

I don't want to sound like the spoiled bratt that I in fact am; I know that much worse things have happened to people than going to uni and getting a third. I'm just finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that my career options consist of manual labourer or binman rather than management consultant or banker. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to work for KPMG even if they were glazed in honey, but it seems so unfair that any pathway to success seems to be blocked by the crushing stigma of this stupid degree, even though I dare venture that I am at least as talented as Joe Bloggs with a 2.1 in media studies from Sheffield Hallam former polytechnic. [No offence intended.]

If you're thinking of going to university, note that only degree class seems to matter to the obtuse set of people who unfortunately for me call themselves employers. Do an easy degree at an average university, have a little bit of fun whilst you're at it, romp home to your 2.1, and then you can get on with a successful life whilst I empty the wheelie bins at the bottom of your driveway on thursday mornings. Otherwise you might end up like me toiling all night and all day with an impenetrable subject, only to be dumped onto life's shit-heap at the end, regardless of what real talent you may possess.

You sound like you have given up already. To be honest, I dont think you are cut out for that degree, Maths requires patience, perseverence and diligence, qualities which sound like they are absent from you. Sorry to sound harsh, but thats what I think.
Reply 7
Bhaal85
You sound like you have given up already. To be honest, I dont think you are cut out for that degree, Maths requires patience, perseverence and diligence, qualities which sound like they are absent from you. Sorry to sound harsh, but thats what I think.

Someone's got the claws out!
Reply 8
ZJuwelH
Someone's got the claws out!

Well at least I'm being honest, and not saying 'you have the potential, you just gotta work at it' or any other type of bulls***.
Reply 9
Bhaal85

I think you should reserve judgement on people until you've gotten to know them. Usually works well.
Reply 10
Bhaal85
Well at least I'm being honest, and not saying 'you have the potential, you just gotta work at it' or any other type of bulls***.

Dude Oxford obviously thought he had the potential. Trouble is he will flop because he's wasting time moping instead of practising and asking people for help etc.
Reply 11
I think the trouble with Oxford/Cambridge and the like, is every single student there has 10 A*'s and 6A's and every single student is expecting a 1st or 2:1, what people don't seem to realise when they apply to institutions like that is that some people have to come away with a 3rd, they just don't expect it to be them.

I'm having a similar problem with jobs, I got 26 UCAS points from 4 A levels (old system), including a B in General Studies, and I only got into Leeds on my General Studies mark. I'm on course for a 2:1, but most the employers and graduate training schemes I'm looking at are asking for a 2:1 and at least 24 UCAS points, not including General Studies, where as I only have 18 points. I'm now worried my employment prospects will be limited because I messed up on french A level, which will probably be of little use to me in a financial job.
Reply 12
Pencil Queen
TBH I discounted graduate recruitment schemes based on UCAS points (I got 18 + an A in GS)...along with the fact that I wasn't willing to up sticks to whereever a company sent me I decided it wasn't worth my time applying to companies who valued someone with BCC and a low 2i over me with my BCD and a high 2i.

However have you looked into the civil service fast stream - huge range of jobs and they couldn't care less what your A levels were and you can enter the first phase with a 2ii. There are aptitude tests to get to the next stage - they value skills not measured by degrees and A levels.

Thanks, I'll try that. It'll be worth looking into more options, theres just too much choice. I wish someone would just give me a job, or alternatively let me win the lottery so I don't have to worry about it just yet!
Reply 13
Pencil Queen
TBH I discounted graduate recruitment schemes based on UCAS points (I got 18 + an A in GS)...along with the fact that I wasn't willing to up sticks to whereever a company sent me I decided it wasn't worth my time applying to companies who valued someone with BCC and a low 2i over me with my BCD and a high 2i.

However have you looked into the civil service fast stream - huge range of jobs and they couldn't care less what your A levels were and you can enter the first phase with a 2ii. There are aptitude tests to get to the next stage - they value skills not measured by degrees and A levels.

I see what you're saying. Although, I disagree with the latter paragraph. The competitive firms that demand no less than x number of points at A level are not stupid or narrow minded. This was a question I asked a friend of mine, who works in HR. His reply " yes yes, we understand that there are very many exceptional students with lower A level grades than what we look for. However, you have to work on the law of averages when you get some several thousand applications for a handful of places". Absolutely correct. You're wrong in implying that they do NOT value skills that are not measured by degree/A level. They do indeed, it's just that they can afford to have it all basically, i.e. those skils and A level/degree.

J.S.
Reply 14
Don't give up hope yet, you've only just got there!!! I'm struggling with my course at what you might call an 'average university' (UEA), but I haven't given up. Does your first year count towards your degree? Probably not, so you still have time to get yourself sorted. You have to be prepared to work at it - you must know what hard work is because of your grades at GCSE and A-Level - you can't have got them by sitting around and moaning for 2 years. I'm not as naturally clever as you, though all my GCSE's were grade C and above (including some A's and A*'s), my A-Levels were passes (though not good ones) but I am going to give it my best shot. I didn't understand most of my A_level course, which is hampering my degree level effort, but I hope I will get there. You must have a tutor, or somebody who has been assigned to help you, to turn to and ask - I know I can go to my advisor any time I need help. Even try asking people in second and third years - you're at Oxford so you must have 'parents' who can give you advice. You aren't alone!!!
Reply 15
Chicken
Don't give up hope yet, you've only just got there!!! I'm struggling with my course at what you might call an 'average university' (UEA), but I haven't given up. Does your first year count towards your degree? Probably not, so you still have time to get yourself sorted. You have to be prepared to work at it - you must know what hard work is because of your grades at GCSE and A-Level - you can't have got them by sitting around and moaning for 2 years. I'm not as naturally clever as you, though all my GCSE's were grade C and above (including some A's and A*'s), my A-Levels were passes (though not good ones) but I am going to give it my best shot. I didn't understand most of my A_level course, which is hampering my degree level effort, but I hope I will get there. You must have a tutor, or somebody who has been assigned to help you, to turn to and ask - I know I can go to my advisor any time I need help. Even try asking people in second and third years - you're at Oxford so you must have 'parents' who can give you advice. You aren't alone!!!

some good advice there.
loads of people who've just started at Oxbridge feel it's suddenly hard to keep up especially when there are confident bullshitters trying to sound more intelligent than they are.

Firstly, you can't tell what degree you're likely to get this early on. You've just had your confidence shaken as many others have here (Cambridge.)

Secondly, contrary to what others here have said you don't need a 2:1 to get anywhere, that's rediculous. a degree from oxford is worth a lot no matter what the grade.

Lighten up, stop worrying about your degree, and settle in. You'll be surprised at how many of the seeming really intelligent people flounder once the work gets serious. I'ved watched it happen here. hang in there!
DamianHolt

I'm quite clever, (10 A* GCSEs, 6 A for A-Level, multi-lingual, multi-instrumental), but I'm really struggling with my Mathematical Sciences degree at Trinity College Oxford. Even if I put lots of effort in, I expect I won't get better than a third. I realise that it's not the end the end of the world in that no-one's going to shoot me, but it's disheartening to think that I have no prospect whatsoever of getting any job or onto any postgrad course. Am I really this worthless and unemployable? Don't bother replying to say, "ha ha ha you're completely screwed!"

Oh how my heart bleeds! Which year are you in? If you have only just started then it's time to pull your thumb out of your backside and get your head down isn't it? You wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't think you had the potential to succeed, so stop whinging and crying about it and start working. The only person to blame is yourself if you don't do well enough. No offence, but what a dick! There are people starving, murdered, raped, little children dying from terminal diseases in the world and you're complaining about getting a third class degree at Oxford. I have no sympathy for you only contempt. No offence, but what a w***er.
Reply 18
Heart bleeds
Oh how my heart bleeds! Which year are you in? If you have only just started then it's time to pull your thumb out of your backside and get your head down isn't it? You wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't think you had the potential to succeed, so stop whinging and crying about it and start working. The only person to blame is yourself if you don't do well enough. No offence, but what a dick! There are people starving, murdered, raped, little children dying from terminal diseases in the world and you're complaining about getting a third class degree at Oxford. I have no sympathy for you only contempt. No offence, but what a w***er.

caalm down, caalm down
*in a scouser accent*
Unregistered

But pretty much everyone here has loads of grade As.

I know exactly what the original poster means - the sheer volume of work is just really depressing and I feel like I'm not getting everywhere. But at the end of the day I think loads pf people feel like that, and you wouldn't still be here if you were doing THAT badly.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x-x-x

Latest

Trending

Trending