The Student Room Group

I’m realising that I don’t like my uni or my degree at all

I’m a first year law student (law with french law) at Oxford uni and I’m slowly realising that I don’t like my degree or my uni at all.

I would have said that I’m “passionate” about law but I found it pretty interesting before coming to uni, now I’d be more likely to say I actively dislike it. I find reading the cases and articles extremely boring and I struggle to get past the facts. I usually just end up using one of those summary websites like lawprof or lawteacheronline. I also couldn’t imagine myself in any legal profession and don’t think I’d be good at them. I’m not a good public speaker, I’m quite shy/socially anxious and I really don’t do well in debate type situations. I also find the research aspect far too boring to be able to successfully do it as a career.

I am also not currently doing very well with my degree. My average scores are around 62-67, which is a fairly low-mid 2:1. I had mods last term and my scores were 66,66, and 64. The only post mods assignment I’ve had back was 63. I know I’m unlikely to break that mid sixties barrier unless I put a lot more work in but I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do it more than two hour blocks as I don’t like the subject.

I know that with a low level 2:1 I won’t really be qualified for any good jobs and most good masters degrees require at least a high 2:1 so there’s not really much possibility of me furthering my studies or getting a good job. I always liked/was passionate about languages at school/college and I’m naturally good at them (far better than I am at law) but I was reluctant to study a language degree because of the career prospects but now I’m slightly realising that I’ve made a huge mistake as a first class language degree would be much better than the measly 2:1 I will have in law.

I’m also really not enjoying the general atmosphere and life of being at Oxford. I feel more like I’m at boarding school than living independently. The food is obscene (and really expensive) and the dining hall gets extremely crowded/boisterous which is not an environment I like at all. There is also a general lack of privacy with the shared bathroom (which gets extremely filthy) and the fact people can hear every word of my phone conversations when I’m in my room. I also do not have any friends or a social life so my life is generally just study, go back to my room and watch tv for a few hours then go to bed.

The teaching system here is also not ideal for me, being quite socially anxious I find it difficult to speak up in tutorials and that has attracted quite harsh criticism particularly from one tutor I had last term. The harsh criticism then further knocks my confidence and I end up doing even worse which then means I get harsher criticism.

Sorry for the long rant but I’m not sure what to do about the massive mistake I’ve made coming here. Am I just doomed to get a low 2:1, not be qualified for anything and end up doing low paid jobs that I hate my whole life?

TLDR: I’m an Oxford law student and I hate being here. I’m not good at law, I’m not doing well, and I find it boring. Oxford’s teaching system/way of life also doesn’t suit me. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Username123ab
I’m a first year law student (law with french law) at Oxford uni and I’m slowly realising that I don’t like my degree or my uni at all.

I would have said that I’m “passionate” about law but I found it pretty interesting before coming to uni, now I’d be more likely to say I actively dislike it. I find reading the cases and articles extremely boring and I struggle to get past the facts. I usually just end up using one of those summary websites like lawprof or lawteacheronline. I also couldn’t imagine myself in any legal profession and don’t think I’d be good at them. I’m not a good public speaker, I’m quite shy/socially anxious and I really don’t do well in debate type situations. I also find the research aspect far too boring to be able to successfully do it as a career.

I am also not currently doing very well with my degree. My average scores are around 62-67, which is a fairly low-mid 2:1. I had mods last term and my scores were 66,66, and 64. The only post mods assignment I’ve had back was 63. I know I’m unlikely to break that mid sixties barrier unless I put a lot more work in but I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do it more than two hour blocks as I don’t like the subject.

I know that with a low level 2:1 I won’t really be qualified for any good jobs and most good masters degrees require at least a high 2:1 so there’s not really much possibility of me furthering my studies or getting a good job. I always liked/was passionate about languages at school/college and I’m naturally good at them (far better than I am at law) but I was reluctant to study a language degree because of the career prospects but now I’m slightly realising that I’ve made a huge mistake as a first class language degree would be much better than the measly 2:1 I will have in law.

I’m also really not enjoying the general atmosphere and life of being at Oxford. I feel more like I’m at boarding school than living independently. The food is obscene (and really expensive) and the dining hall gets extremely crowded/boisterous which is not an environment I like at all. There is also a general lack of privacy with the shared bathroom (which gets extremely filthy) and the fact people can hear every word of my phone conversations when I’m in my room. I also do not have any friends or a social life so my life is generally just study, go back to my room and watch tv for a few hours then go to bed.

The teaching system here is also not ideal for me, being quite socially anxious I find it difficult to speak up in tutorials and that has attracted quite harsh criticism particularly from one tutor I had last term. The harsh criticism then further knocks my confidence and I end up doing even worse which then means I get harsher criticism.

Sorry for the long rant but I’m not sure what to do about the massive mistake I’ve made coming here. Am I just doomed to get a low 2:1, not be qualified for anything and end up doing low paid jobs that I hate my whole life?

TLDR: I’m an Oxford law student and I hate being here. I’m not good at law, I’m not doing well, and I find it boring. Oxford’s teaching system/way of life also doesn’t suit me. What should I do?

Would you consider changing your uni and/or your degree?
Reply 2

I am also not currently doing very well with my degree. My average scores are around 62-67, which is a fairly low-mid 2:1. I had mods last term and my scores were 66,66, and 64.
The only post mods assignment I’ve had back was 63. I know I’m unlikely to break that mid sixties barrier unless I put a lot more work in but I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do it more than two hour blocks as I don’t like the subject.

You're in your *first* year. Plenty of people at Oxbridge struggle in their first year, but your results are actually really good and I can't see how you wouldn't improve before your finals in two years. A first is a pretty realistic outcome as everyone generally performs at a far higher level in finals than in prelims and you're already getting scores like 67. Stop being so hard on yourself in this respect. I'd imagine everyone is performing at a similar, or lower, standard to you in your cohort.

As for the other stuff, I don't have any valuable advice, but god, don't put your achievements down. Your grades are really good for first year so please get that aspect of this situation out of your head!
Reply 3
Nothing wrong with a 2:1. It depends what you want to do but it doesn't need to hinder you.

You are doing well academically, it seems to me.

Do you think things will improve there?

Do you think it is Oxford or would you find any university environment difficult?

Is it worth changing courses? Changing university?

If you dislike it that much, it is worth at least considering changing university and course, as you have a long slog ahead of you otherwise.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Just wanted to weigh in on the realities of working in law. I'm an old person who works in private practice and has worked in law firms since before you were born probably (and that pains me to say).

It depends what area you work in but you mention wanting a 'good' job, so let's assume you work in the City.

You say you're not a good public speaker and you're quite shy or socially anxious. Lots of lawyers are not good public speakers or are quite shy. Quite often, especially if you're in a huge City firm and doubly so when you're junior, you won't be speaking that much to clients, so don't worry about that. Day to day, you don't really need to do public speaking. Plenty of lawyers have bad people skills (I'm not saying you do!) - generally the smarter you are, the worse you seem to be at conducting yourself like a normal human being. It's fine. Everyone has their place. When you get to the stage of forming your own following of clients, there are different personality-types of lawyer for different personality-types of client. All I would say is don't do yourself down.

In the beginning, you'll have to get chummy with your cohort of trainees and you'll have to get to know the department you're put in. That's all you need to focus on socially. Then you may start sending emails to lawyers on the other side etc. It depends if you're doing transactional or litigation work. You'll be exposed to clients gradually and you'll learn to network gradually. I used to HATE it but now I go to events and know at least 60% of the people there. I've spoken at loads of events and things and the first time I genuinely wanted to get knocked down by a bus on the journey in but, again, just know your stuff and take some rescue remedy. Don't worry about it at this stage. You'll be fine. Just remember: all clients, opponents, people you work for etc are just people at the end of the day. They might be fire-breathing, scary-as-heck people sometimes but more often than not, they're reasonable and practical.

Next, debate situations. Again, it depends what area you go into but in reality you're very unlikely to have to do 'on the spot' debating. If you're doing dispute resolution, depending on the size of the disputed amount, you may have to have some more intense phone calls if back and forth by letter or email doesn't work but you'll still know all the facts of your matter and what your client wants etc. Bigger claims (as in..."better" jobs) will have loads of back and forth via email etc and robust letters, again, you'll know the frame work of your argument and it will move at a glacial pace. Plus, you'll have a barrister who is kick-ass. They are genuinely freaking amazing. If you're planning on being one of them, good luck. I honestly don't know how they are so whip smart, put together etc.

I'm leaving out things like family and criminal etc because....*shudders*

Finally...research. You won't have to do this forever. You'll have to do it as a trainee but honestly after that...it'll be rare that you'll have to research. You end up in the position where you know your area of law very well and you're just applying it to the facts that come in. Things that require ACTUAL law-that-you-have-to-look-up law for me, at least, in a commercial-ish transactional-ish role are not so much. Anyway...I'd just ask a trainee to do it. 😉

All this to say: you are being too hard on yourself. Don't do yourself down. You got this!
Reply 5

1. I wonder what you were thinking before you applied for the Law with French Law degree course at Oxford University?

2. What aspects of the course don’t you like? You said that you did languages at A-Level? What were your A-Level subjects and grades? Surely there is something you like about the course? I’d love to know if you’re from an international school, or Independent Sixth Form or Grammar school? Or simply a comprehensive Sixth Form? :s-smilie: Because Oxford has a lot of high achievers and you’ll find that you’re no longer the smartest student in the year group!!!

3. Oxford University has some of the best libraries in the world. So, it could not get any easier to access the best books. Not to mention, if you don’t understand something from one book, you can get access to all others. Because Oxford University is entitled by law to receive a copy of every book published in the UK. Also, your college at Oxford University must have a 24-hour Law library? Don’t you study with other friends who do Law as well? Surely, if you got help from one of your coursemates at your college, you would be happier? I wonder if you have thought about forming a study ‘group’ so you can share ideas and ease the burden on yourself in terms of workload stress from tutorial essays?

4. The mods results will be included on your Law firm applications for a mini-pupillage at a barrister’s chambers or a solicitor’s firm. You have got a mid-upper second class and will have outperformed dozens of others in your cohort for Law. How many of the 200 students studying Law got the 70s and above? Have you asked others? Also, you should be motivated by the fact, you will win prizes for high marks performances in your Finals. Surely that should motivate you?

5. Thanks for letting me know about Lawprof and Lawteacheronline as they’re very informative and great for learning Law too. Furthermore, you could always ask your friends to divide the costs between yourselves for Oxbridge Law Notes which are FIRST CLASS NOTES: https://www.oxbridgenotes.co.uk/t/law

6. An Oxford Law degree will get you ahead. Also, you don’t have to declare your overall marks achieved in your degree for a lot of roles, but where there is more competition, it is a requirement to declare all your degree paper results. But between now and the Finals, you can improve considerably. I can’t reiterate the importance of forming a study ‘group’ with either your college Law course friends or others on the Law course.

7. I wonder why you’re not enjoying your college life? Is the college a poorer one or a richer one? Oxford would feel like a boarding school, but it is only for 8 weeks, i.e. 24 weeks a year, and that’s less than half the year. So be grateful you don’t have 10 to 12-week semesters like most other universities in the country.

8. During the second year, you will get allocated rooms, and you might be lucky to get an en-suite bathroom in your accommodation.

9. Surely the food is edible? It can’t be that bad? Perhaps you could speak to the college about the food? Also, speak to the staff about the overcrowded hall? Or eat elsewhere? As there is a café or bar which also serves food or outdoor areas? You’ve said you don’t have any friends? But surely you can make friends at formal evening gown meal times? Or during tutorials with your fellow tutorial coursemates? What about making friends from the library and especially your respective college Law library which is open 24 hours a day? Perhaps joining some societies might help you broaden your horizons and make new friends? Because currently you ‘lock’ yourself in your room and watch TV and study only. It is not a life, and you have no balance either currently, no wonder you’re depressed. Clearly, you’re more than academically able and intelligent enough to cope with the demands of the course.

10. Please, have the sense and courage to speak out loudly, especially since the tutorials reflect your thinking skills. You really need to perfect the art of speaking and persuasion. Practice talking aloud in your room whilst alone or in front of the mirror too. It will build your confidence immensely.

11. The tutorials are designed to ‘stretch’ and ‘challenge’ you, so harsh criticism is to be expected by your tutor for some courses.

12. It will get better in the third year, as you will go to Paris, France, to learn French Law at Panthéon-Assas University and meet hundreds of other students from all over the world. Also, there will be no Oxford University style tutorials until you return in your final year at Oxford University.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris-Panthéon-Assas_University

13. Where else did you apply for Law last year? If you decide to re-apply it will not be fun at all. There is no denying you have the A-Level grades and can manage a high LNAT score and essay again but you won’t be happy as there will be so much reading and independent study at LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL, SOAS, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow and many other Law degrees across the UK.

14. Perhaps you will find other Law papers much more rewarding and ‘exciting’ to study:

Administrative Law
Contract Law
European Union Law
Jurisprudence (this may be a boring paper but is optional at Cambridge)
Land Law
Tort Law
Trusts Law

15. You will have a choice of 2 optional papers from your own choice and will absolutely love it:
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/options-page/ba-jurisprudence-options
Reply 6

as someone who's a third year (so yeah im done now more or less) congrats on doing so well during mods! i barely scrapped a 2.1 during mine so you're already doing much better than me ahaha. and the fact that you havent gotten any 2.2s yet is great as well! the thing is you're just in first year and it makes sense that you need time to get used to the new environment and learning/teaching style. I don't think you should be too harsh on yourself and the fact is you have tons of time if you want to improve and get a first at the end so honestly don't worry about it too much! i think the bigger problem is hating the uni and the course tbh... i also despised the subject but i think you should think really seriously about whether this is something you can put up with. Maybe talk to the college staff, they should be really helpful and supportive no matter what choice u make in the end. maybe you can think about rusticating as well for a change of pace. anyway wishing you all the best! praying for u but im sure youll be fine! at least better than me lol an absolute flop
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending