The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insignificant
Hey everyone :smile: going to join this thread! Hope your all okay .

Shaytards! :biggrin:

Original post by marille
Things not to do your first time at a new Bible study: question whether the historicity of Jesus' resurrection and ascension is really important. :awesome:

(Not that I even think that, anyway - I was just presenting a different opinion...)

:awesome:
Original post by + polarity -
:nothing:

polarityyyyyyy! You're up for member of the year :h: I had a hard time choosing who to vote for in that cos it was stuck btween you, A_master, and Crazzyyyy Paving!

How's uni? you back in bris now? tallllllkk to meeeee
Original post by marille
Things not to do your first time at a new Bible study: question whether the historicity of Jesus' resurrection and ascension is really important. :awesome:

(Not that I even think that, anyway - I was just presenting a different opinion...)

lol! I was talking to quite an old friend yest, and he told me after the first time we met, he thought I hated him! awh! haha apparently I give off this impression!

here's a question for you; stance on drinking as a Christian. she asks with a hangover, lol
Original post by rainbowbex

polarityyyyyyy! You're up for member of the year :h: I had a hard time choosing who to vote for in that cos it was stuck btween you, A_master, and Crazzyyyy Paving!

:colone:

Yeah, my dad dropped me off on Monday morning lol. This week has been gruelling so far, and will continue to be so until Monday, when I finish this assignment (this morning) and this project, but then I'll have other projects and problem sheets to be getting on with, but I'll give myself a couple of days off. :colonhash:

I've just rolled out of bed so I'm not fully awake yet, and I got some crazy migraines the first couple of days of term, so my first proper day was yesterday. :borat:

How are you? Did you had exams? :broken:
(edited 12 years ago)

How's uni? you back in bris now? tallllllkk to meeeee

lol! I was talking to quite an old friend yest, and he told me after the first time we met, he thought I hated him! awh! haha apparently I give off this impression!

here's a question for you; stance on drinking as a Christian. she asks with a hangover, lol

Drinking in moderation is fine. Drinking excessively is not, especially if you are drinking in order to get drunk.

"And do not bedrunkwith wine which is dissipation but be filled with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18)

Sorry if I interfered. :colondollar:
Original post by Tzarchasm

Original post by Tzarchasm
Drinking in moderation is fine. Drinking excessively is not, especially if you are drinking in order to get drunk.

Sorry if I interfered. :colondollar:

the deed's been done mate :rofl:
Reply 2445

Meh, so long as you can generally behave yourself (both in terms of your actions whilst drunk and the amount of crap you're pouring through your liver) I don't think it matters that much. :p:

EDIT (for the sake of transparency): she says looking at an empty vodka bottle under the desk...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by marille
Meh, so long as you can generally behave yourself (both in terms of your actions whilst drunk and the amount of crap you're pouring through your liver) I don't think it matters that much. :p:

EDIT (for the sake of transparency): she says looking at an empty vodka bottle under the desk...

Following on from this... I have a question to you fellow christians :smile: Do you ever feel guilty drinking? Personally, I feel that it's wrong to drink, as you shouldn't have to use a drug to induce happiness, and it inhibits you and I like to be in control. I don't mind drinking, on the principle of say wine tasting, so it's appreciating the taste rather than the effects it has.

Not drinking has led to many people looking at me like I am mad, and is one of the reasons I haven't really got on with many people. But when I transfer Uni, I'm going to join the Christian society and hopefully have a chance of finding more like minded people.

This is not a dig at anyone by the way! Just my own personal belief.
i think its a hard one because everyones tolerance to alcohol is different. two drinks could get me drunk whereas for someone else it could be about 5...and how you define drunk is also an issue

You don't have to drink to have a good time, the best times i have had i have been completely sober lol..I think i am blessed in the way that even though the majority of my friends are christian they still respect my beliefs and thigngs

personally i prefer not to drink at all :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Following on from this... I have a question to you fellow christians :smile: Do you ever feel guilty drinking? Personally, I feel that it's wrong to drink, as you shouldn't have to use a drug to induce happiness, and it inhibits you and I like to be in control. I don't mind drinking, on the principle of say wine tasting, so it's appreciating the taste rather than the effects it has.

Not drinking has led to many people looking at me like I am mad, and is one of the reasons I haven't really got on with many people. But when I transfer Uni, I'm going to join the Christian society and hopefully have a chance of finding more like minded people.

Don't worry, I get the same. There are a few other non-drinkers around at uni. :smile:

RE: the general conversation, I'm a bit of a puritan. Take from that what you will...
why are ya transferrin'?

oh yh I'm effectively tee-total

alcohol tastes nasty
Original post by JO Medic
I understand what you are trying to say but surely you must know that when Parables were being used in the bible they were actually called parables, in Genesis 1 it does not state that "This is the parable of Creation" or does it? Throughout the bible God makes it clear which scriptures are metaphors and literal, just because our minds cannot fathom how God created the world does not mean he didnt do it exactly as he said he did. This is the problem man has always had with God, we try to use our own logic and common knowlegde to justify what we do not completely grasp... but guys this is why we are not God and God is not man, he does not have a brain to think in human form and logic, we do not have his sovereignhy and power to do things the way he does things, but he gives us his word so we wont completely be in the dark about who he is. Remember scripture says the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God 1 Chorinthian 3:19. And yes, God is a Mystery and thats how it should be otherwise we as humans could undermine him... put him in a box so to speak... God bless you guys

They were usually called parables, yes. But not always. And there are certainly plenty of other passages which speak metaphorically without it saying so (e.g. trees clapping their hands). I wouldn't say we couldn't understand young earth creationism; I think we can understand it fine. The question is whether we are compelled to do so by taking the Bible seriously. I don't think we are, as there are plenty of indications, for me personally, that the start of Genesis was not meant to be taken literally (e.g. if it were really normal days, and we measure our normal days by the sun [they certainly did then], then how would they have the first couple without a sun?). God bless you too :smile:
why are ya transferrin'?

alcohol tastes nasty

Because I'm not very well, and my family are long term ill, I'd rather be nearer my family, than be worrying away at Uni, and coming home all the time anyway. :smile:
Reply 2452

There are plenty of people at uni who don't drink, religious or not. : ) There is bound to be a subset of people at any uni who frequently drink to excess, but despite what I wrote in my last post I don't actually drink more than a few units all that often, and that's the same as most of my Christian and non-Christian friends.

And I definitely agree that if you rely on it to be happy, that's a problem! It can just be fun sometimes, in the right context, and it doesn't need to get out of hand.
Can I join, please? :-)
why are ya transferrin'?

alcohol tastes nasty

good call
Because I'm not very well, and my family are long term ill, I'd rather be nearer my family, than be worrying away at Uni, and coming home all the time anyway. :smile:

:idea:

Original post by Gemma :)!
Can I join, please? :-)

:yes:

Original post by Calumcalum
good call

:five:
Original post by Calumcalum
Don't worry, I get the same. There are a few other non-drinkers around at uni. :smile:

RE: the general conversation, I'm a bit of a puritan. Take from that what you will...

Original post by marille
There are plenty of people at uni who don't drink, religious or not. : ) There is bound to be a subset of people at any uni who frequently drink to excess, but despite what I wrote in my last post I don't actually drink more than a few units all that often, and that's the same as most of my Christian and non-Christian friends.

And I definitely agree that if you rely on it to be happy, that's a problem! It can just be fun sometimes, in the right context, and it doesn't need to get out of hand.

:smile:
I know I'm posting a lot in this thread.. But I really need advice on what is the Christian thing to do in this situation. So my grandma was a catholic, quite religious. She was really close with me and my mum we did everything as a three together. She got diagnosed with terminal cancer and had a long arduous death in which we visited her and cared for her at every opportunity we could, twice a day. When she died, my granddad basically saw it as a get out clause, he gave everything of hers away, packed up shop an left to a new place whilst renting the house. Before my grandma died e was horrible to her, he worked full time leaving her alone despite him supposed to have retired. He sold a business and had 5 pensions, set for life. He refused to take her anywhere or go on holiday. Made her life hell. Now she's gone, he's going on holidays left right and centre galacabting everywhere. Worst thing is, is that he's started seeing someone else already. He doesn't care that we are all still grieving heavily and hurt everyday and night. I will never forget what the priest said to me in Ireland, that she will always be with me, guiding me . It hurts so much that he's got no heart and has moved on. My family in Ireland have told him he's not welcome there anymore, my auntie has too, but my mum is too soft and won't tell him and so he still comes over everyday talking about himself nonstop to my dad. It's stressing my dad out, his epilepsy is worse because of it, and my mum has just found a lump in her breast and is stressed over that. Do I tell him to basically stay away and that we don't need any stress? Or do I let this carry on...

Do I tell him to basically stay away and that we don't need any stress?

Definitely!

I know I'm posting a lot in this thread.. But I really need advice on what is the Christian thing to do in this situation. So my grandma was a catholic, quite religious. She was really close with me and my mum we did everything as a three together. She got diagnosed with terminal cancer and had a long arduous death in which we visited her and cared for her at every opportunity we could, twice a day. When she died, my granddad basically saw it as a get out clause, he gave everything of hers away, packed up shop an left to a new place whilst renting the house. Before my grandma died e was horrible to her, he worked full time leaving her alone despite him supposed to have retired. He sold a business and had 5 pensions, set for life. He refused to take her anywhere or go on holiday. Made her life hell. Now she's gone, he's going on holidays left right and centre galacabting everywhere. Worst thing is, is that he's started seeing someone else already. He doesn't care that we are all still grieving heavily and hurt everyday and night. I will never forget what the priest said to me in Ireland, that she will always be with me, guiding me . It hurts so much that he's got no heart and has moved on. My family in Ireland have told him he's not welcome there anymore, my auntie has too, but my mum is too soft and won't tell him and so he still comes over everyday talking about himself nonstop to my dad. It's stressing my dad out, his epilepsy is worse because of it, and my mum has just found a lump in her breast and is stressed over that. Do I tell him to basically stay away and that we don't need any stress? Or do I let this carry on...

Hmmm that sounds very serious. I feel for you, you have my condolences :redface: I think from your situation, stress and grief (if that is all he brings) should be kept away, it can serve to weaken a family. So perhaps keeping a distance is recommended. However I think it is important to keep in mind that scripture tells us to be mindful of our elders, your grandfather is the reason your parents are here and thus the reason you are here. I think perhaps if he is disrupting your family, a distance would be good, however it shouldn't become a hate because that is a powerful and unpleasant emotion. Perhaps the best thing is to stay away however I think he is still your grandfather. We are told to love as Christians not hate or exile others. :redface:

But perhaps I don't fully understand your situation, so I cannot speak entirely in confidence. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending