The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LauraS
Thanks folks :smile:
Sounds like CU stuff can get a lil' political, sure I'll get my head round it all when I'm there tho - seems like ages away. Scary reading list arrived, which may make the time pass faster, or may put me off turning up at all!

Politics will worm its way in everywhere.
Do turn up! Or else how would you sample all these delightful churches?
Reply 141
Does anyone here have any advice on how to choose a church at uni?

Since I only have a sample size of one at the moment, I'm not really sure how churches differ.
My bro recommended a church (which I attend now) and his college chapel, while others recommended another church nearby, so I ended up spending exactly one month sampling around 12 churches in this city (basically going to one each every Sunday morning and evening), and finally realised that I could see myself merging into the church I am now at, as I could emphatise with the general teachings, worship and could help in various events too.
Now everyone has their own unique way of worship, their own degree of faith, beliefs/theology which they hold important, their approach to worship etc, and I feel that there would be that one church which you can consider as home as it aligns with your beliefs.
I guess you are heading to Manchester- I have a friend with some machester connections, and I could ask him what he recommends (i.e, when I get hold of him).
Reply 143
fleur-de-lis
My bro recommended a church (which I attend now) and his college chapel, while others recommended another church nearby, so I ended up spending exactly one month sampling around 12 churches in this city (basically going to one each every Sunday morning and evening), and finally realised that I could see myself merging into the church I am now at, as I could emphatise with the general teachings, worship and could help in various events too.
Now everyone has their own unique way of worship, their own degree of faith, beliefs/theology which they hold important, their approach to worship etc, and I feel that there would be that one church which you can consider as home as it aligns with your beliefs.
I guess you are heading to Manchester- I have a friend with some machester connections, and I could ask him what he recommends (i.e, when I get hold of him).

Thanks.

I'm C of E, but I don't know whether it would be a good idea to stick with that, or branch out a bit...?

I mildly disagree with the way the C of E is organised, and some of the stuff it does, but I really appreciate the breadth of opinions it attracts - you can easily have a good debate (so long as you don't actually start heckling the speaker during the service :biggrin:)
Princess Ana
Thanks.

I'm C of E, but I don't know whether it would be a good idea to stick with that, or branch out a bit...?

I mildly disagree with the way the C of E is organised, and some of the stuff it does, but I really appreciate the breadth of opinions it attracts - you can easily have a good debate (so long as you don't actually start heckling the speaker during the service :biggrin:)

You could sample the other churches. I'll anyway ask my friend esp as you are in CofE- his grandpa was the Bishop there. Would you prefer to be in a more evangelical one or more high church type- or just the normal one?
Reply 145
Evangelical, defo :smile:

Re your friend - that would be great, if you could :smile:
Reply 146
If it's Manchester you're coming to...
Firstly, good choice (not that I'm biased...) Manchester is a top city and I'm sure you'll have a fab three years.
In terms of churches, a few ideas include:
Holy Trinity Platt- a C of E church in Rusholme, lots of lovely people, fairly traditional, but not stuffy
Emmanuel- a C of E in Didsbury (Barlow Moor Rd to be specific!) (South of city centre, but easy bus journey/walk from where you will probs be living) fairly laid back style, lts of families
Ivy Cottage (yay, home!!)- Evangelical church nearly opposite the above, large number of students, very laid back, lively and non-traditional (every wall is a different colour, but you get used to it) www.ivycottage.org (again, not being biased, it is simply the only church whose website I know)
Kings Church - city centre, large and popular with students, don't know too much about it apart from they give out packets of fair trade hot chocolate to clubbers going home in the early hours sometimes (although they took mine back when they found out I was a Christian!)
Clearly there are lots lots more, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere you feel at home. :smile:
LauraS

Ivy Cottage (yay, home!!)- Evangelical church nearly opposite the above, large number of students, very laid back, lively and non-traditional (every wall is a different colour, but you get used to it) www.ivycottage.org (again, not being biased, it is simply the only church whose website I know)
Kings Church - city centre, large and popular with students, don't know too much about it apart from they give out packets of fair trade hot chocolate to clubbers going home in the early hours sometimes (although they took mine back when they found out I was a Christian!)
Clearly there are lots lots more, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere you feel at home. :smile:

Yay! I needn't hunt for my friend after the service! Thanks, Laura!
Is your church the happy-clappy evangelical (can't think of any other word- maybe soul survivor evangelical) or is it a slightly more reserved kind?
Lol at the hot chocolate incident- but it's great that they are doing it.
Reply 148
It isn't technically an 'Evangelical church', it's kinda non-demoninational, that's just the easiest description to use. In many ways it is like a Baptist church (infant dedication, adult baptism), and I guess is a lot closer to 'happy clappy' than 'smells and bells'(just as well, 'smaells' part sets off my astha :smile:)!!! Worship led by an (often loud) band, pastor wears casual clothes, no litergy apart from occassional Psalm reading etc, that kinda set up.
sounds quite like my church, then :p: (especially the loud band part) :p:
Did anyone go / going to soul survivor / new wine / greenbelt / springharvest / anything else this year?

I went to New wine and had an amazing week working with 5 year olds - we had a theme - mini heroes for God!
historyhoney, so your siggy is the Tim Hughes song! :biggrin:
Plenty of people from my church went for these events- you might have come across them, incl Martyn Layzell :biggrin:
fleur-de-lis
historyhoney, so your siggy is the Tim Hughes song! :biggrin:
Plenty of people from my church went for these events- you might have come across them, incl Martyn Layzell :biggrin:

EDIT: cool! wow you must go to a cool church! I normally go to soul survior but missed it this year :frown: (I went to new wine)
I heard that New Wine was quite blessed this year. I am quite tempted to start a Soul Survivor Soc, but that might end up attracting negative attention :frown:
Did you go for Soul Survivor events?
fleur-de-lis
I heard that New Wine was quite blessed this year. I am quite tempted to start a Soul Survivor Soc, but that might end up attracting negative attention :frown:
Did you go for Soul Survivor events?

sorry I got the last post wrong - I went to new wine B this year and missed soul survior! I have gone to soul survivor for the last 4 years (excluding this) and new wine since I was 2 and a half
historyhoney
sorry I got the last post wrong - I went to new wine B this year and missed soul survior! I have gone to soul survivor for the last 4 years (excluding this) and new wine since I was 2 and a half

wow! 2 ½! That's so great. Btw, Martyn is currently the worship leader at our church... so that would explain why I mentioned him above. We also have Gordon Hickson from Watford (might be a familiar name?).
Reply 156
I'm a Christiana and recently got confirmed:girl:
Congrats on your confirmation, yo-less!
!yay!
Reply 159
fleur-de-lis
Is your church the happy-clappy evangelical (can't think of any other word- maybe soul survivor evangelical) or is it a slightly more reserved kind?

10-90 split between the two, I think. We're traditionally a "normal", reserved church, but we've taken in a lot of Chinese, most of whom are from "happy-clappy" churches back in China (really makes your hair curl to hear what some of them have been through).

I'm not really much help, but here's a few more details:

Very rarely sing traditional "A&M" type hymms - and when we do, they've got a modern feel to them

Songs are led by a band, not our dusty old organ.

We call our altar a "table" (apparently this is significant)

Anyone can lead the service

Very informal services

The majority of us don't practice infant baptism

A little clapping and lifting of arms goes on during lively songs - but not a lot.

We're about to hold a mission in the surrounding area

Latest

Trending

Trending