The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Im panicking about exams thread

I am seriously worried about not doing well in the summer exams mainly because I am finding some of the stuff really hard especially econ B and the essay based topics I got my second essays back and it seems to have not improved despite spending so much more time on it.

Who else feels the same way?
Ditto! I have like 10 exams and am stressed that I haven't done as well as I should have in January. Oh well, I suppose we can only do our best (and pull some hefty all-nighters!)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I feel the same way, no idea how I'm going to pass stats.
Reply 3
OH MY GOD STATS SOMEONE KILL ME :frown::frown: his lectures seem ALL the same, random blur of notation and summation stuff. i can barely touch his exercises!
Reply 4
Nissay
OH MY GOD STATS SOMEONE KILL ME :frown::frown: his lectures seem ALL the same, random blur of notation and summation stuff. i can barely touch his exercises!

Which stats course are you taking? Im doing ST107
Nissay

Yeah if your talking about ST102 then I think everyones thinking the same thing, and they wonder how 14.9999% of people fail!

La Esmerelda
Ditto! I have like 10 exams and am stressed that I haven't done as well as I should have in January. Oh well, I suppose we can only do our best (and pull some hefty all-nighters!)

Wow 10 exams, are you at LSE because I thought 6 was the limit.
Chrisateen
I am seriously worried about not doing well in the summer exams mainly because I am finding some of the stuff really hard especially econ B and the essay based topics I got my second essays back and it seems to have not improved despite spending so much more time on it.

Who else feels the same way?

Are you following the text books for Econ B becuase they are really good and help explain the lectures really well. When Young goes into his own world I dont think anyone understands what hes on about (i.e. that finanical exercise we did at the end of the last lecture) but hes still the best lecturer ever!
Reply 7
unsung_hero
Are you following the text books for Econ B becuase they are really good and help explain the lectures really well. When Young goes into his own world I dont think anyone understands what hes on about (i.e. that finanical exercise we did at the end of the last lecture) but hes still the best lecturer ever!

I am but seems like Im still struggling. Young is a good lecturer the problem is that he has to go so fast because there is so much stuff to get through and so when I am trying to get my head round one topic he is already about 3 or 4 topics ahead
Reply 8
The thing I find strange with EconB is that you do the quizzes etc. and they are very easy. Then you get to the problem set and are like wtf is this.
Reply 9
astudent
The thing I find strange with EconB is that you do the quizzes etc. and they are very easy. Then you get to the problem set and are like wtf is this.

At least you find the quizzes easy. I always score badly on them :frown:
Original post by astudent

Original post by unsung_hero

Could you guys please post useful notes on Econ B and ST102 including solutions to all past papers and problem sets, quizzes etc. Also, what marks did you get in these modules and what tips would you guys suggest to maximise success on these modules and the best way to revise for them etc. It would truly be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 11
Original post by #Unknown
Could you guys please post useful notes on Econ B and ST102 including solutions to all past papers and problem sets, quizzes etc. Also, what marks did you get in these modules and what tips would you guys suggest to maximise success on these modules and the best way to revise for them etc. It would truly be much appreciated. Thanks.

These posts about Econ B are outdated. The lecturer has changed and the course has become much much easier. I had never done economics before and got a first just by learning the textbook for micro and reading the lecture notes for macro. As for first year stats at LSE the lecturer, James Abdey, is amazing. he gives you all the resources you need and practically tells you what's coming up in exams. In my circle of friends the stats grades ranges between 70-90. I wouldn't worry about either of these courses.
Original post by Incompl
These posts about Econ B are outdated. The lecturer has changed and the course has become much much easier. I had never done economics before and got a first just by learning the textbook for micro and reading the lecture notes for macro. As for first year stats at LSE the lecturer, James Abdey, is amazing. he gives you all the resources you need and practically tells you what's coming up in exams. In my circle of friends the stats grades ranges between 70-90. I wouldn't worry about either of these courses.

Thanks mate for the re assurance. Btw, could I PM you a few questions?
Reply 13
Original post by #Unknown
Thanks mate for the re assurance. Btw, could I PM you a few questions?

Yh sure.
Reply 14
Original post by Incompl
Yh sure.

Hey I was wondering if you had any advice for a first year (doing management but including econ B, stats etc) like about exams, studying, work load, which books to get. Would be much appreciated thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Ryan43
Hey I was wondering if you had any advice for a first year (doing management but including econ B, stats etc) like about exams, studying, work load, which books to get. Would be much appreciated thanks :smile:

Econ B

Micro- Buy the textbook and learn it. If you've done econ at a level then it's just more of the same. If, like me, you haven't it's still pretty simple.

Macro- The lecture notes are sufficient.

All econ lectures are recorded. I didn't go to a single one; it's usually on a Friday 9-11.

In terms of workload it's quite small. It's possible to cram and pass but if you keep up with it throughout the year it'll make exam period easier, it's the same with most other first year modules. Just wait for the lectures to start, they'll tell you which books to buy, they're not really necessary or urgent.

MA107/ST107 (2 Maths Half Modules)

MA107 is dull and the lectures are not recorded. I'd recommend going even though most of the time you'll be too tired to learn anything. The lecture notes are OK and I'd also recommend buying the book the lecturer suggests; it's definitely helpful. It's a half module so lectures only last for the first term. Try and make notes and understand it; it will save you spending time trying to remember and learn it during summer term when you should be revising.

ST107 is a good module. Lectures recorded, nice/good lecturer, comprehensive lecture notes, plenty of past papers. Do NOT buy the text book for it. It's expensive and not necessary. This module starts in the second term so don't worry about it until then.

Best advice I can give for any of these modules is just to try and keep on top it, if you can't then don't fret too much. They give you plenty of time for revision. Make sure you enjoy your first year and don't spend all your time working. I have a friend doing management who did no work throughout the year and didn't really have natural smarts, but he came away with a 2:1. It's second and third year that get hard.

Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Ryan43

One more thing I forgot to mention- the lectures for your accounting half module are not recorded, make sure you go, especially if you haven't done accounting before. The content is very dry and can get quite tricky. It's a module that a lot of people get very frustrated with before exams so if you keep up with any module try make it this one.
Reply 17
Original post by Incompl
One more thing I forgot to mention- the lectures for your accounting half module are not recorded, make sure you go, especially if you haven't done accounting before. The content is very dry and can get quite tricky. It's a module that a lot of people get very frustrated with before exams so if you keep up with any module try make it this one.

Honestly you're a legend, thank you so much. I found it really hard to get good advice from anyone on here but yours was great. One least thing I was wondering if it's worth writing handwritten notes in lectures? Could I get away with focusing on the lecture and making notes from the textbooks for some modules? Oh and I think I'm doing St107 (quantitative methods) not 102 is it the same?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Ryan43
Honestly you're a legend, thank you so much. I found it really hard to get good advice from anyone on here but yours was great. One least thing I was wondering if it's worth writing handwritten notes in lectures? Could I get away with focusing on the lecture and making notes from the textbooks for some modules? Oh and I think I'm doing St107 (quantitative methods) not 102 is it the same?

Sorry, I meant ST107. They are different, same lecturer though and similar content. ST102 is harder. You usually get given a handout at the beginning of each term so I would just write notes on there. There's not enough time in the lecture to write everything down. Although there was this one law student who could type so fast he typed every word of the lecture. To answer your question, I would concentrate more on the lecture than writing my notes; the lecturer usually just reads from the handout anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Incompl
Sorry, I meant ST107. They are different, same lecturer though and similar content. ST102 is harder. You usually get given a handout at the beginning of each term so I would just write notes on there. There's not enough time in the lecture to write everything down. Although there was this one law student who could type so fast he typed every word of the lecture. To answer your question, I would concentrate more on the lecture than writing my notes; the lecturer usually just reads from the handout anyway.

That's good to hear then because I prefer writing notes later. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending