The Student Room Group

Osteopathy

ccc
Hello!
I'm also applying to do osteopathy starting this September. I've applied to all the UCAS universities except OSCOT (so, OB ESO BSO BCOM and Leeds Met). I've been to look around BSO, ESO, BCOM and OB, but wasn't too keen on OB. How about you?
It's great to speak to someone else (besides on open days) who is actually looking at studying osteopathy!
Reply 2
Hi, I have a placed at Leeds for Sept 2009 looking forward to it
Went to look around the uni and city yesterday and was impressed also met one of the course tutors who was very helpful.

Now im looking for accomadation as near to civc quarters as possible
So that makes 3 people! I guess that is the dissadvantage of BSO BCOM and ESO (dunno about OSCOT) in there being no uni owned accomodation.
Reply 4
Make that four - I should be going the ESO in sept!
Reply 5
hey i applied for BCOM, but can't seem to find anyone else who may be coming this september. so if their is anyone out there in the universe whom may be attending reply to this tread.
Wow, I thought I had considered all career options but never considered Osteopathy. Had a little look and it looks really interesting! Can any one give me any info about it?? What exactly it is etc.
Reply 7
vernier calipers
Hello!
I'm also applying to do osteopathy starting this September. I've applied to all the UCAS universities except OSCOT (so, OB ESO BSO BCOM and Leeds Met). I've been to look around BSO, ESO, BCOM and OB, but wasn't too keen on OB. How about you?
It's great to speak to someone else (besides on open days) who is actually looking at studying osteopathy!

hi there i cant tell if you went BSO or BCOM or either. i you do do yu mind telling me the typical age range on the course and is it multirace/religion/sex/sexuality etc. PLEASE HELP making uni application now!!! thanx
ruqayyah1992
hi there i cant tell if you went BSO or BCOM or either. i you do do yu mind telling me the typical age range on the course and is it multirace/religion/sex/sexuality etc. PLEASE HELP making uni application now!!! thanx

Hey i just finished at BCOM this year. the typical age range does seem to be 18yo's, but there are a fair few mature students in each class.
BCOM was DEFINITELY multirace/religion etc etc, with a very friendly, warm atmosphere. the teachers are great, but the workload is pretty huge, and the hours are long compared to some other courses out there! its a LOT of work, and you have to work hard. as well as written exams you will have regular practical assessments where you have to demonstrate the manual skills you are learning.

hope that helps.
Reply 9
CogitoErgoSum
Hey i just finished at BCOM this year. the typical age range does seem to be 18yo's, but there are a fair few mature students in each class.
BCOM was DEFINITELY multirace/religion etc etc, with a very friendly, warm atmosphere. the teachers are great, but the workload is pretty huge, and the hours are long compared to some other courses out there! its a LOT of work, and you have to work hard. as well as written exams you will have regular practical assessments where you have to demonstrate the manual skills you are learning.

hope that helps.

thanks, just one more thing, when you said written exams how long were they and how many do you think you did termly? :smile:
ruqayyah1992

Heya,

I'm at ESO, and really enjoying it! So I'm sorry I can't directly answer your question, but the age in my class ranges from 18 to about 50... most people are around 21. There is about 50/50 split males/females. It is quite multicultural - more continental than British students. I haven't got a clue about sexuality!

But ESO is awesome :smile: Feel free to ask any questions!
strawberry_princess
Wow, I thought I had considered all career options but never considered Osteopathy. Had a little look and it looks really interesting! Can any one give me any info about it?? What exactly it is etc.

Heya!

Thats a hard one - osteopaths tend to disagree about what osteopathy actually is! Also the different schools also have different definitions. But basically it is a manual manipulation therapy (so similar to physiotherapy and chiropractic) which believes that pain can be treated by restoring the body to a better posistion... if that makes sense... I've only been studying a few weeks though - so I guess it will change. It is also hard to define without osteo speak!

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! Its a really interesting course with theory and practical - so looking into it is really good :smile:
Reply 12
vernier calipers
Heya!

Thats a hard one - osteopaths tend to disagree about what osteopathy actually is! Also the different schools also have different definitions. But basically it is a manual manipulation therapy (so similar to physiotherapy and chiropractic) which believes that pain can be treated by restoring the body to a better posistion... if that makes sense... I've only been studying a few weeks though - so I guess it will change. It is also hard to define without osteo speak!

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! Its a really interesting course with theory and practical - so looking into it is really good :smile:

hi thanks for advice i have an interview onthw 11th dec, so prayin i'll do well but i kinda have no idea what to expect...?
ruqayyah1992
hi thanks for advice i have an interview onthw 11th dec, so prayin i'll do well but i kinda have no idea what to expect...?

Where is your interview for? Mine were all so different - but I can tell you what I had if you like?

They all asked me about osteopathy/physio/chiropractic....
Reply 14
vernier calipers
Where is your interview for? Mine were all so different - but I can tell you what I had if you like?

They all asked me about osteopathy/physio/chiropractic....

my interview is at BSO and its my first one so im nervous :s-smilie: i'drealy appreiate your help:biggrin: thanks
ruqayyah1992
my interview is at BSO and its my first one so im nervous :s-smilie: i'drealy appreiate your help:biggrin: thanks

ok! well um BSO is probably the weirdest one - are they still doing an assessment style interview? It was actually all together quite fun. They made us try out a technique on a student (which I'm strangely learning at the minute) just to check we were happy with having patient contact... and that you can be professional. They then did this weird role play thing where one student was pretending to be an OAP and we had to help them across the lecture theatre! So altogether that was really fun...

We had to do some questions in a test which was multiple choice... I think the questions came from the BMAT but were just general a-level biology questions... I don't really know why they bother with that!

Then we had an interview... they just asked me about what I had put in my personal statement. Asked me why I had applied and how I would explain ostopathy to someone who had never heard of it. So it wasn't really that grilling... but it was my second interview - but definitely the longest...

Is there anything else you want to know?

Good luck! Have fun!
Reply 16
vernier calipers
ok! well um BSO is probably the weirdest one - are they still doing an assessment style interview? It was actually all together quite fun. They made us try out a technique on a student (which I'm strangely learning at the minute) just to check we were happy with having patient contact... and that you can be professional. They then did this weird role play thing where one student was pretending to be an OAP and we had to help them across the lecture theatre! So altogether that was really fun...

We had to do some questions in a test which was multiple choice... I think the questions came from the BMAT but were just general a-level biology questions... I don't really know why they bother with that!

Then we had an interview... they just asked me about what I had put in my personal statement. Asked me why I had applied and how I would explain ostopathy to someone who had never heard of it. So it wasn't really that grilling... but it was my second interview - but definitely the longest...

Is there anything else you want to know?

Good luck! Have fun!

NO thanks you've been very heplful, i have the interview tomorrow morning so i'm a little nervous, thanks for all the help! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Hi I was wondering if you could help me, I have an interview for BSO this june and I needed some advice on what to expect because I received a letter, asking that I would be doing a written assessment. I would appreciate any advice.
Reply 18
Original post by vernier calipers
Heya,

I'm at ESO, and really enjoying it! So I'm sorry I can't directly answer your question, but the age in my class ranges from 18 to about 50... most people are around 21. There is about 50/50 split males/females. It is quite multicultural - more continental than British students. I haven't got a clue about sexuality!

But ESO is awesome :smile: Feel free to ask any questions!

Hi! I got an interview coming up in March at ESO and I was wondering if you could give me any hints on what kind of questions they ask there. Thanks a lot!
Reply 19
Hi! I got an interview invitation at ESO and was wondering if you could give me any hints on what the the typical interview questions are there. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest