The Student Room Group

Rejected after dietetics interview

Hello, I had my Dietetics interview for Leeds Beckett yesterday which was my dream uni and today I just got rejected but they instead offered me a place on their nutrition course which I am not interested in. I have two unconditional offers from Uni of Leeds for nutrition and nutrition & food science, one for dietetics at Cardiff Met and I’m still waiting to hear back from uni of Newcastle for dietetics but I know I probably won’t get in. I really don’t want to go to Cardiff Met is there any possible way I could reapply to Leeds Beckett through clearing for dietetics in 2024?? Any advice please
Original post by rizlmynizzle
Hello, I had my Dietetics interview for Leeds Beckett yesterday which was my dream uni and today I just got rejected but they instead offered me a place on their nutrition course which I am not interested in. I have two unconditional offers from Uni of Leeds for nutrition and nutrition & food science, one for dietetics at Cardiff Met and I’m still waiting to hear back from uni of Newcastle for dietetics but I know I probably won’t get in. I really don’t want to go to Cardiff Met is there any possible way I could reapply to Leeds Beckett through clearing for dietetics in 2024?? Any advice please

If Leeds Beckett have Dietetics spaces available on A level results day, then they might opt to open it up via Clearing. They might re-consider you at that point. However, given that they have already interviewed you, it may be that the simply decide that you aren't quite what's they're looking for and so opt not to proceed.

Alternatively, if might be that your interview was fine, but that your predicted grades were slightly low (which they'd have overlooked if you'd had absolutely nailed the interview). If that was their reason for not making you an offer, then obtaining a good set a grades on result day, together with the previous interview performance, might be enough for a place there via Clearing. Unfortunately, there are lots of "ifs" and "buts" and "maybes" in the above. :frown:

This Dietetics-specific interview guidance they provided for 2021 entry says, "If you would like feedback following an unsuccessful decision, you should contact us at [email protected] to request this." It's probably worth dropping them an e-mail to establish (a) what any weak areas were - so you can work on those, and (b) to ask if there is the theoretical option of gaining entry via Clearing. Good luck. :crossedf:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If Leeds Beckett have Dietetics spaces available on A level results day, then they might opt to open it up via Clearing. They might re-consider you at that point. However, given that they have already interviewed you, it may be that the simply decide that you aren't quite what's they're looking for and so opt not to proceed.

Alternatively, if might be that your interview was fine, but that your predicted grades were slightly low (which they'd have overlooked if you'd had absolutely nailed the interview). If that was their reason for not making you an offer, then obtaining a good set a grades on result day, together with the previous interview performance, might be enough for a place there via Clearing. Unfortunately, there are lots of "ifs" and "buts" and "maybes" in the above. :frown:

This Dietetics-specific interview guidance they provided for 2021 entry says, "If you would like feedback following an unsuccessful decision, you should contact us at [email protected] to request this." It's probably worth dropping them an e-mail to establish (a) what any weak areas were - so you can work on those, and (b) to ask if there is the theoretical option of gaining entry via Clearing. Good luck. :crossedf:

Thank you for the reply, I am currently so disappointed and upset I am thinking about emailing the guy who interviewed me and basically apologising about my performance and begging him to reconsider my position lol is this a horrible idea?
Thank you for the reply, I am currently so disappointed and upset I am thinking about emailing the guy who interviewed me and basically apologising about my performance and begging him to reconsider my position lol is this a horrible idea?

It's a pretty horrible idea, yes. The best-case scenario is that you manage to persuade him to re-interview you (he's not just going to switch a rejection to an offer). However, a much more likely scenario is that he provides a fairly blunt response (or no response at all), which will make you feel even worse.
Reply 4
Yes it’s a bad idea. Universities that interview tend to rank students on strict criteria so the process is fair, and they therefore have no wiggle room to respond to begging. Should every student that begs get a place - obviously the answer to that is no. And, consider, they may have rejected you because you came across as unprofessional in your interview in some way, so you don’t want to double down.

You’ve been given the email in the post above that the university has provided to request feedback. Write a calm, concise note requesting feedback and in this, as the previous poster suggested, you can state how keen you are on this course, that you’d like to apply again next year, and you’d appreciate any guidance they can give on how to improve your application and interview. Ask about clearing too.

Don’t mention anything you think you did wrong in the interview, you have no idea what they may have noticed or cared about, so don’t draw attention back to any bad elements, you may have had a great interview, but there were just more people that ranked higher than you this year.
I think Worcester still have spaces on their dietetics course.

Hello there,

Congratulations, you have an unconditional offer with us at Cardiff Met! Dietetics is one of the popular courses at Cardiff Met.

We are sorry to hear that you do not want to come to Cardiff Met. But please let us know if you have any questions via [email protected] and we are happy to assist you.

Cardiff Met Admissions.😄

Quick Reply

Latest