The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Applicants 2024

If you're applying to uni for Speech and Language Therapy for 2024 entry, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, ask questions and share your experience of applying so far:

Undergraduate or post graduate course?
Which universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements?
Firm choice?
Insurance choice?
Work/shadowing experience?
Anything else?

Share as little or as much as you are comfortable with.

Please don't share details of interview questions on the forum - it gives those who follow you an unfair advantage. :smile:

@CamembertPaws FYI
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here to support anyone applying if I can! I can't believe it's 9 years ago since I went to uni to study SLT, nearly 10 since I applied! So things have probably changed a bit. But feel free to ask me about what it's like working as an SLT too :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Here to support anyone applying if I can! I can't believe it's 9 years ago since I went to uni to study SLT, nearly 10 since I applied! So things have probably changed a bit. But feel free to ask me about what it's like working as an SLT too :smile:

how is it? Do you enjoy it, and what are the main pros and cons?
Reply 3
Hi,

I am looking to apply to MMedSci Speech and Language Therapy at Sheffield. I graduate from undergraduate in June 2024, and I’ve been told by Newcastle and Reading I must have already graduated before I can apply. I have my heart set in Sheffield does anyone know if I can apply to this course with predicted grades?
Reply 4
Original post by eviemaeeee
Hi,

I am looking to apply to MMedSci Speech and Language Therapy at Sheffield. I graduate from undergraduate in June 2024, and I’ve been told by Newcastle and Reading I must have already graduated before I can apply. I have my heart set in Sheffield does anyone know if I can apply to this course with predicted grades?

Hi,

I am in a same position. I'm doing final year Linguistics at Univesity of Manchester. It seems that only UCL and Sheffield are accepting students on final year for their Masters programme in SLT.

I emailed Sheffield and this is what they said:
"We do accept applications from students in their final year of study if they are on course for a 2:1 degree."

Since we're in uni it's not predicted grades but rather academic transcripts from Year 1 and Year 2. If you get 60 percent or more that proves you're on course for a 2:1 and you can apply for an offer on the condition that you achieve a 60% plus in your final year.

Applications are open for both. Hope to see you in Sheffield, good luck.
(edited 7 months ago)
Im applying for undergrad SLT courses this year-(2024). Do any of you guys have pointers or advice for interviews, as I'm coming from Ireland, is it possible that they will host online interviews for SLT places ? Another thing is that my personal statement doesn't mention any direct SLT work experience as I couldn't get any due to Covid, but I have related work experience such as a week in a primary school. Will I be put at a disadvantage due to this ?
Original post by normaw
If you're applying to uni for Speech and Language Therapy for 2024 entry, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, ask questions and share your experience of applying so far:

Firm choice?
Insurance choice?
Anything else?

Please don't share details of interview questions on the forum - it gives those who follow you an unfair advantage. :smile:

@CamembertPaws FYI

Undergraduate or post graduate course? Post grad (hopefully!) Got a BA in Linguistics, English Language & German
Which universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements? Newcastle, Leeds Beckett (& Sheffield Uni for apprenticeship?) Not sure if York St John are doing a SaLT MSc this year but heard this on the grapevine?
Firm choice? Newcastle
Insurance choice? Leeds Beckett
Work/shadowing experience? Shadowed a bit with local NHS SaLT teams (paeds), also volunteered with an Aphasia charity online. Former MFL teacher too. Recently got a Level 1-2 in Makaton (in the hope it helps with my application, as well as general interest). In my current role, I am hoping to lead on some baby/ toddler speech courses but they are more to help parents understand how speech develops so they can help their children acquire it.
Anything else?
Already applied last year and got declined due to lack of points in an interview- apparently I only missed it by 1-2 points! I was devastated so I'm really determined this year!
Reply 7
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing A Levels in Psychology, Politics, English Language and Art, and I'm going to be applying for SLT in 2024. Some unis ask for a science A Level (including Psychology) or just a range of different A Levels, apart from newcastle who ask for one of the main 3 sciences. Am I less likely to get in to SLT because I havent done chemistry, biology or physics at A Level?

(any advice would be great :smile: )
Original post by Burney7
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing A Levels in Psychology, Politics, English Language and Art, and I'm going to be applying for SLT in 2024. Some unis ask for a science A Level (including Psychology) or just a range of different A Levels, apart from newcastle who ask for one of the main 3 sciences. Am I less likely to get in to SLT because I havent done chemistry, biology or physics at A Level?

Unis have to be open about what subjects they will accept, so if they don't state chemistry, biology or physics as a required subject then you don't need it. Give Newcastle a miss and apply to courses that don't require a core science.
Reply 9
Can't do multi-quotes but a couple of things I've seen I might be able to help with (I went to DMU as it happens - not the most commonly discussed uni on these threads but it did well for me).

I applied pre-covid and one uni wanted to interview me face to face, and another was happy to do an online interview. I ended up going to the uni that did an online interview as circumstances worked out - that was pre-covid so I'm guessing online interviews might be more common now.

The A-levels thing - the closest I have to a science A-level is psychology... was not an issue - they were looking for competence communicating and proficiency with the English language (I think I clearly referenced it as such on my application if memory serves - and Politics was one of my A-levels too). Psychology was actually a big help for some of the first year content as well.

In terms of work experience - I did have a lot because I applied as a mature student from a teaching background - but the main thing that seemed to swing my application that was successful was that I had the ability to understand the impact of communication difficulties on an individual and to empathise because I had experience having a child with significant SLCN. Also having an awareness of the sheer range that SLT can cover in terms of different client groups (things like adults, mental health, criminal justice etc) so you're not just focusing on the stereotype of teaching little kids to say their "s"s; plus awareness that dysphagia is a big element in some SLT roles and that the courses currently recruiting are going to be training you in this as well... and an awareness that the travel distances given for placements can be chuffing well awful!
I'm applying to SLT Masters courses (background in Linguistics).

I heard that the main difference between the London courses is that City is more practical whereas @UCL is more research-based.
What are the differences between the courses at @Sheffield and Leeds Beckett?
Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight / impressions of even just one of them!

(Also might consider MMU and QMU, so if anyone has any insight on what it's like at these unis I'd appreciate it.)
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by eviemaeeee
Hi,

I've emailed quite a few unis to ask this exact same question (including Sheffield), and Newcastle and Reading were the only two (well, the only two that I asked) that require you to have graduated before applying. So should be fine :smile:
Original post by normaw

Firm choice?
Insurance choice?
Anything else?

@CamembertPaws FYI

Hi everyone,
i'm applying for this course in 2025 and i'm now doing my first year of A- Levels. I was wondering if Psychology, English and CTEC Sport are good subjects to chose?
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Hiii,
im planning on applying for SLP and im doing A- Level english and psychology along with CTEC Sport. Are these options good for SLT?
Thank you!!!!
Original post by normaw

Firm choice?
Insurance choice?
Anything else?

@CamembertPaws FYI

Hi guys,
Im applying for MSc SaLT (postgraduate)
Which universities are you (hoping) to apply for: UCL/ESSEX/CITY

Entry requirements? 1st or 2:1 in a relevant subject like Linguistics, Education, Communication. An Interview, A DBS and Good level of English.

Work/shadowing experience? I work with children, youth with SLCN, autism, and other needs. I've worked in schools (mainstream and alternative settings/ primary and secondary). I've volunteered in library's and youth clubs.

Anything else? I'm nervous but excited 😊
Original post by Burney7
Hi everyone,

I was looking at SLT course for city, uni of London and the entry requirements aren't specific, however BTECs need to be science based. As you're doing psychology, I think you will be fine
Original post by brmcdonnell
Undergraduate or post graduate course? Post grad (hopefully!) Got a BA in Linguistics, English Language & German
Which universities are you (hoping) to apply for? Entry requirements? Newcastle, Leeds Beckett (& Sheffield Uni for apprenticeship?) Not sure if York St John are doing a SaLT MSc this year but heard this on the grapevine?
Firm choice? Newcastle
Insurance choice? Leeds Beckett
Work/shadowing experience? Shadowed a bit with local NHS SaLT teams (paeds), also volunteered with an Aphasia charity online. Former MFL teacher too. Recently got a Level 1-2 in Makaton (in the hope it helps with my application, as well as general interest). In my current role, I am hoping to lead on some baby/ toddler speech courses but they are more to help parents understand how speech develops so they can help their children acquire it.
Anything else?
Already applied last year and got declined due to lack of points in an interview- apparently I only missed it by 1-2 points! I was devastated so I'm really determined this year!

Hello! Good luck in your application! I was just wondering if you knew what the points mean in the interview i.e. how they give them/what for? Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Speechie_06
Im applying for undergrad SLT courses this year-(2024). Do any of you guys have pointers or advice for interviews, as I'm coming from Ireland, is it possible that they will host online interviews for SLT places ? Another thing is that my personal statement doesn't mention any direct SLT work experience as I couldn't get any due to Covid, but I have related work experience such as a week in a primary school. Will I be put at a disadvantage due to this ?

Hey, all the best luck! I’m currently a first year and all of my interviews were online, which may have changed but if it follows this pattern I think you’ll be fine. As for the experience, it won’t disadvantage you at all just make sure to reference why your experience has prepared you to be an SLT :smile:
Reply 18
Hey, I’m currently a first year at the University of Manchester so I’m very aware of the more current interviews/struggles with personal statements so if you have any questions I’d be more than happy to help 😁
Reply 19
Original post by Burney7
Hi everyone,

hey! i know you've received a few replies already, but i'm currently a first year SLT student (manchester met) and i had this exact same concern last year as i took a levels in english language, politics and sociology.

don't worry though, i've had absolutely no struggles so far with content, and i wasn't at a disadvantage during the process of receiving offers (my firm was MMU and insurance was Sheffield) so you'll 100% be okay!!

Quick Reply

Latest