The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
I haven't got mine either, don't know how many days more I need to wait ? :-s.

About the price, it slightly increases this year, e.g in Goldney it brought down from 3500 to approx 3650 per year which I know from reading through the online prospectus.

Does anyone know if that price includes bill charges for example : internet, water, electricity, gas or not. 'Cause when I went to Warwick Uni, the guy study there told me that I need to pay an extra fee for internet here in Bristol. Is that right ?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2061
insainet
Does anyone know if that price includes bill charges for example : internet, water, electricity, gas or not. 'Cause when I went to Warwick Uni, the guy study there told me that I need to pay an extra fee for internet here in Bristol. Is that right ?

£55/year for internet.
Reply 2062
Hehe thank you, so that's all the bill I need to pay within a year ?
insainet
Hehe thank you, so that's all the bill I need to pay within a year ?

For the internet yup. Although your first accommodation payment will probably include things like JCR membership fee and returnable deposit on your room.
Reilly
..........from my experience of places that people tend to talk down.....usually those who frequent them become fiercely protective and loyal. I've always preferred going to the dive clubs where you stick to the floor but everyone's in it together....than to go to the shiny new ones where you feel obligated to enjoy it.

I quite agree! It's like that with my 6th form - everyone in the other colleges and 6th form's talk down about it, but we're a really close knit group. It's great.
Reply 2065
Hey people...

I was interested in the Durdham Hall...jus wanted to ask a couple of questions

1) What is the accomdation like...atmosphere/rooms / common rooms etc?
2) The Accomodation book says a 35min walk...what transport facilities are there, i.e can you reach the uni by bus, if so how long does it take and how much does it cost?
3) The 35min walk...is the journey safe, say when you come back from clubbing at night etc

Would appreciate any help...many thanks
pictures would be great :biggrin:
Raj.King
Hey people...

2) The Accomodation book says a 35min walk...what transport facilities are there, i.e can you reach the uni by bus, if so how long does it take and how much does it cost?
3) The 35min walk...is the journey safe, say when you come back from clubbing at night etc

1) beautiful hall, quite big rooms, ridiculously quiet shown through Durdham's perpetually empty bar

2)There's the bus though its quite expensive (£1.70 to uni, £3 for one day student can be bought on the bus) Bus takes 15-20 mins depending on the location of your department; though I really advise you consider walking it really is a great way to build relationships. Oh and its free!

3) Bear in mind Bristol is a Big City I wouldn't advise walking home at night especially on your own. A taxi with friends into town costs £2, which is definitly the option I advise. Having said that, criminal attacks against students aren't exactly rampant but they do happen.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Raj.King
Hey people...

Durdham is apparently quiet, but i've never been there so couldnt say...

Everybody i know walks to uni everyday, they don't get buses.

Don't go across the downs at night to get to halls.... Apparently the downs has the highest no of cases of male rape :s-smilie: lol
Bristol is a city and so you should take the same precautions as you would anywhere. However, Whiteladies road is a major thoroughfare and even late at night there are people around. Walking across the downs is fine provided you stick to the well lit road. Remember also the section of the downs we have to cross (Durdham down?) is safer than the rather than the larger, somewhat scarier Clifton Downs.
Reply 2069
mmm...looks like I dont want to go there now lol

What about Goldney...?
If I apply there, how likely am I to get an en-suite room?
(I really cant do shared bathrooms lol)
Raj.King
mmm...looks like I dont want to go there now lol

What about Goldney...?
If I apply there, how likely am I to get an en-suite room?
(I really cant do shared bathrooms lol)

Not likely. They usually give them to people who actually NEED them for medical reasons.

As long as you are sensible and don't walk alone, you would be fine at Durdham. Do you think all the students who live there this year are scared of the walk? Doubt it. They just get a taxi ^_^
Got my prospectus this morning - it's a lot nicer to read it on paper rather than on a screen :smile:

Ahh decisions decisions.
Reply 2072
Still haven't got mine yet ! Maybe on Monday !!! :frown:
Hi. Why aren't people talking about Unite House? How's the place? Are they over or under-subscribed? Are they connected to the Internet via ResNet or only through Unite's U-Want Internet at much higher cost? Thanks.
medistorm
Hi. Why aren't people talking about Unite House? How's the place? Are they over or under-subscribed? Are they connected to the Internet via ResNet or only through Unite's U-Want Internet at much higher cost? Thanks.

I don't know how true the rumours are, but pretty much everything I hear about Unite run properties are negative. What was it that attracted you to living there?
Unite house isn't an actual hall.... So it's not for people who want the 'hall experience'. A lot of international students go there, 2nd years etc can apply as well. i looked round there a few months ago, but thought it looked pretty scruffy and horrible (maybe it was just the 'show flat' that was all guys who never cleaned up/doors hanging off the cupboards in the kitchen/ lights not working etc but i just didn't like it) ... i do believe it has resnet tho.
Paranoid Kid
I don't know how true the rumours are, but pretty much everything I hear about Unite run properties are negative. What was it that attracted you to living there?

Yeah Unite are horrid to deal with...last year I had accepted a place in Cardiff and applied to the Unite housing there.....realising I actually didnt want to go to cardiff I got my offer withdrawn and told unite in the May that I was no longer wanting a room there.....luckily I hadn't paid the deposit....but for months afterward i kept getting letters off them asking about my deposit and warning me i'd be liable for a fee if i didn't send my docs in on time....I emailed/spoke to them including head office about 12 times in total....and to top it all off a couple of weeks ago I had a letter in relation to my "tenancy" at Unite!!!...apparently I've been living there all year.

Personally I would stay faaaaaaaaaaaarrr away from private companies who provide hall accommodation...the university is ultimately interested in you as a student and helping you out and supporting you....unite and other companies are just interested in your money and couldnt care less about your welfare. I don't care if I end up in the worst house Bristol has to offer I would go there rather than deal with unite (same is true of the company NYT uses in greenwich every year...i've stayed there twice and they're just as bad...its not just Unite all of them are corporate uncaring money grabbers)

little rant over....but seriously Unite has got on my nerves this year....their administration is insane (I would liken it to trying to get aol off your pc...if any ofyou have ever tried that.....or deleting a myspace account)
Conveniences is the most important criteria so 1st choice would be CHH. And I for certain don't fancy the long distanced SB.

Others near the university like Goldney, Manor, Hawthrone, Richmond Terrace, Woodland Court etc with sizable number of students are all pretty popular so risky to put down as 2nd choice. So the safer pet is to put down one of the small Student House or Unite. Unite seems to be not popular (hence safe to be 2nd choice), with sizable population and it has 46 weeks contract making cost for en suite pretty reasonable when compared to the others.

I asked about ResNet because on Unite website, they only mentioned about accessing Internet being through their commercial U-Want arrangement which is at much higher cost and nothing about free phone calls to anywhere in university.

So what do you fellows think? Would love to hear from those who actually been in university for sometimes now to give me more accurate pictures. Thanks in advance.
Question about Rodney Place. Does anyone know exactly where it is?

One university map seems to put it next to Hillside which is beyond the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Yet the university put it's walking distance as 15 mins, the same as Clifton Hill Hall. so my question is, where is Rodney? Is it near to Hillside or to Clifton Hall and these 2 places are pretty far apart.

And any other information appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/maps/accommodation-map.html
medistorm
Question about Rodney Place. Does anyone know exactly where it is?

One university map seems to put it next to Hillside which is beyond the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Yet the university put it's walking distance as 15 mins, the same as Clifton Hill Hall. so my question is, where is Rodney? Is it near to Hillside or to Clifton Hall and these 2 places are pretty far apart.

And any other information appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/maps/accommodation-map.html

I'd actually never heard of it before, I wonder if it's new this year? Anyhow, according to google its in a really good location, just off Portland road in Clifton, which puts it close to Princess Victoria Street and stuff. 15 minutes is about fair I would say, depending on where you're walking to.

Latest

Trending

Trending