The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stellanyx
Thanks for your advice!(:

Ensuite uni accommodation sounds like it'll be a good balance between privacy and a social life!(: guess i'll pick that!

About the uni halls, what about self-catered ones? I enjoy cooking! Understand the accommodation office tries to allocate a good mix of students together, any ideas which of the halls below are suited for LLB students then - i.e. nearer to lectures, law school? Self-catered w ensuite seems to be only Goldney, Hawthorns, Woodland Court, Winkworth and Uni Hall. Or will school be too busy that its better to have my meals settled by Wills?

Thanks again! Your opinions are much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you enjoy cooking I would go self-catered. I only do the odd bit of baking with friends and I still missed having an oven. Well both Goldney and the Hawthorns are oversubscribed so you'll have to pick a second choice if you want one of those two but I've heard apparently the ensuites aren't that oversubscribed in Goldney... although that will vary year on year. Uni hall is nicknamed poverty hall, it's apparently really friendly but the facilities are really basic and it's not near to the lectures, although the bus service is good. I don't know much about Winkworth house. I've heard richmond terrace is nice and that's also ensuite. I'd guess you'd get the most law students out of those options in Goldney - but that's just a guess :P
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 7981
Original post by xfirekittyx
If you enjoy cooking I would go self-catered. I only do the odd bit of baking with friends and I still missed having an oven. Well both Goldney and the Hawthorns are oversubscribed so you'll have to pick a second choice if you want one of those two but I've heard apparently the ensuites aren't that oversubscribed in Goldney... although that will vary year on year. Uni hall is nicknamed poverty hall, it's apparently really friendly but the facilities are really basic and it's not near to the lectures, although the bus service is good. I don't know much about Winkworth house. I've heard richmond terrace is nice and that's also ensuite. I'd guess you'd get the most law students out of those options in Goldney - but that's just a guess :P

They try and spread students of the same subjects out so if lots of law people apply to one hall not all will get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by astrojg
They try and spread students of the same subjects out so if lots of law people apply to one hall not all will get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if this applies to sharing a room as well? I'd probably apply for a shared room in St Michaels Hill and I met a nice girl through facebook with the same preferences. So provided our two choices are exactly the same, and our hobbies and interests - similar, is there a chance to be in a room together (we're both applying for MEng Computer Science)?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7983
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
Do you know if this applies to sharing a room as well? I'd probably apply for a shared room in St Michaels Hill and I met a nice girl through facebook with the same preferences. So provided our two choices are exactly the same, and our hobbies and interests - similar, is there a chance to be in a room together (we're both applying for MEng Computer Science)?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/apply/ If you look here under guidance notes there is an additional notes section of the application where you can put who you want to share with if you have someone in particular. If you both do this i can't see them putting you separately
Original post by astrojg
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/apply/ If you look here under guidance notes there is an additional notes section of the application where you can put who you want to share with if you have someone in particular. If you both do this i can't see them putting you separately

Ah, thank you, I'll have that in mind. The thing is we only know each other 'virtually' and we cannot say whether living together would be a good thing...but we hope. Wow, confused me is confused. :biggrin:
Got an unconditional for economics and finance starting in October. Torn between the hawthorns, Richmond terrace and wink worth ... Does anybody know the pros/cons of each of them? Or which are the most sociable? Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by millie-rose
Anyone have any reviews/ideas of what Churchill House is like? I love Goldney but an en-suite is my main importance so it's not really an option. Was looking at Churchill? Anyone have any idea what it's like? :-)

Churchill is a great hall, but the en-suite rooms are all in 'The Holmes' which is a seperate building slightly out of the way from the rest of Churchill. I would not recommend Churchill for en-suites.
However, I'd persuade you to reconsider en-suite as a preference - you're really not getting much more for your money with an en-suite: you still get basins in most rooms. Also, places with en-suites are often known to be less social for whatever reason.
Original post by ~Eli~
Hello :smile: I have a vet offer for Bristol which I'm really thinking about firming but i was wondering about accommodation.
I have a BS postcode and as far as I know this means I'm not guaranteed accommodation. I live about 45 mins away from Bristol, though, so living at home isn't that practical, and I would really like to be in Stoke Bishop. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances of getting into a Stoke Bishop hall are? Thanks

As far as I'm aware this shouldn't affect you too much. Perhaps apply to a less highly subscribed hall (eg. Hiatt Baker) and you should have a reasonable chance.
Original post by himynameisjake
Churchill is a great hall, but the en-suite rooms are all in 'The Holmes' which is a seperate building slightly out of the way from the rest of Churchill. I would not recommend Churchill for en-suites.
However, I'd persuade you to reconsider en-suite as a preference - you're really not getting much more for your money with an en-suite: you still get basins in most rooms. Also, places with en-suites are often known to be less social for whatever reason.

Thanks for the advice. I need an en-suite more for personal reasons (medical) so it's not an option to go anywhere else :/ So Churchill or not haha?
Reply 7989
Hey sorry this has probably been posted twenty million times but I couldn't find it on the last few pages - when can we apply for accomodation? I know postgrad opened today, but what about undergrad? :/
Original post by :Katie:
Hey sorry this has probably been posted twenty million times but I couldn't find it on the last few pages - when can we apply for accomodation? I know postgrad opened today, but what about undergrad? :/

3rd June :smile:
Reply 7991
3rd June :smile:

ah fantastic, thank you! :biggrin:
ah fantastic, thank you! :biggrin:

You're welcome! :tongue: Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 7993
You're welcome! :tongue: Where are you thinking of applying?

Goldney I think.... whether I get in is an entirely different matter :wink: You?
Goldney I think.... whether I get in is an entirely different matter :wink: You?

I think I've decided on 61/63 St Michaels Hill, but there's a lot of time to change my mind again :biggrin:
Reply 7995
I think I've decided on 61/63 St Michaels Hill, but there's a lot of time to change my mind again :biggrin:

Haha true :P I liked that one, looked nice on the website anyway :redface:
I'm certain I'm going self-catered and in Clifton. I'm also pretty certain that I'll just want a sink in my room and not en-suite just to save as much as possible. I'm very unsure as to which accommodation i will go for though; can anyone suggest the nicest accommodations with the above criteria? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Selym95
I'm certain I'm going self-catered and in Clifton. I'm also pretty certain that I'll just want a sink in my room and not en-suite just to save as much as possible. I'm very unsure as to which accommodation i will go for though; can anyone suggest the nicest accommodations with the above criteria? Thanks :biggrin:

Well, only 5 halls/houses are listed under 'Clifton', but as far as I know everything in the city centre is thought as Clifton (I know I can't explain well :biggrin: ). Anyway, do you want a big hall or you are ok with smaller houses? There are a lot of options fitting your criteria, so you may narrow them even more. How much do you want to spend weekly on accommodation - I mean, less than how much? :biggrin:
Well, only 5 halls/houses are listed under 'Clifton', but as far as I know everything in the city centre is thought as Clifton (I know I can't explain well :biggrin: ). Anyway, do you want a big hall or you are ok with smaller houses? There are a lot of options fitting your criteria, so you may narrow them even more. How much do you want to spend weekly on accommodation - I mean, less than how much? :biggrin:

I understand what you mean :smile:. Hmm. I'd certainly prefer a bigger, more social accommodation opposed to a smaller choice. Again, don't mind too much and i would imagine they are all pretty similar price wise if they aren't catered? :s-smilie:

Thanks a lot for the reply!
Reply 7999
Is anyone else thinking about going into Durdham Hall?
It seems like the best one for me, but I don't see it talked about much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending