The Student Room Group

Too Young To Do GCSE's?

My daughters go to a Grammar school and they are starting the current year 8's on their full set of GCSE's a year early.

One will be starting in year 9 in Sept this year, so needs to choose her options soon. She'll be 13 when she starts doing them (14 in the Dec).

Her sister is 20m younger than her, but only 1 school year behind her, so she'll be just 13 (by 5 days!) when she starts her GCSE's.

What do you all think?

Too Early, or does it work in giving them an extra year to fit in extra GCSE's and A levels, or even change their mind?

Would you have liked to do your GCSE's early?
Reply 1
That's quite young, how many are they doing?
I did one early, but only a year early and am glad I got it out of the way. Though I think I would be very anxious if I was that age and doing them - I'm still worried now. If the school believes they are able to do them, I don't see why not.
Reply 2
seven or eight I'm assuming.

We have a meeting next month to discuss options and which ones she will take.
Reply 3
Are they very bright? Is it a very academic school? At what age do they do a levels?
Well, it's only a year early, and your daughters are obviously very bright, so it shoud be fine. I don't think it's that unusual among grammar school students, and that would give them the chance to have a gap year after A-levels but still start university at 18. I don't know if I would have liked to do them early, but it shouldn't do them any harm.
No Future
Are they very bright? Is it a very academic school? At what age do they do a levels?

I would have thought it would be a very academic school since it's a grammar school. If they still did GCSEs over 2 years and A-levels over 2 years, they'd do GCSEs from 13-15 and A-levels from 15-17.
Reply 6
If they can handle it, they can do GCSEs a year early. The timing is just right after your daughters finishes A-levels, as their ages will be 17 or near 18. If the daughters are 17, she could apply to uni and defer that entry so she will be 18 when entering university.

If you have a problem regarding this problem, you could contact the school about it.
kellywood_5
I would have thought it would be a very academic school since it's a grammar school. If they still did GCSEs over 2 years and A-levels over 2 years, they'd do GCSEs from 13-15 and A-levels from 15-17.

lol our school is a grammar school, and only a small proportion of students obtain all A's at A-Level, despite the grade inflation.
Reply 8
I took 7 GCSEs a year early and didn’t find it a problem, although I did them in 1 year (started and finished the course in yr 10) so it is a slightly different situation. Some schools are now introducing a new accelerated curriculum, so it isn’t really very unusual to sit some, if not all of your GCSEs early. i personally think that it is a great idea, because what they currently teach in year 9 is a total waste of time. I missed almost all of yr 9, and still managed to go into year 10 at the normal age, with no gaps/ catch up problems whatsoever. GCSEs aren’t really that hard, and if your daughters are able then it shouldn’t be a problem for them at all. if they don’t get the grades that they want first time around, they can always take an extra year without having lost anytime at all.
i dont think its its too bad. I did 2 GCSE's when i was in year 9- latin and music and found it quite mangeable. After all GCSEs nowdays are more like how much of the revision guide can u remember and copy on the exam paper, than having to think. If your daughters are academic capable i thinks its a good idea. Looking back years 10/11 were pretty much wasted for me and i didnt really learn much.
Reply 10
seems the consensus of opinion is it's a good idea!

Thanks for that.... made me feel better and that it shouldn't do them any harm!!!

Now...... how to get them to study for them and do the revision!!!! :biggrin:

Thanks again

soosi
i did my gcse arabic last year when i was in yr 8 and this yr im doin A2 and AS
arabic by the way i go to a grammar school :cool:
soosi
My daughters go to a Grammar school and they are starting the current year 8's on their full set of GCSE's a year early.

One will be starting in year 9 in Sept this year, so needs to choose her options soon. She'll be 13 when she starts doing them (14 in the Dec).

Her sister is 20m younger than her, but only 1 school year behind her, so she'll be just 13 (by 5 days!) when she starts her GCSE's.

What do you all think?

Too Early, or does it work in giving them an extra year to fit in extra GCSE's and A levels, or even change their mind?

Would you have liked to do your GCSE's early?

In my Opinion that is too early to start your GCSE's. At the age of 13 many kids are do not have enough knowledge and are not mature enough to take on the responsiblities of GCSE's such as completing coursework. I think that some would be able to pass their GCSE's if they were Intellegent for their age but GCSE's are a big step up from Key stage 3 exams and therefore I think it is wrong that the pupils that are less acedemic than the best students would suffer. I'd advise you to consider what the limits of your children are. Are they good acedemic students. Do they hand in their homework on time? I don't know what your kids are like so I can't help out too much, but I think that a discussion with your children's headteacher would be very helpful and would help you to understand the reasons why starting GCSEs early would be beneficial.
Reply 13
i took my first gcse (Maths) at age 12 and i got an A*.... so i'd say anythings possible if you have confidence in your girls....and if the school feels like they can do it.....how have their grades been otherwise?
Reply 14
I took my Maths GCSE when i was in year 6, but i only got a B (sorry to anyone who got a B in yr11 and was fine with it) so im doing it now in yr11 and pred an A*, i think unless your daughters seem to be struggling with all the work (surely theyv'e got SATS to do someime as well), althoug SATS werent exactly hard, then thy should be fine,and their young enough that should they mess up on any they can re-sit without any reall qualms about it.
Reply 15
I understand that as a parent you want to give your children the best satr in life with the best oppourtunities etc. i was just wondering whether you had discussed all the options with your children at any stage during the process- forgive me if i appear rude but surely their wishes are paramount. I can see the argument that they are not yet old enough to really know what is best for them etc but if you expect them to do their gcse's so early and expect them to be mature enough tomaster them successfully then surely they are mature enough to make an informed choice.
Would like to know what you think about my view- does anyone else agree/ disagree?
Reply 16
I think they should wait a year... not for acedemic purposes, but for social purposes.
Reply 17
I don't think there is such things as too young if you have the ability, and plus GCSE is not about intelligence anyways.
Reply 18
Feria
I think they should wait a year... not for acedemic purposes, but for social purposes.

yeah...but if they spend all their time studying, no social life, then I'd say they should go outside and kick ass :smile:

Latest